Author Topic: "Rondo has three hall of famers; a better support cast than CP3/Rose"  (Read 9167 times)

Re: "Rondo has three hall of famers; a better support cast than CP3/Rose"
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 04:11:15 AM »

Offline Jerald7

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
thumbs up

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 05:45:28 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Well, imagine Rondo on the Clippers, Bulls, and Celtics.

I'd say the Bulls would be the most dominant defensive team the NBA has seen in a while, but also one of the worst offensive teams as well.

Rondo would have better numbers with the Clippers, I believe, but their defense wouldn't be Celtics caliber/ They would not be a contender.

I would say that for Rondo as the individual, he'd have more success with the Clippers than Celtics, but he'd have more team success with the Celtics.

I don't agree with this. I understand what you're saying but I think the Bulls bigs would score many more points from Rondo's assists. Even guys like Rip Hamilton and corver would probably get 2-3 more shots per game in the spots they like.

Another good example of a PG who scores a lot, swapping with Rondo would be Russell Westbrook. Westbrook averages something 23 points 5.5 assists and is considered one of the reasons why OKC have gone to the finals.(this is true and I agree 100% with this). But if you swapped the two, would OKC be a better team with Rondo and his 12 points and almost 12 assists a game?
Think about how Perk averaged 10 points per game with Rondo.
He'd have Ibaka, Durant and Harden aswell to dish to, as well as Sefalosha. The last three I mentioned are all roughly 40% from three point land.
Rondo takes less shots than Westbrook so would those shots be going to Harden or Durant?
It's quite shocking how many open passes to Durant, Harden and even the two OKC bigs that Westbrook blatantly misses.
On the other side of the argument, Rondo misses plenty of spot up jumpshots that Westbrook nails.
They can both run the floor and are both very good at finishing or going to the line off fast break opportunities...

Regarding the Bulls, if Perk can average 10 points with Rondo and KG can average 15-20..what could Noah+Boozer+Gibson+Asik average if they had a pass first PG instead of a guy looking to get to the basket every possession?
(Note that the Bulls bigs do get a lot of their points from putbacks/offensive rebounds from Roses drives and his drive and dishes to them so again it's give and take)- but you get the picture.

Add this with Rondo's defensive game and it's pretty debatable how each would do on the opposing team. Makes you think about a players complete game and the teams overall improvement with a particular type of point guard on the floor.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
He definitely has a better supporting cast than CP3, probably better than Rose.  CP3 would limit the scoring and up the assists if he had competent teammates.  Rose would not, he has been and always will be a scoring point guard.  There's nothing wrong with that, it's just who he is.

Even without the ACL injury, I would have to think hard about a straight-up Rondo for D-Rose trade (I would still do it, I just would think hard before I pulled the trigger.)

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »

Offline dawnuts

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Mario Chalmers has a better supporting cast than CP3 and probably Rose. so does that mean....

He definitely has a better supporting cast than CP3, probably better than Rose.  CP3 would limit the scoring and up the assists if he had competent teammates.  Rose would not, he has been and always will be a scoring point guard.  There's nothing wrong with that, it's just who he is.

Even without the ACL injury, I would have to think hard about a straight-up Rondo for D-Rose trade (I would still do it, I just would think hard before I pulled the trigger.)

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 08:45:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo still has a better supporting cast, at least among the starters. Much better, even. Garnett is head and shoulder above the second best players on either team (Blake Griffin isn't there yet, until he becomes a better defender, passer, and figures out again how that 18ft jumper works).

It's worth pointing out that before the season started, when so many people were busy making lists (that generally didn't include Rondo) of franchise players that you could build a contender around, Blake made most of the lists. Now he's seen as head and shoulders below a KG that's a shell of what he was in his prime. Maybe Griffin would get back to that superstar level playing with Rajon.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:14:06 AM by BballTim »

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Well, imagine Rondo on the Clippers, Bulls, and Celtics.

I'd say the Bulls would be the most dominant defensive team the NBA has seen in a while, but also one of the worst offensive teams as well.

Rondo would have better numbers with the Clippers, I believe, but their defense wouldn't be Celtics caliber/ They would not be a contender.

I would say that for Rondo as the individual, he'd have more success with the Clippers than Celtics, but he'd have more team success with the Celtics.

I don't agree with this. I understand what you're saying but I think the Bulls bigs would score many more points from Rondo's assists. Even guys like Rip Hamilton and corver would probably get 2-3 more shots per game in the spots they like.

Another good example of a PG who scores a lot, swapping with Rondo would be Russell Westbrook. Westbrook averages something 23 points 5.5 assists and is considered one of the reasons why OKC have gone to the finals.(this is true and I agree 100% with this). But if you swapped the two, would OKC be a better team with Rondo and his 12 points and almost 12 assists a game?
Think about how Perk averaged 10 points per game with Rondo.
He'd have Ibaka, Durant and Harden aswell to dish to, as well as Sefalosha. The last three I mentioned are all roughly 40% from three point land.
Rondo takes less shots than Westbrook so would those shots be going to Harden or Durant?
It's quite shocking how many open passes to Durant, Harden and even the two OKC bigs that Westbrook blatantly misses.
On the other side of the argument, Rondo misses plenty of spot up jumpshots that Westbrook nails.
They can both run the floor and are both very good at finishing or going to the line off fast break opportunities...

