Author Topic: Rudy Fernandez Traded To Dallas Mavericks for their Pick  (Read 7409 times)

Re: Rudy Fernandez Traded To Dallas Mavericks for their Pick
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 01:36:49 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Rudy helped the Mavericks get younger

hes athletic and shoots the ball really well

whereas i am glad we didnt trade Johnson for him...

if Baby walks, we basically have no bigs, so having Johnson is good, and since hes already a good defensive player and has size, id really like to see how he excels in training camp

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 02:13:44 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Soft guy, I don't see him in green. Good pick by Danny
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 02:36:18 AM »

Offline mc34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 40
Not sure if Rudy just needs a change of scenery, but he was awful last year. 37% overall shooting and 32% (yuck) on 3s. Glad Ainge went with Johnson.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 03:30:49 AM »

Offline Celticai

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I thought bringing Rudy last year was a good idea. But I now think we need defensive minded players. I don't think Fernandez would have fit in the Celtics' system.
But I do think that Johnson's pick is a good one. He's very mature. Hopefully that will help him contribute this season.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Awesome move by the champs to get better

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
I can't determine if he's more excited to get outta Portland or to land with the Mavs.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Let me get this straight, this year they won the TITLE with just:

Chandler/Mahimmi
Dirk/Cardinal
Marion
Stevenson/Terry
Kidd/Barea

That gives them a third string of:

Corey Brewer
Rodrigue Beaubois
Peja Stojakovic
Caron Butler
Brendan Haywood
and now Rudy Fernandez

They're still the deepest team in he league (even if they let 1 or 2 guys go).  Their 3rd unit can beat almost every 2nd unit.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The biggest part about this that nobody is talking about is that the Mavs also acquired the rights to Petteri Koponen.

Koponen is a 6'5 PG that has been NBA ready for years, but Portland hasn't brought him over. He officially called out shinanigans this summer:

Quote from: via Blazer's Edge
It feels like Portland only hangs on to me so that none of their rivals could recruit me. Occasionally I feel like I've being held hostage. I have talked to the Blazers about this with my agent. This is not right, because this is all about my dreams and my career.

He's gonna be hungry to play for Dallas, and could be a long-term solution at the PG for Kidd's retirement if Beaubois doesn't look like he'll mature well.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The biggest part about this that nobody is talking about is that the Mavs also acquired the rights to Petteri Koponen.

Koponen is a 6'5 PG that has been NBA ready for years, but Portland hasn't brought him over. He officially called out shinanigans this summer:

It feels like Portland only hangs on to me so that none of their rivals could recruit me. Occasionally I feel like I've being held hostage. I have talked to the Blazers about this with my agent. This is not right, because this is all about my dreams and my career.

He's gonna be hungry to play for Dallas, and could be a long-term solution at the PG for Kidd's retirement if Beaubois doesn't look like he'll mature well.

Hasn't he played for them in summer leagues or something? I might be thinking about someone else but I don't think "nba ready" was my first impression of him.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Nice move for Dallas;
but glad he's not coming to Boston.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Hasn't he played for them in summer leagues or something? I might be thinking about someone else but I don't think "nba ready" was my first impression of him.

He played for them in 07 and 08 when he was 18 and 19, respectively.

Petteri Koponen: 18 points, 7-18 FG, 1-6 3FG, 3-5 FT, 6 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 1 Steal, 5 Turnovers, 5 Fouls

The young point guard came up big once again today. He made a number of incredibly difficult shots fading away off of one dribble from college three point range. He’s not an elite level athlete, but he plays the game at a consistently high pace offensively. He knows how to control tempo relatively well for a young guard and possesses above average court vision. The young guard's ability to run the point at his size and age is pretty impressive, but his defense still has a ways to go. Koponen's potential is incredibly intriguing, and the Blazers will have the opportunity to bring him over when Oden, Roy, Aldridge, and Bayless are hitting their stride.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Las-Vegas-Summer-League-Day-Five-2964/#ixzz1QDbRILCW
http://www.draftexpress.com

Petteri Koponen: 19 points, 7/13 FG, 4/6 3PFG, 3 assists, 3 turnovers

The Finish guard has good size for a point guard in the NBA, and is quite physical as well. He showed pretty good quickness off the dribble throughout the day, and it seems like he'll have the ability to get to the rim against a higher level of competition. The most impressive display from the guard came in terms of shooting, where he made a number of ridiculous jumpers off the dribble. His shooting mechanics aren't picture perfect, but he has a very high and quick release on his accurate stroke. As a point guard, it's clear his decision-making will need to mature, but he enjoys playing a leadership role on the court. The guard also shows good vision on the pick and roll, and the ability to dish the ball on the drive. In the coming days, Koponen will need to work on playing at different speeds, and not forcing the ball into tight spots.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Las-Vegas-Summer-League-Day-Four-2963/#ixzz1QDbtddzJ
http://www.draftexpress.com

I can't find stuff from 2007.

All that is from 3 years ago, now, He's that much older, and has been playing in the top Italian League, starting.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm really enjoying the 'logic' of all these Trade Baby ideas.

Big Baby is sooooo HORRIBLE that we have to get rid of him.

Big Baby is so good that someone will give us a good player for him.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

Right.  I swear thats the theme of the Trades board of CB

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Right.  I swear thats the theme of the Trades board of CB

baby's not a horrible ball player but he's not what we need.
he brings energy, bulk, good rotations and an ok offensive game.
we need rebounds, shot blocking, athleticism and more rebounds.
jjj looks to fill the bill and comes with a the work ethic and brains to learn the rotations so baby's days are numbered.  send him somewhere where they need what he brings...