Author Topic: Why do Free Agents hate Boston?  (Read 13644 times)

Re: Why do Free Agents hate Boston?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 04:08:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've said this before and I will say it again. Nobody has ANY evidence that free agents hate Boston. It's all just more of the typical overreacting.

Before 2007, Boston sucked, so no free agents wanted to sign here.

After we got the Big 3, our management wasn't going to be signing any big free agent contracts anyway, so why is anyone surprised that we aren't getting big names? Our roster is full, our cap space is minimal. Free agents looking for max contracts aren't going to be looking into a team that can't afford to pay them. It isn't because they hate the city, it's because they know we aren't going to sign them except in a trade anyway.

Seriously, anyone who is claiming that free agents hate the city doesn't know what they are talking about. They are just looking at Dwight Howard and Chris Paul and thinking that those two somehow represent the entirety of the league, which is nonsense. (And mostly speculation anyway ... just because we aren't the number 1 location doesn't mean we are hated, and I dare someone to find a single quote of a free agent specifically saying they don't want to play in Boston. Those quotes don't exist. The reason's in the past few years we haven't gotten big free agents is because of money. Period.)

I have evidence!
Name a great FA (IN THEIR PRIME!) we've signed!? (Not resigning our own)

When was the last time the Celtics had more than the MLE to spend on a "great FA (IN THEIR PRIME!)"?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »

Offline jiriwelsch

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 5
Ask me that question next year, except leave out mle, and I'll give you the same answer

I've said this before and I will say it again. Nobody has ANY evidence that free agents hate Boston. It's all just more of the typical overreacting.

After we got the Big 3, our management wasn't going to be signing any big free agent contracts anyway, so why is anyone surprised that we aren't getting big names? Our roster is full, our cap space is minimal. Free agents looking for max contracts aren't going to be looking into a team that can't afford to pay them. It isn't because they hate the city, it's because they know we aren't going to sign them except in a trade anyway.

Seriously, anyone who is claiming that free agents hate the city doesn't know what they are talking about. They are just looking at Dwight Howard and Chris Paul and thinking that those two somehow represent the entirety of the league, which is nonsense. (And mostly speculation anyway ... just because we aren't the number 1 location doesn't mean we are hated, and I dare someone to find a single quote of a free agent specifically saying they don't want to play in Boston. Those quotes don't exist. The reason's in the past few years we haven't gotten big free agents is because of money. Period.)

I have evidence!

When was the last time the Celtics had more than the MLE to spend on a "great FA (IN THEIR PRIME!)"?

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
95% of the NBA is black.

It's more like somewhere between 75-80% of NBA players who are black.  I'm sure this doesn't change whatever your point was, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people just make up numbers.

Sorry for being nit picky.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »

Offline jiriwelsch

• Payton Pritchard
So what you're saying is: Free agents don't like Boston because they are black?

95% of the NBA is black.

It's more like somewhere between 75-80% of NBA players who are black.  I'm sure this doesn't change whatever your point was, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people just make up numbers.

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So what you're saying is: Free agents don't like Boston because they are black?

95% of the NBA is black.

I'm convinced the black/white thing is why people on this forum keep acting like we have a shot at Kevin Love.  What... cuz he's white he'd want to play in Boston?

The great irony of that is this... of any possible free agent, Kevin Love is the least likely of all of them to play in Boston.  The guy is as Los Angeles as it gets.  Born and raised in Santa Monica.  Went to UCLA.  His dad was an LA native who played for the Lakers.  Kevin grew up loving the Lakers and his favorite player was Shaq.  "The Beach Boys" are his relatives.  If ever there was an NBA player who was more destined to be a Laker... it's Kevin Love (which explains why the Lakers are going after him hard having already offered Minny Pau Gasol and are still planning to push for him)

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Honestly, it's the team. The city (night life, racial history, critical media, unglamorous, etc.) probably factors in, but plenty of free agents have come here. Pietrus seems to be having a great time.

The fact is that we're old and our players have gotten a mean rep. Howard for example, is a fun-loving Big Baby type. KG made Big Baby cry...At the all-star games the Celts have been reported to isolate themselves and talk trash.

Our team mentality is that of the Kobe generation (win by any means, opponents are enemies, don't fraternize with enemies). The current crop of young talent has the mentality of the Lebron generation (at the end of the day it's just a job, opponents are friends, have fun).

Our future is unknown. Rondo is a stud but what other young talent do we have? I don't want the Big 3 to go but eventually they're going to be more $ than they are worth. And Rondo doesn't have a bunch of NBA buddies, he's old school. I don't think top FAs see long term potential AND a friendly environment.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32

I have evidence!

I'd imagine you could ask this for most of the teams in the NBA.

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32

At the all-star games the Celts have been reported to isolate themselves and talk trash.

Last year I read that KG was very friendly in the all star game.

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I just assume there's no chance of getting Kevin Love if LA can put a credible deal on the table and instead consider the possibility of bringing Gasol to Boston if Minnesota doesn't want him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I recall when I was younger.  People liked Boston because they could start five white guys and win.   Not all but there will always be some knuckleheads.  There might be something too all the animous towards us but let us not forget it was we who broke the racial barrier in so many ways.   First black player, first black head coach was here.  So anyone who hates us for this reason is simply uninformed.

I think the cold weather plays a factor in people not liking us.   I think Pietrus likes us because I have always heard Boston is one of the most European US cities.   What the heck that means I do not know but I have heard that.  Is it true?  

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
How long has the cap system been in place again?  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I recall when I was younger.  People liked Boston because they could start five white guys and win.   Not all but there will always be some knuckleheads.  There might be something too all the animous towards us but let us not forget it was we who broke the racial barrier in so many ways.   First black player, first black head coach was here.  So anyone who hates us for this reason is simply uninformed.

I think the cold weather plays a factor in people not liking us.   I think Pietrus likes us because I have always heard Boston is one of the most European US cities.   What the heck that means I do not know but I have heard that.  Is it true?  

Good Point - as far as the milestones for Black players and coaches.

I still don't buy the cold weather idea, but it could be a ready excuse for some stars to not come here - a shallow excuse, but one nonetheless.

For Pietrus? He's French, if I'm not mistaken. So if Boston does in fact have that rep (European cities), then I can uderstand why he loves it.

Back to the racial issues - again, I find this unfortunate, becuase you can find "racial" issues with EVERY city or state in this country....the history of what Bill Russell went through is a concern, but again - if these athletes are indeed basing their decisions on Boston based on heresay - then why don't they talk to the man himself (Bill). The man is always around the NBA somewhere.

Just sit down with him and ask him the the word. I bet he'd talk about the relationship he had with Red and how special that was, too.

Despite the recent turn of events with free agents I am still optimistic that we'll get some good fits coming to Boston. The ones who chose to go elsewhere were just not meant to wear Green in the first place. Just my opinion.

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible

I have evidence!

Does Travis Knight count?

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

Offline jiriwelsch

• Payton Pritchard
maybe.  here's hoopshype's description

"Was a benchwarmer in New York... Decent shooting touch... Has done nothing remarkable in the NBA"

I have evidence!

Does Travis Knight count?

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2012, 08:31:49 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
This is the most over used and baseless point on free agency. Players usually base the opportunity on two points

1)Money - who would offer the most, I'll also include endorsement opportunities here too. 

2)Winning Team

Back before Wyc and company owned the team, it was owned by a man named Paul Gaston. Gaston was notorious for being cheap, and at times would only allow the Celtics to keep 12 players on the team, period. Gaston eventually made a splash to sign Rick Pitino and in turn allowed him to spend on mid level free agents, which didn't work out. The core of the team was so bad that the Celtics had to overpay players by a large amount to come here.

So this is a pretty baseless thought that has been thrown around since we only really have a small sample size of the Celtics being a successful team in the current FA Market. If they can't attract anyone in the next 10 years...then maybe its the Weather?