Author Topic: Now that we know KG makes 11 mil next year, how is the rest of the cap spent?  (Read 14757 times)

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Inculding players already under contract and expected contracts for our 2 rookies (PP/KG/RR/AB/FM/JS/JJ/EM), we could sign the following players to these approx. amounts.

Green-7m
Allen-5m
Stiemsma-2.5m

This would leave us at approx. 60m.  We'd still have to do something with Bass, which might take another 5m-6m, but we could very easily have about 10m under the tax apron.  This would give us use of the Full MLE and bi-annual exception.

$2.5 mil for Stiemsma sounds a bit rich. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Offline wasi

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
25 mil total to start

- KG 3 years , lets say 33 mil to make it an even 11 mil a year

then lets say you...

- Resign JG for 2 years,14 mil  = 7 mil per

You only have 7 mil left under the cap . That means you are going to try and sign a 7 mil player(Mayo? but he probably wants more or a Kaman) and fill out the rest of the roster with vet min contracts (Will Ray come back as a vet min guy ? I doubt it )

or

you are going to use the bird right to resign everyone else and not sign Mayo or any other free agent center thats 5 mil or more

Meaning you could bring back

-Ray on a 1 year deal
-Pietrues on 1 year deal
-Kristic on a 1 year deal

and I guess either try to s+t Bass for Mayo or just let him walk. I don't see any way the c's will give Bass a multi year deal.

I am thinking they are going to just resign KG and Green, then split the final 7 or 8 mil between Ray and Camby. That's the only realistic way I see our team improving over last year .

I don't see how you sign a Mayo or any other young big man . That final 7 or 8 mil will have to be split amongst older vets that are looking to get a ring

PG: Rondo       / Bradley         / Dooling
SG: Bradley     / Ray             / Moore
PF: PP          / Green           / Pietrus(vet min)
PF: Sullinger   / JJJ             / Green (or Wilcox if vet min)
 C: KG          / Camby           / Melo

Anyone have any better ideas of how we can get a shooter and a defensive paint presence splitting 7 or 8 mil? I think this is our best chance....

I think you forgot to add in the rookie contracts of Melo and Sullinger. I'm not positive on the amounts but it's somewhere around 3 Million each I believe. There is Room for Green but after that it get's tough.

We do not have Jeff Greens rights switch. Bass is unrestricted right? If so then if we're over the cap we cant s&t so it depends on what else we do.

I believe the 25 mil in cap space takes the rookies into account  Not positive, but others on here have said that . It's going to be really tight trying to add more talent besides KG,Green and probably Ray .

Yeah that did take the rookies into account, I wasn't expecting to hear anything til later on so I haven't done my homework haha. So after KG it's 14 Mil.

I'm a little more optimistic now since it sounds like we're going to fall under the tax apron so we have 14 Mil plus the 5 Mil MLE. Very excited to see what Danny does with it.

To me Bass isn't as needed now with KG, Sullinger and Johnson not to mention Green playing some minutes there if he signs. Only thing is if you sign and trade for Mayo what does that mean for Ray? You cant really have Bradley, Mayo and Ray split the SG minutes. I think Mayo is a better way to go just because I think he has a lot of untapped potential. Not the 3 point threat Ray is but he can run the floor and create his own offense. No offense to Ray but watching our offense watch him try to get open off screens for the first 15 seconds is getting old.

One huge problem is that we don't have a starting C and Stiemsma isn't that guy. I mean Kaman is alright but I think he's a bad fit and Camby fits a little better but is he interested?

LEHGOCELTICS

25 mil total to start

- KG 3 years , lets say 33 mil to make it an even 11 mil a year

then lets say you...

- Resign JG for 2 years,14 mil  = 7 mil per

You only have 7 mil left under the cap . That means you are going to try and sign a 7 mil player(Mayo? but he probably wants more or a Kaman) and fill out the rest of the roster with vet min contracts (Will Ray come back as a vet min guy ? I doubt it )

or

you are going to use the bird right to resign everyone else and not sign Mayo or any other free agent center thats 5 mil or more

Meaning you could bring back

-Ray on a 1 year deal
-Pietrues on 1 year deal
-Kristic on a 1 year deal

and I guess either try to s+t Bass for Mayo or just let him walk. I don't see any way the c's will give Bass a multi year deal.

I am thinking they are going to just resign KG and Green, then split the final 7 or 8 mil between Ray and Camby. That's the only realistic way I see our team improving over last year .

I don't see how you sign a Mayo or any other young big man . That final 7 or 8 mil will have to be split amongst older vets that are looking to get a ring

PG: Rondo       / Bradley         / Dooling
SG: Bradley     / Ray             / Moore
PF: PP          / Green           / Pietrus(vet min)
PF: Sullinger   / JJJ             / Green (or Wilcox if vet min)
 C: KG          / Camby           / Melo

Anyone have any better ideas of how we can get a shooter and a defensive paint presence splitting 7 or 8 mil? I think this is our best chance....

I think you forgot to add in the rookie contracts of Melo and Sullinger. I'm not positive on the amounts but it's somewhere around 3 Million each I believe. There is Room for Green but after that it get's tough.