Regarding the Bulls, if Perk can average 10 points with Rondo and KG can average 15-20..what could Noah+Boozer+Gibson+Asik average if they had a pass first PG instead of a guy looking to get to the basket every possession?
(Note that the Bulls bigs do get a lot of their points from putbacks/offensive rebounds from Roses drives and his drive and dishes to them so again it's give and take)- but you get the picture.

Add this with Rondo's defensive game and it's pretty debatable how each would do on the opposing team. Makes you think about a players complete game and the teams overall improvement with a particular type of point guard on the floor.

Great analysis, saved me the typing. TP.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Rondo makes everyone better on offense period.  He's been running one of the most efficient offenses in the entire league over the last 3 years.  If Rondo was teamed up with Durant, Sefolosha, Harden and Ibaka, it would be an incredible offense to watch.  Showtime stuff.  Russel Westbrook is a great talent in his own right.  He's a superstar in the mold of Rose, Iverson etc.  He's a spectacular scorer and a special talent.  That being said, no question OKC would be better with Rondo.  Nothing to do with talent, but they already have a couple of OK scorers.  You know like the 23 year old with 3 straight scoring titles and 2 second place MVP finishes and that other SOB (Sixth man of the Beard).
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo still has a better supporting cast, at least among the starters. Much better, even. Garnett is head and shoulder above the second best players on either team (Blake Griffin isn't there yet, until he becomes a better defender, passer, and figures out again how that 18ft jumper works).

It's worth pointing out that before the season started, when so many people were busy making lists (that generally didn't include Rondo) of franchise players that you could build a contender around, Blake made most of the lists. Now he's seen as head and shoulders below a KG that's a shell of what he was in his prime. Maybe Griffin would get back to that superstar level playing with Rajon.

There it is.  If the under-performing, under-seasoned Blake Griffin is pulling Chris Paul down out there in LaLa land, I'll gladly take him and take my chances with what Rajon Rondo can do with him. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I think Rondo is one of the most underrated players in the league. He is an absolute assassin and there isn't another point guard in the league I would consider trading him for.

Put Rondo on OKC vs. Westbrook, I think they are crushing Miami.
Put him on the Clippers, I'd argue they might be in the finals.

I think a legit question is do the big three make Rondo look good or vice versa? Rondo gets these guys the ball exactly where they want it, all the time.

Would Karl Malone have had the career he and with Westbrook as his running mate instead of Stockton? How about the Lakers' with DJ at the point instead of Magic?

Rondo to me is the best "play making point guard" this league has seen since Magic, Stockton and Kidd in their primes.

He makes everyone around him better and most importantly he has all the intangibles - toughness, aggression, IQ, "big play" maker ( remember his tip to Pietrus? Those types of plays are Bird, Magic level stuff)

Give Rondo the right weapons and he'll soon be taking another version of the Boston Celtics to the finals multiple times again. He's a game changer and a leader.

I think Ainge knows this and is goign to do everything he can to get Rondo a legit #1 guy and and a #2 guy, with a supporting cast so that Rondo can go to work.

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
And when I say do the big three make him look good or vice versa - I mean I think he is as important to their production as they are to his - it's equal to me, reciprocal.

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
And when I say do the big three make him look good or vice versa - I mean I think he is as important to their production as they are to his - it's equal to me, reciprocal.
Yeah, KG's offensive numbers this playoffs aren't as good without Rondo feeding him paint catches effectively. But Rondo's assist numbers would also go way down without KG's length and hands.

Its a team game.

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yeah, KG's offensive numbers this playoffs aren't as good without Rondo feeding him paint catches effectively. But Rondo's assist numbers would also go way down without KG's length and hands.

Its a team game.

TPs to both of you.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Tough to say which was it is (though I suppose we'll soon find out). 

While the Big Three have slipped, the one thing that they do better than most anyone in the NBA is hit open shots.  So Rondo does have that to his advantage.  All three are among the greatest shooters ever at their respective positions (with Ray arguably the greatest shooter ever). 

On the other hand, none of them finish around the basket as well as younger, more athletic players.  And none of them run particularly well.  So Rondo loses out there. 

And to Rondo's credit, he continues to thrive and do well, even when he's out there with Stiemsma, Pietrus, Dooling, and Bass. 

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Its a team game.

Rondo's assists only go down by an assist or so a game, and that's replacing KG with the likes of Steamer and Hollins.

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

You're comparing different things. Right now, this second (or at least during the playoffs), Kevin Garnett played head and shoulders above Griffin. But Griffin will play for the next 10-12 years, and will get better, while Garnett won't.

Blake Griffin is still a guy you want to build around, but he's also just 22 years old, with his first full season and playoffs after his arrival.

However, not the point. The point is (the point you ignored from my previous post) that the criticism is tired, and mostly meaningless going forward. It was relevant in the past, but its not really relevant any more.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner