Author Topic: Keep the faith in the dynamic duo! (JJ and ET)  (Read 12268 times)

Re: Keep the faith in the dynamic duo! (JJ and ET)
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Been hearing a lot of people (not just on here) saying that JJ and ETwuan were huge misses and we couldve had Marshon and Isaiah Thomas. Keep in mind we were saying the same things about AB this time last year and now he's probably a top 10 player from his draft class (if not, hes close). Dont give up on the Boiler Ballers before they get their chance to shine!

We took JJJ because he is 6 10. If he was 6 6 we would have kept Brooks.  People who complain about that deal are blind.

Ainge reportedly liked three guys: Reggie Jackson, JaJuan Johnson, and Jimmy Butler.  If JJJ was no longer attractive, Ainge probably would have tried to trade down even further to a point where he hoped Butler would slide.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Unless either of them are included in a trade I could see both being part of our rotation next year with a year of experience under their belt and an offseason to work on their game. Moore could replace Dooling in the rotation. He needs to improve defensively and playing pg, but he can be a guy who can give you a scoring boost off the bench.

For JJJ, once he gets comfortable being out there, his ability to hit the jumpshot and athleticism should make him successful playing alongside Rondo. I think there's a good shot that Bass leaves this offseason looking for a larger payday, and JJJ could replace a lot of his production as he becomes a more confident jumpshooter (like Avery into his 2nd year) and gains more awareness defensively.

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
i like moore he could be a backup, think jajuan looks like the 27th pick from a weak draft, would give him another year, i would have preffered the kid from maryland that the nets got, williams or brooks. think the nets got one over ainge in that draft
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:09:15 PM by goCeltics »

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
JJJ could do what wilcox did....alley-oops, shooting...dunk, and he has shown shot blocking skills..he gots the hops..!!!

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
JJJ could do what wilcox did....alley-oops, shooting...dunk, and he has shown shot blocking skills..he gots the hops..!!!
Has he shown shot blocking skills?

Because I haven't seen them. Heck I can't even remember the last time I saw him block a shot. What's he have like 8-10 all year?(Looked it up its 12)

He's big and long but I don't think he's get nearly the shot blocking skill of Stiemsma and I don't think he'll ever be known as a "good" shot blocker, IMO.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Both of them belonged in the D league this year. Neither is remotely ready to contribute to an NBA contender.

My hope is that Danny will draft more astutely this year.
I see. so 2 rookies coming in with no summer league, no training camp, very few practices, a number of veterans ahead of them on the depth chart AND having the task of learning one of the most complex defenses in the league (which to date not a single veteran acquired during a season has managed to learn effectively since the 08 season) are, in your opinion, poor selections?

glad your not in charge of drafting for this team.  If your benchmark is that players need to show they're rotation-worthy in their rookie year, I think you'd be very disappointed in any rookie Danny picks for this team.   Amazingly enough, with forced playing time due to injuries only, Bradley and Steimsma both have shown they're good enough to contribute to a winning team.  I'm not saying that guarantees JJJ and Moore would have contributed as much if they got playing time as well but it does lend support to the idea that players can develop when given time on the court.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
b-r.com lists JJJ as having a 3.6% block percentage.  For comparison, Stiemsma is at 8.5%, Jermaine O'Neal was at 5.8%, and KG is at 2.5%.  Kendrick Perkins has a career block percentage of 4.7%.  Garnett is at 2.9%.  Jermaine O'Neal 5.0%.  Shaquille O'Neal 4.6%.  With JO waived to make room for Sean Williams, JaJuan Johnson is now statistically the second-best shot-blocker on the team.

Small sample size, obviously, but Johnson's numbers suggest he could be perceived as an above-average but not great shot blocker, enough to keep the opposition honest but not enough to intimidate.  Players in the 3.4-3.8% block percentage range include Darko Milicic, Josh Smith, Derrick Favors, Ed Davis, Tyson Chandler, and Joakim Noah.  If you give the valid criticism that Johnson has a lot of garbage time minutes, players in the 2.8-3.0% block percentage range include Kendrick Perkins, Channing Frye, DeMarcus Cousins, and Travis Outlaw.

The last time JJJ blocked a shot was March 23 when he had two in the game, blocking Thaddeus Young, who got an offensive rebound after his five-footer was blocked only to get blocked again by Johnson.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
I like both the kids, but I think neither should be on the playoff roster. Sean Williams and Marquiis Daniels should be the 12th and 13th men respectively. Moore vs Daniels is a close call, but I think Williams even in his limited time as a Celtic can provide more of the defense and rebounding the team will need

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I like both guys...or should I say, I'm optimistic about both guys, especially offensively.  Moore especially, there is something about his game that I really like- he looks very poised to me.  Both of them need to improve defensively, and JJJ needs to rebound MUCH better.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
JjJ has great quickness and athleticism, but Doc has complained about his lack of work ethic and his body language on the bench is not that great. Loved the pick; but he has done nothing to improve his position on the team and if he doesn't wake up soon he will be in D League full time.

Have not heard many complaints about Moore; but is a pretty low cost bench player so might as well see what he can do.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I like both the kids, but I think neither should be on the playoff roster.

Um, isn't the playoff roster rule the same as the regular season, with 15 players, with 12 designated as active before each game?

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
b-r.com lists JJJ as having a 3.6% block percentage.  For comparison, Stiemsma is at 8.5%, Jermaine O'Neal was at 5.8%, and KG is at 2.5%.  Kendrick Perkins has a career block percentage of 4.7%.  Garnett is at 2.9%.  Jermaine O'Neal 5.0%.  Shaquille O'Neal 4.6%.  With JO waived to make room for Sean Williams, JaJuan Johnson is now statistically the second-best shot-blocker on the team.

Small sample size, obviously, but Johnson's numbers suggest he could be perceived as an above-average but not great shot blocker, enough to keep the opposition honest but not enough to intimidate.  Players in the 3.4-3.8% block percentage range include Darko Milicic, Josh Smith, Derrick Favors, Ed Davis, Tyson Chandler, and Joakim Noah.  If you give the valid criticism that Johnson has a lot of garbage time minutes, players in the 2.8-3.0% block percentage range include Kendrick Perkins, Channing Frye, DeMarcus Cousins, and Travis Outlaw.

The last time JJJ blocked a shot was March 23 when he had two in the game, blocking Thaddeus Young, who got an offensive rebound after his five-footer was blocked only to get blocked again by Johnson.
Thanks for the work LooseCannon. TP.

So while I might be wrong in that he might not ever be known as a "good" shot blocker, I am right he will never be a great shot blocker. That's pretty obvious to see in the small amount of time I have seen him play.

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 10:13:39 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
Johnson , really needs to work harder....his progress is not looking good.....Moore has nice ballhandling skills and is confident shooter , if not a good one yet. 

THey are as old as Bradley...this just goes to show HOW FAR AB is actually ahead of most guys his age.

We need Green for next year .

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

THey are as old as Bradley...

Actually they are two years OLDER than Bradley. Tells you the difference in the talent level of the three. Moore and Johnson were 4 years college players and Bradley a one and done.

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
JjJ has great quickness and athleticism, but Doc has complained about his lack of work ethic and his body language on the bench is not that great. Loved the pick; but he has done nothing to improve his position on the team and if he doesn't wake up soon he will be in D League full time.

Have not heard many complaints about Moore; but is a pretty low cost bench player so might as well see what he can do.
I never heard Doc criticize his work ethic. He talked about his troubles with the play book but I never heard work ethic.