We do not have Jeff Greens rights switch. Bass is unrestricted right? If so then if we're over the cap we cant s&t so it depends on what else we do.

I believe the 25 mil in cap space takes the rookies into account  Not positive, but others on here have said that . It's going to be really tight trying to add more talent besides KG,Green and probably Ray .

Yeah that did take the rookies into account, I wasn't expecting to hear anything til later on so I haven't done my homework haha. So after KG it's 14 Mil.

I'm a little more optimistic now since it sounds like we're going to fall under the tax apron so we have 14 Mil plus the 5 Mil MLE. Very excited to see what Danny does with it.

To me Bass isn't as needed now with KG, Sullinger and Johnson not to mention Green playing some minutes there if he signs. Only thing is if you sign and trade for Mayo what does that mean for Ray? You cant really have Bradley, Mayo and Ray split the SG minutes. I think Mayo is a better way to go just because I think he has a lot of untapped potential. Not the 3 point threat Ray is but he can run the floor and create his own offense. No offense to Ray but watching our offense watch him try to get open off screens for the first 15 seconds is getting old.

One huge problem is that we don't have a starting C and Stiemsma isn't that guy. I mean Kaman is alright but I think he's a bad fit and Camby fits a little better but is he interested?

Would Danny entertain the idea of bringing in JaVale McGee for around 10-11 mil/year? With Garnett aging and our roster full of incapable centers, this may be a nice acquisition.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
just bring back everyone.   Cap space was always a myth.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If they really like Sullinger I'd look at a s&t for Bass. If they really want Mayo I'd look at the same for Ray.

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
What will the cap number be? I've seen 58m-62 mil reported. Isn't the estimate usually well reported by this point?

We have a max of $12m in room with a $58m cap.
We have a max of $16m in room with a $62m cap.
Those figures are with a withdrawal of Stiemer's QO...which was possible in last CBA. Not sure if that's still possible.

There are also other ways to clear room if we think we can use it...trading JJJ or Melo to a team with cap space or a trade exception. Not that there are really beasts out there worth doing this. Unless Ainge plans on going crazy and trying to blow the doors off of the owners of Portland or Nawlins for Batum or Gordon.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
rondohondo, I think you're right that the "free agents" the Cs will be targeting are primarily their own:

Ray Allen
Jeff Green
Brandon Bass
Nenad Krstic

agree...not much better on the market...only non celtic I expect them to go after is Mayo..but I think in the end, the resign all of those guys...

I think they only go after Mayo if they can't/don't resign Ray Allen. I just don't see how there'd be enough minutes to go around with Ray, Avery, OJ, Rondo.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I expect them to seriously explore all S&T options for OJ Mayo (Bass is one possibility). I think regardless of what happens, Ray walks somewhere else. Now that KG is locked up, I expect Boston to go after Jeff Green next. Somehow, I don't expect Ray to look fondly on being #3 (or even #4) on the list of priorities.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If they really like Sullinger I'd look at a s&t for Bass. If they really want Mayo I'd look at the same for Ray.

Yeah I agree. Doubt they have major expectations of Sullinger in year 1, though.  But if they are actually considering trading for Josh Smith then maybe Bass is a guy you want to trade.

Question for experts: I already found out yesterday that a "double sign-and-trade" was possible.  In other words, we can sign Bass to trade to Memphis while Memphis signs OJ Mayo to trade to Boston.  My next question is... can you include multiple players in a sign and trade?  In other words, can you sign Bass and sign Jeff Green, then combine them in a trade for a guy like Josh Smith?

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
I expect them to seriously explore all S&T options for OJ Mayo (Bass is one possibility).

I just don't see the Bass on Memphis fit. Ray would be a better fit there, to be honest. They already will have Gasol and Zach eating up their minutes and I don't see anyone making Speights a huge offer. You don't give 4th bigs above MLE money in a place like Memphis.

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I'd love to see them S&T Bass for a draft pick...seriously that's the only way we can be the Spurs in this league (seems to be the direction they're taking). Then you have two first next year and a high 2nd or 1st and 2 seconds...lots of options here for this team.

Now with KG back in the fold, the Melo pick and Sullinger picks should look 100 times better to fans...Lets get the season started!!!!

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Inculding players already under contract and expected contracts for our 2 rookies (PP/KG/RR/AB/FM/JS/JJ/EM), we could sign the following players to these approx. amounts.

Green-7m
Allen-5m
Stiemsma-2.5m

This would leave us at approx. 60m.  We'd still have to do something with Bass, which might take another 5m-6m, but we could very easily have about 10m under the tax apron.  This would give us use of the Full MLE and bi-annual exception.

I thought we offered Stiems 1mil... did he not take it?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I highly doubt Jeff Green will sign for 7 Million.  According to Falk he has plenty of interest.

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 757
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Jeff green, peaches, steamer, bass, ray or shooting guard. Those wil be the fa Boston gets. Not sure about dooling. If you keep Moore you don't need them both. That would free up a roster spot

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
I highly doubt Jeff Green will sign for 7 Million.  According to Falk he has plenty of interest.

Of course the agent is saying that.

I think 7-8 mil a year sounds about right. 5 years at 38 million. Who is going to offer Jeff more than that?