Author Topic: Do you enjoy posting in the Game Threads anymore?  (Read 27163 times)

Re: Do you enjoy posting in the Game Threads anymore?
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
i dont mean to keep bringing it up again, bc I know Roy already provided us with an answer, but I was another person that was in favor of having some type of ignore button.

the one question I had regarding Roys answer was that I'm assuming you guys were thinking of an ignore button that was a permanent type of thing.

what if there was an ignore button that only lasted for like an hour?  kind of like how if you give a tommy point you cant give another for an hour, if you can put a timer on that kind of button, I'd assume you could do the same for an ignore feature.

I know looking at things in black and white terms this is still against the whole family nature of the site, but I really think, like an hour-long ignore type deal is a reasonable middle ground.  Most wouldnt even know they ever got ignored unless they were deliberately trying to get under a certain persons skin.

I know theres the whole report to moderator thing, but we go to the game thread to have a reasonable discussion, not to hit the report to moderator button 15 times during a game.  I'm sure people have done this, and it hasnt helped much.

You guys are doing a great job here and I love this site, so please dont misinterpret me, I'm not trying to say you guys are doing a bad job modding.  Im just saying maybe being 97% P.C. Family togetherness oriented, etc. and 3% real world, Is better than 100% PC, Family oriented and 0% real world.

thanks for considering my suggestions
Greg

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
what if there was an ignore button that only lasted for like an hour?  kind of like how if you give a tommy point you cant give another for an hour, if you can put a timer on that kind of button, I'd assume you could do the same for an ignore feature.

This is an interesting middle ground.  I don't know if there is any software compatible with our forums that would allow this, though.  I'll research it a bit.

I know theres the whole report to moderator thing, but we go to the game thread to have a reasonable discussion, not to hit the report to moderator button 15 times during a game.  I'm sure people have done this, and it hasnt helped much.

Believe it or not, we very rarely have people report posts in the game threads.  For instance, last night's thread has been described as a particularly bad one, but to my knowledge, we didn't receive a single report of inappropriate behavior.  

Thanks for the feedback.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the sky is falling posts are funny.   I enjoy both reading and posting them.  One thing I learned in the service no matter how bad the day that will be always be someone who had a worse day that can make you feel better.

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
I find the panic hilarious after 2 games seeing tht we suck we'll be a first round exit nd the 7th seed at best especially since we're missin our best player nd played 2 contenders real close

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Wouldn't our time be better spent complaining about the horrible announcers?  They were counting it as a loss in the 2nd quarter.  And these aren't posters, they're professionals.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I have to say, there´s a lot of (unintentional) bigotry on both sides here. Neither the so-called optimists nor the pessimists were ever proven to be completely right or wrong, both are guilty of opressing the other "side`s" perspective (panic button threads, anyone?), both consist of smart and not-as-smart posters, and both have their fair share of jokes at the other side`s expense. Whichever side you´re on, you´re not an ounce more of a fan than anyone else who spends his free-time on this site.

I´m a firm believer that honest criticism is a good thing, but can definitely understand anyone who prefers a supportive atmosphere in the game threads.

I have to agree with Roy, though, that if you´re tired of too many negative posts in the game threads, the best thing you can do is to make even more positive posts yourself. After all, if you don´t want to participate, you have no right to complain. And if you want to, you can´t expect anyone else to share your opinion.

I don´t know anything about the technical aspects, but the only solution I can offer is the same I suggested in the last thread: a temporary ignore button, which lets you ignore someone for no longer than three hours, basically a "cool down" button. People could enjoy the game threads again (or the whole forum, on particularly bad days), but would start at zero the next time they log on.
I wouldn´t need it myself, but if it helps other posters to enjoy this site more, while keeping the spirit of this site alive, I´m all for it.

EDIT: Just saw greg683x´s post. Nevermind
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Believe it or not, we very rarely have people report posts in the game threads.  For instance, last night's thread has been described as a particularly bad one, but to my knowledge, we didn't receive a single report of inappropriate behavior.  

Well this would be my explanation for that, and forgive me for looking like a dunce here but I havent(pretty sure I havent) ever reported someone here, and the reason is because I assume you click the link, fill out some kind of explanation, and send it off.  Everyones different, someone on the internet cant hurt my feelings enough to make me go out of my way to fill out some kind of form about them, thats why I like the magical one hour ignore button, one click, like a TP, done for an hour.  If reporting to Mods is that simple, then disregard the following.  (id give it a try but I dont want to inadvertently report someone)

I think part of the reason for lack of reports during a game thread is because posting and watching the game in itself is a constant back and forth process.  I know when I do it, I sometimes miss certain things bc I got preoccupied for a second reading posts.  Having to stop, click off the game thread, report someone, then go back on the thread,all while trying to keep up with the game, can be frustrating, especially if you mispeak about any kind of detail about whats going on, you'll get called out for it.  I think most people instead of doing all that just suck it up and deal with it but are getting so frustrated with it, it's not even worth it anymore.  Thats why the one click, one hour ignore button would be a good fit.
Greg

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Yo I kno this is kinda off-topic but A Sharrod just tweeted tht Doc said 2 of the technical fouls that we picked up against the knicks were rescinded by the NBA smfh

