Author Topic: Celtics NEED to trade for a young (even if unproven) center  (Read 6632 times)

Celtics NEED to trade for a young (even if unproven) center
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
With the chances of the Cs signing D Howard looking worse everyday the celtics need to pick up a young center before the deadline.

The Celtics problem is going to be there cap room for next season. If they just let all there expiring run out and are left with 25 mill to play with that sound great however it actually leaves them in a hard spot. At 25 mill with no big FAs to sign (figure no D Will or D Howard) the celtics may find themselves resigning the current team for the short term 1-2 year deals. KG at 6 mill, Ray at 6mill, J Green at 6mill , Bass at 6mill, and Pietrus with the last 1 mill. Great but Pietrus wont sign for 1mill and we have no center!

If we could say swing a JO + Clip pick for a young center (R Lopez, C Frye, O Asik, denver big etc..). Denver has alot of depth at C Nene, C Anderson, Mosgov, and Koufas maybe wilcox and a 1st for mosgov or koufas. Then we could go over the cap to sign the center and give Pietrus a more lucrative deal.

Center KG, Mosgov etc
PF Bass, JJJ
SF Pierce, J Green
SG Ray, Pietrus,Moore
SG Rondo, Avery 

plus 2012 1st,2nd round picks

The hope would be for Avery, ?Center?, JJJ, Rookie, and J Green to push the big 3 for playing time to the point where one of them is coming off the bench.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:43:18 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Celtics NEED to trade for a young (even if unproven) center
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Give me Kosta Koufos over Mozgov.

He's a better back to basket player than Mozgov is. He's not as better defensively though but it can manage.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »

Offline BMark3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Why don't the Cs just sign a waiver wire center like Earl Barron or Fosenko? There is no need to give up assets at this point.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
Why don't the Cs just sign a waiver wire center like Earl Barron or Fosenko? There is no need to give up assets at this point.

This. I see the Celtics as drafting a center and actually using him this upcoming draft. Sure, it's not their nature. But I'm not saying the kid has to play 30 MPG, he just might actually play regularly.

There is no reason to give up ANY assets at this juncture in the "rebuilding" or "one last hurrah", whatever you want to call it, process.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Celtics desperately need a center, I don´t know but C´s need a center.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:27 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

This. I see the Celtics as drafting a center and actually using him this upcoming draft. Sure, it's not their nature. But I'm not saying the kid has to play 30 MPG, he just might actually play regularly.

There is no reason to give up ANY assets at this juncture in the "rebuilding" or "one last hurrah", whatever you want to call it, process.

The point is to bring in a young center who will be an asset for the future and receive playing time now. The celtics cant go into this draft with the mind set of "we need to find a center" they are in find the best player available mode.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:26:21 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Getting someone else's young big man is really hard to do. If they're any good the other team isn't trading them.  There is lack of true young post players right now throuout the league.  It's why KG can play center against most teams.   

With 1 of our 2 draft picks this year we should draft Myers Leonard from Illinois.  A ton of potnetial.  He's a little immature but he runs the court extremly well and is a true 7 footer who can block shots and rebound. Most experts have him being selected somewhere between picks # 12 - 20.   

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

The point is to bring in a young center who will be an asset for the future and receive playing time now. The celtics cant go into this draft with the mind set of "we need to find a center" they are in find the best player available mode.
They will definitely select the best player available but all things being equal they will go big. if they don't draft a five with one of their two picks I bet they add at least two centers in free agency (i expect one of them for big money)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »

Offline OnyxCashew

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
get that brazilian kid from syracuse...aint playin in the tourney cuz hes ineligible, might as well come right up to play with the big boys.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
E
get that brazilian kid from syracuse...aint playin in the tourney cuz hes ineligible, might as well come right up to play with the big boys.
I'd like to see one of him, ezeli, leonard, zeller or young with one of our firsts.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Well, there are rules against that.  He will be in the draft this year though, and will likely be available around when the C's pick.

Unfortunately, the reason he will be around that late is because he is not very good.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics are getting a young center to build towards the future with with any of their mid first round picks unless a team is desperate for a young PG and would take Bradley and the picks in exchange. But that isn't happening as franchise PGs seem to be a dime a dozen nowadays and bigs are scarce and Bradley isn't a franchise PG.

As for signing a player off the waiver wire or out of the NBDL, well, there's a reason they aren't a part of an NBA team with two-thirds of the season gone, it's because they aren't any good.

We got the best that the NBDL had to offer in centers last year in Greg Stiemsma and he's not that great. He's a decent 3rd center to have on your team that can give you decent quality minutes as a back up if necessary, but he's not someone you can build a future with.

C's are just going to have to hope Wilcox heart ailment is nothing and play small ball the rest of the year.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Well, there are rules against that.  He will be in the draft this year though, and will likely be available around when the C's pick.

Unfortunately, the reason he will be around that late is because he is not very good.

A 7 footer averaging 5 rebounds in a system where he is planted firmly underneath the basket at all times on defense isnt really what I have in mind for the celts
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
if they don't draft a five with one of their two picks I bet they add at least two centers in free agency (i expect one of them for big money)

My point is that by signing a center with the free 25mill the Celtics will become handcuffed if they try to resign current players. This realistly doesnt allow the Cs to bring back KG and Ray.

example

Rondo,Pierce,Avery,JJJ, 2 rookies
      25 million dollars free cap space

sign J Green for 6mill
     19 million free cap space

sign FA Center (Asik)? for 6million
     13 million free cap space

sign Bass for 6 million
     7 million free cap space

the remaining 7 mill would then have to be used to fill the rotation. Would KG and Ray sign for 3.5 mill each? Do we let them walk and sign pietrus for 3 million then sign another big for 4 mill?

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 01:43:36 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'd rather get Yancy Gates before Fab Melo dude has more game IMO then tht overrated dude