Author Topic: '11 Nuggets Post-Melo = '04 Pistons?  (Read 7745 times)

Re: '11 Nuggets Post-Melo = '04 Pistons?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I do think that if they had a coach that focused more on defense, rather than trying to be the highest scoring team in the NBA, then they could really pull something off like the Pistons. I mean players don't have to be good defenders as long as the team defense is good.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:41 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I do think that if they had a coach that focused more on defense, rather than trying to be the highest scoring team in the NBA, then they could really pull something off like the Pistons. I mean players don't have to be good defenders as long as the team defense is good.

They've actually been playing pretty good defense in their streak since the trade.  That's mostly effort, though, and not real defensive ability.  They aren't built to defend well.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 06:18:16 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Not a chance

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:08 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Just to play some devil's advocate to some of the naysayers here:

It's time to take the Nuggets very seriously. They're the No. 1 offensive team in the league, and have actually been the best defensive team (96.6) since the All-Star break. As evidence of their balance, nine different Nuggets scored in double-figures in at least one of their three games last week.

From NBA.com's Power Rankings.  Karl gets lots of credit for what he manages to do with his team offensively, but perhaps he doesn't get enough credit for what he does with them defensively.  It seems like Melo and Billups may have been much larger defensive liabilities than was previously considered.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
It seems like Melo and Billups may have been much larger defensive liabilities than was previously considered.
Neither guy was that much of a defensive liability.

The reason for the change is better cohesiveness and more consistent effort from the squad as a whole. Not at an individual spot but as a collective.

It's more like what Denver were doing two years ago when they made the Conference Finals. When they were the 7th or 8th best defensive team in the league.

They were a very good defensive team talent wise both before and after the trade. With Nene and Kenyon (especially Kenyon) being their defensive leaders.

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
It seems like Melo and Billups may have been much larger defensive liabilities than was previously considered.
Neither guy was that much of a defensive liability.

The reason for the change is better cohesiveness and more consistent effort from the squad as a whole. Not at an individual spot but as a collective.

It's more like what Denver were doing two years ago when they made the Conference Finals. When they were the 7th or 8th best defensive team in the league.

They were a very good defensive team talent wise both before and after the trade. With Nene and Kenyon (especially Kenyon) being their defensive leaders.

Well, neither Billups nor Melo is playing much defense on the Knicks, that's for sure.  I think you're probably right, though.  Still, I think Karl deserves credit for instilling that defensive effort in the team while keeping them as a top offensive squad.  If he can keep that going I wouldn't be altogether shocked to see them win a series, maybe even two.

Last year, I thought the Nuggets were the ideal Lakers killer (they played them very well in the regular season and have the best HCA in the league).  I was convinced that if the Nuggets faced the Lakers in the post-season (instead of the Jazz) that they'd have a really good chance to knock them off.  That could still be the case, though they'll probably have to get past San Antonio in order to face the Lakers in the WCF (which I don't see happening).

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
That Detroit Pistons had a top 5 point guard + a borderline top 5 shooting guard + a top 5 power forward + a top 5 center.

This Denver Nuggets team has nowhere near that level of individual top tier talent.

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Nuggets are gonna get killed and a lot of people (especially those experts who are saying things like "its time to take these Nuggets very seriously.") are gonna look silly.

Remember the 07-08 Rockets? Where they won 22 games straight well into March, finished with 55 wins, and then lost in 6 games in the first round to Utah? That plucky overachieving team that had its best player hurt and its second best player out with injury, that started Deke Mutombo and Bobby Jackson, and played (then) no-namer Chuck Hayes like 23 minutes a game to go on and be considered a contender when they were more novelty than contender? Yeah you do...

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
 Still, I think Karl deserves credit for instilling that defensive effort in the team while keeping them as a top offensive squad.  
Yeah, I agree, I think George Karl deserves a tremendous amount of credit for how the Nuggets are playing defensively and as a whole since the trade. He has done a fantastic job.

Karl would have been a CoY candidate if he had that roster for a full season. Maybe next year.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
 Still, I think Karl deserves credit for instilling that defensive effort in the team while keeping them as a top offensive squad.  
Yeah, I agree, I think George Karl deserves a tremendous amount of credit for how the Nuggets are playing defensively and as a whole since the trade. He has done a fantastic job.

Karl would have been a CoY candidate if he had that roster for a full season. Maybe next year.

I expect the Nuggets will be considerably worse next year than they have been the last couple of months.  At some point having all that depth will become an issue as players vie for increased playing time.  A team like that is just not sustainable.  Plus, next year will not be a full season, and it'll start pretty late.  By the time the Nuggets play again after the playoffs, they'll probably have lost a lot of that cohesion and chemistry.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Didn't that '04 Pistons team trot out 4 all-stars, or did they not make the AST until the following year?  That's probably big difference #1.

Big difference #2 is depth.  How many starter-quality players does Denver have now?  Excluding C, they seem at least 2-deep at each position.

We're looking more like the '04 Pistons than Denver, IMO.

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Didn't that '04 Pistons team trot out 4 all-stars, or did they not make the AST until the following year?  That's probably big difference #1.

Big difference #2 is depth.  How many starter-quality players does Denver have now?  Excluding C, they seem at least 2-deep at each position.

Birdman could start for a lot of teams.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Denver has plenty of depth, its their top end talent that is lacking.

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 02:32:52 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Denver has plenty of depth, its their top end talent that is lacking.

You'll get no argument from me there.  Their best player is probably Nene.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 03:38:30 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

I expect the Nuggets will be considerably worse next year than they have been the last couple of months.  At some point having all that depth will become an issue as players vie for increased playing time.  A team like that is just not sustainable.  Plus, next year will not be a full season, and it'll start pretty late.  By the time the Nuggets play again after the playoffs, they'll probably have lost a lot of that cohesion and chemistry.

Only if Karl isn't their coach.

This is the perfect storm for Karl.  A team of solid players with "superstar".  I see them as better than next year if they can sign most of the ir free agents.