Author Topic: The NBA needs to make the lottery draw and results a public media event...  (Read 5885 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25583
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just think it is interesting how well Cleveland did in BOTHtheir picks is itluck or something else? NBA already has a bad rep.

This isn't a particularly accurate assessment and it speaks to Roy's point about understanding how the process works.

As Roy notes, the lottery itself consists of only the first three picks, and the rest of the draft order is determined by record just as the odds are.  This prevents any team from falling more than three spots down from where their record dictates they would pick if the draft were done strictly by reversal of the standings.  

By rule, the worst-case scenario for Minnesota, Cleveland and Toronto (the teams with the three worst record in the league in 2010-11) would have been to select fourth, fifth and sixth respectively.

Cleveland got remarkably lucky with the pick acquired from the Clippers that won the lottery, yes.  But as far as "how well Cleveland did in BOTH their picks" [emphasis yours], the only possibility that would have been worse for the Cavaliers' other selection would have been fifth.

I don't say that to suggest that Cavs fans should gripe about selecting first and fourth but in demonstration of the premise that conspiracy intimations are a bit silly.

-sw

Noooooooo!!! Stern has gotten to Steve, too!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It would probably be best if they took a bunch of pictures of the event, but didn't let us see it, and then dumped the ping pong balls in the Indian Ocean.  I mean what proof do we need?

Buh dum bing!

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Kahn is an idiot whose ego is way too big.  First off, he should be happy that he does not have the decision of whether the go with Rubio or Irving...that probably would have been the last nail in the coffin for him.  But beyond that, its just ridiculous.  The league goes to great lengths to make sure the drawing is legit, including having witnesses from every team in the room when it takes place.  Kahn just needs to shut up, and start trying to win games rather than relying on pingpong balls.
I just saw Kahn's comments ... unbelievable!

That deserves at least a seven figure fine.
For saying what we've all been saying for years?

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
They should just pick the ping pong balls on live TV. I dont like the whole envelope deal, makes things super sketchy to me.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Kahn is an idiot whose ego is way too big.  First off, he should be happy that he does not have the decision of whether the go with Rubio or Irving...that probably would have been the last nail in the coffin for him.  But beyond that, its just ridiculous.  The league goes to great lengths to make sure the drawing is legit, including having witnesses from every team in the room when it takes place.  Kahn just needs to shut up, and start trying to win games rather than relying on pingpong balls.

For saying what we've all been saying for years?

Fans are allowed to have (or voice) crazy conspiracy theories that aren't based in reality, GM's are not.  It is completely inappropriate, and biting the hand that feeds him. 

But, of course he was joking.  But I think he should actually win a few games before he can start joking around.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

"Moonlanding made for a great story" - David Kahn

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441

Did you watch the video? Kahn was very clearly joking and it got blown out of proportion.
No, I didn't even know there was a video of it. Just read his quotes.

Okay, that is not so bad. If it was clearly a joke. No need for a harsh fine. Still an inappropriate joke for a person in his position to make and deserves to be reprimanded.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be

Did you watch the video? Kahn was very clearly joking and it got blown out of proportion.
No, I didn't even know there was a video of it. Just read his quotes.

Okay, that is not so bad. If it was clearly a joke. No need for a harsh fine. Still an inappropriate joke for a person in his position to make and deserves to be reprimanded.

Exactly.  Joking or not, Kahn came across as sore loser and idiot for those comments. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I haven't seen the video myself, but from what I read it's abundantly clear that he's kidding.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've been saying it since the before the TWolves took Rubio and Flynn and then spent millions on Ramon Sessions, Kahn is an idiot and a bad GM/President/Director of Player Personnel. He has been an abject disaster in Minnesota and I cannot understand how he keeps his job.

So he had a year of bringing in PGs and a year of overpaying for PFs. He gets the #2 pick in this draft and the best players are a PG and a PF. This guy is an idiot. He'll probably take 2 SGs with his two picks in this draft even though SG is this draft's weakest position in a draft that might be the weakest in 3 decades.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Just to be clear, I still think the guy is an idiot. I've said on multiple occasions that the Flynn pick was one of the worst 3 picks in the history of the draft. I just don't think he deserves to be condemned for these comments.