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Well this would be my explanation for that, and forgive me for looking like a dunce here but I havent(pretty sure I havent) ever reported someone here, and the reason is because I assume you click the link, fill out some kind of explanation, and send it off.  Everyones different, someone on the internet cant hurt my feelings enough to make me go out of my way to fill out some kind of form about them, thats why I like the magical one hour ignore button, one click, like a TP, done for an hour.  If reporting to Mods is that simple, then disregard the following.  (id give it a try but I dont want to inadvertently report someone)

I think part of the reason for lack of reports during a game thread is because posting and watching the game in itself is a constant back and forth process.  I know when I do it, I sometimes miss certain things bc I got preoccupied for a second reading posts.  Having to stop, click off the game thread, report someone, then go back on the thread,all while trying to keep up with the game, can be frustrating, especially if you mispeak about any kind of detail about whats going on, you'll get called out for it.  I think most people instead of doing all that just suck it up and deal with it but are getting so frustrated with it, it's not even worth it anymore.  Thats why the one click, one hour ignore button would be a good fit.

Click.

Make a comment about the report if you want.  (I would suggest it, makes us look for what you mentioned)

And you are done. 

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
an option to ignore their posts.

to me this is the answer that makes the most sense.  if there are certain posters you just can't stand, whose opinions seemingly always ruin your fun, then you should be able to simply not see their posts anymore.  both posters get to participate in the same threads, but they aren't bumping heads every time anymore.  problem solved.

Based upon observations of other sites, this is something that Jeff and the staff have decided is a non-starter.

yeah, i know that's the conclusion the staff has come to.  i'm just pointing out that from my perspective, and my experience, it's the simplest and most obvious answer to this problem which keeps coming up.

i like the idea that was pointed out earlier, though, that people should just learn to moderate their own emotions better.  a lot of what comes up in the game threads is people posting in the spur of the moment on their initial emotional reaction to every single thing that happens.  that's bound to create a polarizing atmosphere.

being able to recognize that means both trying to temper your own reactions / urges to post as well as not allowing other people's posts to get under your skin so easily.
I don't want to put words in others mouths but I think what many on here are complaining about are not the every once in a while negative emotional reactions to bad things happening on the court. I think we could all live with that and I think we are all guilty of that.

No, Pos, what we are complaining about is something quite different. Its a constant barrage of the same old prophecies of doom and gloom regardless of the situation coming from the same old people saying the same old things game in and game out.

- UP 15....we're doomed to lose because of ___________
- Tied...we're doomed to lose because of____________
- Losing regardless of how much time is left in the game....I told you we were going to lose, just blow this team up or play all the rookies or this player sucks or that player is worthless or Doc needs to be fired or ______________

That is what people are complaining about and why people are being driven from the thread. I'll try this once again but I don't think trying to guilt people into going to the game thread to make it a more balanced atmosphere is going to work. Its not our job to be miserable to make the game threads more balanced out. Its up to every person to adhere to rules and be a positive addition to the thread.

A lot of people make those sorts of posts as emotional responses, I think.

There are some people who do it to be trolls, I'm sure.  For those, there's the report button.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I love it. I love seeing the variety of posts. It's like being in a sports bar. There are all types of fans and everyone expresses themselves differently. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Not really. I used to post in the game threads regularly because it was one of the fun parts of watching games. Now I'm afraid I'll hurt myself rolling my eyes too hard.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Even the most rosy of optimists would have had a tough time finding much to be positive about tonight.

I think the thing that is depressing sometimes about the game threads is that there seems to be very little hope in there.  Even when the team makes a bit of a run, there seems to be a little less cheering and enthusiasm than there used to be. 

Anyway, no reported comments tonight, either.  If there's anything folks would like us to look into, either shoot a staff member a PM, or report a post.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2011, 10:56:12 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I've been both lurking and posting on this site for several years and up until the start of this season, I was always the guy trying to paint rainbows and chase unicorns in the game threads. I have a "Big Bang Theory" about the obvious division on the blog--a rift divided the posters into optimist/pessimist groups the day "the TRADE" happened. When Perk was swapped for Green, it practically forced fans to take sides. Anyone here will remember that it was the focus of every thread, every post and people were sniping each other hard. I spent a lot of time defending my position and it was so frustrating that you'd want to pull your hair out, but you also didn't want to back down from the negativity because in the end, we all love this team and want success, so I felt like I had to fight for it--defend it.

(I will finally admit that the trade did not work out for us)

So, this year I tried something new. When I get peeved at the action on the screen, I react exactly the way I feel. It kind of feels good to see the term "blow it up" in a post with your avatar next to it. It's a "live" thread because you're reacting to what you are seeing and feeling at that moment, not digesting the action, reflecting on your feelings and finding the nicest way to word it. I finally understand where some of the negative posters were coming from--it's therapeutic. But at the same time, there are some guys that seem like they are trying to pound home their views and make you feel like you're a **** for thinking otherwise. Some just need to learn to tone it down, while others need to tolerate it.

« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Even the most rosy of optimists would have had a tough time finding much to be positive about tonight.

I think the thing that is depressing sometimes about the game threads is that there seems to be very little hope in there.  Even when the team makes a bit of a run, there seems to be a little less cheering and enthusiasm than there used to be. 

Agreed.

But I can't even imagine what the game thread would have been like if Nick hadn't brought this up.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi