Author Topic: Bismack Biyombo  (Read 30778 times)

Re: Bismack Biyombo
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
you sir posimpos should go back a page or two ;)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
this guy just looks like a shorter haseem thabeet to me. Can't shoot, can't dribble, no signs of any passing ability, and a frame that might not be capable of putting on the weight necessary to play PF in the league.

At 6'8"/6'9" and at 240 pounds, and you still think he needs the extra weight? If he weighed 260 pounds, you'd probably say he is overweight.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Biyambo will not be available when the Celtics pick. He is in the top ten now on all mock drafts.

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Biyambo will not be available when the Celtics pick. He is in the top ten now on all mock drafts.

yeah, i saw something indicating the t-wolves might take him at #1 if they got the number 1 pick.  cause you know, another PF is exactly what they need.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
this guy just looks like a shorter haseem thabeet to me. Can't shoot, can't dribble, no signs of any passing ability, and a frame that might not be capable of putting on the weight necessary to play PF in the league.

At 6'8"/6'9" and at 240 pounds, and you still think he needs the extra weight? If he weighed 260 pounds, you'd probably say he is overweight.

If you just look at the numbers, it looks decent, but if you actually look at his frame, he's small.  Look at boozer, zbo, duncan, griffin, david west...even bosh looks bigger. My main point as you quoted, wasn't about his size though.

The issue, is that once he joins the league where EVERYONE has size, and almost everyone has athleticism, you need skills to survive. From what I've seen, he doesn't have any skills. ie...Cant pass, shoot, or dribble. That's where I see the thabeet likeness. A skill-less player whose size and athletic dominance will be negated by the competition at the next level.

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 01:43:36 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I am also intrigued by Jeremy Tyler for the same reason.  There are certainly a lot of questions about him, but the talent is there, and that pick is just a good time to take a flyer on a kid who could be a really good big man if he gets his head on straight.

I agree. If I'm Danny this is my target.  2 years ago, he was projected to be a top 5 pick.  This was the kid who was the #1 junior in the country in a class with Harrison Barnes, Kyrie Erving, Enes Kanter, Sullinger, guys who were all projected to go at the top of the draft.  With a late first rounder, I think we need to take a chance, especially in a weak draft like this year. 

Hmmm. This sounds vaguely reminiscent of what was said about Bradley. Top of his class talent, etc.

What happened to Taylor to make his stock drop so much?

I havn't been up on him as much as when he first left the USA, but initially he was just too immature to handle playing overseas.  He went from being the best hs player in the country to being an average player in his league and had issues dealing with that.  I know he has gotten better as of late. 
do it

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 01:51:09 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If we draft him, I make an immediate motion for his nickname to be Otto Van Bismak.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 02:16:47 AM »

Offline LarryForThree

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
Whats the deal with listing potential draftees for the Celtics height with and without shoes?

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 09:24:50 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Except nba draft net, which updated last night and has him going 25th to the Celtics.  But that's a case of being stubborn, late to the hype I think.....I expect draft net to move him closer to lottery territory over the next few weeks..merited or not.  Then again, he could slip depending on workouts, but my guess is teams will be willing to take a chance on improvement in skills and teachability...

I'm not excited about the late first round, which is rare for me good or bad draft.....so I'd say if Tyler shows any signs at all that he can fix the intangible (maturity?) that caused his stock to plummet, then there's hope and the Celtics should draft him...one site has him at the end of the second round, so someone's got some flags on him for sure...

as far as who might slide to us at 25 that might be worth a look: Nolan Smith, Tobias Harris, Chris Singleton........Honeycutt seems to have divided the scouts so I have no clue...something tells me he'll do well but that's just one of those bizarre inner voices...I like B.U.'s Reggie Jackson's size at PG......anyone seen him play?  Also:  Vucevic for USC.....big with long arms....can he be so bad really?  Is he super slow or something?  He's considered an earlyish second rounder....wonder if that's right..

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Recently, it seems that at least one athletic, raw, big man slips in the draft, at least in comparison to where the mocks have him listed. I would not be suprised to see it happen again this year. I'm still ticked at Danny for passing on Deandre Jordan for J.R. Giddens. Deandre seemed like such a no-brainer when he slipped to us, and J.R. had bench-player-at-best written all over him. Just think if Deandre had come up learning from KG, Perk, and our other bigs instead of that mess in Clipperville. He'd really help us right now. I think Danny made a similar mistake when he passed up Whiteside last year for Bradley, though I have higher hopes for Bradley than I ever did for J.R.. 
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Recently, it seems that at least one athletic, raw, big man slips in the draft, at least in comparison to where the mocks have him listed. I would not be suprised to see it happen again this year. I'm still ticked at Danny for passing on Deandre Jordan for J.R. Giddens. Deandre seemed like such a no-brainer when he slipped to us, and J.R. had bench-player-at-best written all over him. Just think if Deandre had come up learning from KG, Perk, and our other bigs instead of that mess in Clipperville. He'd really help us right now. I think Danny made a similar mistake when he passed up Whiteside last year for Bradley, though I have higher hopes for Bradley than I ever did for J.R.. 

While someone may slip, I don't expect it to be Biyombo.  Jordan slipped because he had an incredibly underwhelming season, and his stock just plummeted as the season went on, with many people questioning his makeup, and desire.  For Biyombo, his stock is on the rise, and short of a major injury during workouts will likely continue to rise as the buzz on him grows. 

