Author Topic: Ainge wastes no time in pursuit of Big Baby  (Read 6147 times)

Re: Ainge wastes no time in pursuit of Big Baby
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you are going to re-sign Glen Davis, the best contract to sign him to, assuming the rules haven't changed under the new CBA, is a one-year contract with a team option for a second year.

The option makes him easier to trade because a player who is on a one-year contract and will have Bird rights at the end of the contract will lose those Bird rights and thus is permitted to veto trades.  However, if you add a team option, the Celtics can invoke the option before trading him.

Would Davis agree to such a contract?  If BBD is the best option, would it be worth overpaying him slightly to get that additional roster flexibility?  I believe that the ideal contract size to maximize roster flexibility is to give Davis just enough so that he can be packaged with a minimum salary veteran for a player previously signed to a full MLE contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 11:11:32 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
u will never find a player like glen davis..

for his size

his speed

hustle and defense

lets not dwell on his jump shooting..kurt rambis got respect and not because of his points per% and perk needs to learn to stick within his game

lol

edited..

i put perk!

i meant glen...hmmm the old e might be telling us something...

*bookmark this*

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 11:12:15 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 391
sell BBD on the chance to win a championship with the big 3 before they retire and give him a one year deal...overpay him if you have to for one year. but I wouldnt commit to him any more than 1 year.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
sell BBD on the chance to win a championship with the big 3 before they retire and give him a one year deal...overpay him if you have to for one year. but I wouldnt commit to him any more than 1 year.

BBD doesn't care about that.  He cares about money.  He's stated this time and time again, that "its a business, etc".  Anyone who truly cared about a championship last year would have AT LEAST stayed in shape during the season.  I can't even fathom how someone doesn't stay in shape while being a professional athlete.

And who said he's worth $5million a year??  Paying poor to mediocre players $4-$7 / year is one of the biggest reasons there was a lockout this past year.  I would much prefer Hayes or someone who can and will get defensive rebounds.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
Should read ......Ainge "WASTES" time in pursuit of BBD  ... ???

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:57:52 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

BBD doesn't care about that.  He cares about money.  He's stated this time and time again, that "its a business, etc".  Anyone who truly cared about a championship last year would have AT LEAST stayed in shape during the season.  I can't even fathom how someone doesn't stay in shape while being a professional athlete.

And who said he's worth $5million a year??  Paying poor to mediocre players $4-$7 / year is one of the biggest reasons there was a lockout this past year.  I would much prefer Hayes or someone who can and will get defensive rebounds.
Half of the top NBA players have stated at some point in time that "it's business". So what?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."