Author Topic: Ainge wastes no time in pursuit of Big Baby  (Read 6148 times)

Re: Ainge wastes no time in pursuit of Big Baby
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I am not much of a BBD fan; however, I think this is the right move. With a two week preseason, Davis's familiarity becomes even more valuable. Plus, I don't think anyone in this financial landscape offers him anything close to the MLE. I don't know where these national media guys get these crazy ideas.

So if I'm Danny, I overpay him on a one year deal, make one more run with him, then let him go next year.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Go Pistons Go!

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Rhino Time

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm not HUGE on Baby at all but it makes sense to bring him back I mean we are insanely thin on big bodies. JO will not hold up and will probably end up being this years Shaq. Also with a aging KG instead of getting killed down low like last year well be obliterated.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Randy Marsh, I agree with you about the recent news that BBD might be playing in Green again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl12TfLLb3w

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 08:48:49 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
ah Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Not happy about this.

Would much rather have Chuck Hayes.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
Losing BBD just means another hole to fill, and we already have too many of those.  Sometimes people's expectations are too high with filling out the roster.  We're not going to draw all the hottest free agents who are willing to take a pay cut to play for BOS; that's just completely unrealistic thinking.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 09:11:20 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
meh, id rather give JJJ time to develop than play bbd's fat butt anymore.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
roster will probably end up looking like this

Rondo/ West
Ray  / Bradley
PP   / Green
KG   / Johnson
 JO  / Kwame or Gray( maybe both)

thats likely a #3 or 4 seed and a second round exit, maybe get to the ecf with some luck  ???

I think signing (or S&t) BBD is the right thing to do.  But if the roster ends up as you suggest then I am for blowing it up and looking to 2012-13 with Rondo, Pierce, a lottery pick (their own), Clips pick, any youth or picks they can get for KG and RA, and plenty of cap room.

I am not in favor of a weak last hurrah -- they have to take a chance on improving the roster to compete with Miami, Chicago and whoever emerges from the West. I don't know how DA does it, but that's his job. Really contend or blow it apart.

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
What  some people need to understand is that if we don't resign big baby we have to fill his spot with either the mle or a vet min guy. If we sign him we can use the mini mle on another position which will improve our team. Big baby was a sixth man of the year canidate when we had the best record in the east last year. then he gained weight. It's going to be hard for him to gain weight when he's playing a game every other day with this comdensed schedule (the last part is wishful thinking)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
roster will probably end up looking like this

Rondo/ West
Ray  / Bradley
PP   / Green
KG   / Johnson
 JO  / Kwame or Gray( maybe both)

thats likely a #3 or 4 seed and a second round exit, maybe get to the ecf with some luck  ???

I think signing (or S&t) BBD is the right thing to do.  But if the roster ends up as you suggest then I am for blowing it up and looking to 2012-13 with Rondo, Pierce, a lottery pick (their own), Clips pick, any youth or picks they can get for KG and RA, and plenty of cap room.

I am not in favor of a weak last hurrah -- they have to take a chance on improving the roster to compete with Miami, Chicago and whoever emerges from the West. I don't know how DA does it, but that's his job. Really contend or blow it apart.

yeah.  i don't see the point of trading any of the big 3 at this juncture, because i don't think we'd get any value back and two of them are expiring contracts anyway, but if the most competitive team we can put out there is one that is at best close to the team we saw in the playoffs this summer, i think its probably smart to explore whatever options there are for putting ourselves in an ideal position to dive right into rebuilding next summer.  

like you, im not interested in a weak last hurrah.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What  some people need to understand is that if we don't resign big baby we have to fill his spot with either the mle or a vet min guy. If we sign him we can use the mini mle on another position which will improve our team. Big baby was a sixth man of the year canidate when we had the best record in the east last year. then he gained weight. It's going to be hard for him to gain weight when he's playing a game every other day with this comdensed schedule (the last part is wishful thinking)

At the same time, there has to be a realization that the Celtics are only quasi-contenders this year.  While I respect the desire to be as competitive as possible this year, there are also long-term considerations that have to be looked at.  A $5 million contract for BBD eats up a significant amount of our cap space.  We're going to have to make a decision on whether we want to preserve that space, or use it on long-term deals for mediocre players like Baby and Green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

At the same time, there has to be a realization that the Celtics are only quasi-contenders this year.  While I respect the desire to be as competitive as possible this year, there are also long-term considerations that have to be looked at.  A $5 million contract for BBD eats up a significant amount of our cap space.  We're going to have to make a decision on whether we want to preserve that space, or use it on long-term deals for mediocre players like Baby and Green.

Yeah Im in this camp.

I dont think singing BBD is going to catapault the Celtics into title favorites.

I do think signing him leaves them less cap flexible going forward.

I prefer a fresh start post big 3.

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105

Yeah Im in this camp.

I dont think singing BBD is going to catapault the Celtics into title favorites.

I do think signing him leaves them less cap flexible going forward.

I prefer a fresh start post big 3.

I second this, TP.