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am also intrigued by Jeremy Tyler for the same reason.  There are certainly a lot of questions about him, but the talent is there, and that pick is just a good time to take a flyer on a kid who could be a really good big man if he gets his head on straight.

I agree. If I'm Danny this is my target.  2 years ago, he was projected to be a top 5 pick.  This was the kid who was the #1 junior in the country in a class with Harrison Barnes, Kyrie Erving, Enes Kanter, Sullinger, guys who were all projected to go at the top of the draft.  With a late first rounder, I think we need to take a chance, especially in a weak draft like this year. 

Hmmm. This sounds vaguely reminiscent of what was said about Bradley. Top of his class talent, etc.

What happened to Taylor to make his stock drop so much?

I havn't been up on him as much as when he first left the USA, but initially he was just too immature to handle playing overseas.  He went from being the best hs player in the country to being an average player in his league and had issues dealing with that.  I know he has gotten better as of late. 

Yeah, basically, his time overseas has been a bit of a nightmare.  Although, much like with Jennings, that does not necessarily mean it is completely representative.

I think his stock dropped a lot just from his original decision to skip his senior year of highschool to play in Europe.  I think a lot of people questioned that decision, and wondered if it was a sign of overall immaturity (of course it was, he was Junior in Highschool). 

In Europe, it just didn't work out at all.  I am not sure about the specifics, but he left his team shortly after getting there.  I don't know if it was a cultural thing, or a basketball issue (He barely played, and I have heard that some of these European coaches hate playing these guys, when they know they are just using them as a springboard to the NBA), but either way, it left more questions about his maturity and mental makeup, and he lost a lot of development time. 

Then, this year he has been playing in Japan (under former NBA coach Bob Hill).  Unfortunately, it is hard to find much information about how he has actually done there, which I think is a big reason he is not very high on most mock drafts.  Plus, they cancelled the end of the season due to the Earthquake in Japan.

So, he is just a huge question mark.  Basically, drafting him would be similar to drafting a high school kid, because he simply had not had the high level experience to get a better grasp on what he can do.  So, the individual workouts, and particularly the interviews are going to be huge for him being drafted. 

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Jeremy Tyler's stats -- season averages + game log -- while in Japan.

I have no idea what the level of competition is like over there though. From the look of his stats (10/6 in 15mpg), I would say it's pretty low.

-----------------------------------------------

Update

The league he is playing in was only created in 2005. It's a brand new league. Hard to see them having much quality ... especially quality big men ... for Jeremy to test himself against.

Here are there recent MVPs -- does anyone recognize the names and is able to give an evaluation on the quality of the league ... considering these guys where the MVPs and Jeremy Tyler can only get 15 minutes per game in this league.

Season MVP
Season    Recipient    Team
2005-06 Season    Lynn Washington -- link   
2006-07 Season    David Palmer -- link
2007-08 Season    Lynn Washington    
2008-09 Season    Jeff Newton -- link   
2009-10 Season    Wendell White -- link

From what I could find out about those guys from a quick Google search ... it is not an impressive group of players. Makes me uneasy that J.Tyler can only muster 15mpg in this league.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:40:54 AM by Who »

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44

While it is fair for you to compare him to Thabeet, it may also interest you that Hakeem Olajuwon could not shoot, dribble or pass the ball. And his frame got bigger as he aged.

If you just look at the numbers, it looks decent, but if you actually look at his frame, he's small.  Look at boozer, zbo, duncan, griffin, david west...even bosh looks bigger. My main point as you quoted, wasn't about his size though.

The issue, is that once he joins the league where EVERYONE has size, and almost everyone has athleticism, you need skills to survive. From what I've seen, he doesn't have any skills. ie...Cant pass, shoot, or dribble. That's where I see the thabeet likeness. A skill-less player whose size and athletic dominance will be negated by the competition at the next level.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Jeremy Tyler's stats -- season averages + game log -- while in Japan.

I have no idea what the level of competition is like over there though. From the look of his stats (10/6 in 15mpg), I would say it's pretty low.

-----------------------------------------------

Update

The league he is playing in was only created in 2005. It's a brand new league. Hard to see them having much quality ... especially quality big men ... for Jeremy to test himself against.

Here are there recent MVPs -- does anyone recognize the names and is able to give an evaluation on the quality of the league ... considering these guys where the MVPs and Jeremy Tyler can only get 15 minutes per game in this league.

Season MVP
Season    Recipient    Team
2005-06 Season    Lynn Washington -- link   
2006-07 Season    David Palmer -- link
2007-08 Season    Lynn Washington    
2008-09 Season    Jeff Newton -- link   
2009-10 Season    Wendell White -- link

From what I could find out about those guys from a quick Google search ... it is not an impressive group of players. Makes me uneasy that J.Tyler can only muster 15mpg in this league.

Right, but remember, Brandon Jennings was the same way.  Biyombo is the same way too, he's only playing about 17 minutes a game right now.  It's tough to judge because all of the leagues are different.  I just think this is a fairly weak draft in terms of top of the line talent, so with a late first round pick, I think you pick someone based more on potential and just hope he improves.  Also, Tyler went to Japan specifically because Bob Hill was there.  He's 6'11, 250, long and looks to be in great shape.  In  highschool, he was very athletic and had a solid midrange.  That could be gone now, who knows.
do it