Author Topic: Yao asks Hall of Fame to delay his nomination  (Read 6211 times)

Re: Yao asks Hall of Fame to delay his nomination
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
Just a thought but, maybe he's thinking of coming back...

TP!  Beat me to the punch... Was gonna say the same exact thing.

These were my thoughts also.  He might be considering a PJ Brown type role if he's healthy and the right opportunity arises.

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As Rya indicated, the contributor category includes those who have made "significant contributions to the game of basketball".  For a list of contributors, see here.  At a quick glance, it doesn't appear that any have gotten in due to charity or humanitarian work.

If the Hall allowed recognition for humanitarian work, Dikembe would be a clear-cut inductee.  However, I'm not sure that they do, at least the way the rules are currently construed.  

Interestingly, I just found out that Satch Sanders got in the Hall as a contributor, rather than as a player.  It seems like he made it in largely as a "catch all", and I can see borderline players like Dikembe get squeezed in this way, even if they don't meet the strict criteria for induction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The contributor list is kind of a weird list. There's a shoe salesman. Hubie Brown gets in as a contributor but not a coach. 

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The contributor list is kind of a weird list. There's a shoe salesman. Hubie Brown gets in as a contributor but not a coach. 

Hubie Brown was a good (but not great) coach, but played a huge role in developing and running overseas basketball clinics at a time when there wasn't a big basketball presence in those places.  He did a lot to spread the game, though he's more famous as a coach and broadcaster.