Author Topic: So, I got Wait-Listed at 5/9 Law Schools (so far) . . .  (Read 17001 times)

Re: So, I got Wait-Listed at 5/9 Law Schools (so far) . . .
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

It could be, like Roy said, that having really good numbers for a couple of the schools might actually lower my chances because they could perceive that I am using them as a safety. 

Interesting that this supports strongly the thread about http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=45950.0 posters paying more attention to volume posters, particularly this quote:
"Does anyone ever notice on this board that posters usually tend to respond more to high-volume posters who they already know, even when the comments are redundant, rather than notice posts from others who they may not know?"

Just sayin'.

TP FRDrake for your observation. 

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Not a big deal, and just an observation.

Read my first post in response to your OP and then the third post subsequent to that. Then read the above quote,especially regarding the redundancy, and whose thought was acknowledged as opposed to the originally articulated same thought. Again, just another corroboration of FRDrake's thread and proposition on high volume posters being acknowledged often on this board, even if the thought that they expressed by the high volume poster was the same as a previous poster, hence the redundancy acknowledged as opposed to the person who expressed the idea first.

The third post after yours was made by Roy . . . .
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's saying these two comments were the equivalent of one another:

. . . in my other life as a guidance counselor, I have called many Admissions Offices advocating on behalf of my students, but until last year, not for any of my own....one office I called in particular, where I had cultivated a good contact told me this: kids are applying to twenty (exaggeration) colleges nowadays...we know this, so we don't take everyone we would have taken before, especially those who we might think would go somewhere else.

I got into the four schools in my tier, was rejected at the reach, and was wait-listed at my safety.  Why?  Because I'm sure they knew they were my safety.  You could very well be experiencing the same thing.

Since you responded to my comment (which was posted later), rather than his, he thinks that you responded to me because I'm a "volume poster".  Personally, I think people pay too much attention to this stuff (and sometimes take things a bit too personally, although I'm not saying CsFan is).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

. . . in my other life as a guidance counselor, I have called many Admissions Offices advocating on behalf of my students, but until last year, not for any of my own....one office I called in particular, where I had cultivated a good contact told me this: kids are applying to twenty (exaggeration) colleges nowadays...we know this, so we don't take everyone we would have taken before, especially those who we might think would go somewhere else.

I got into the four schools in my tier, was rejected at the reach, and was wait-listed at my safety.  Why?  Because I'm sure they knew they were my safety.  You could very well be experiencing the same thing.

Since you responded to my comment (which was posted later), rather than his, he thinks that you responded to me because I'm a "volume poster".  Personally, I think people pay too much attention to this stuff (and sometimes take things a bit too personally, although I'm not saying CsFan is).

Hey Roy, thank you for both the clarification of my point for Pos and the brother attorney-like discliamer at the end  about you not saying that I was taking it personally.TP for your tact.

What concerns me is that my communication skills may be eroding in that my two posts, the first which raised this issue (and granted I was intentionally somewhat vague so as not to be perceived as accusatory or calling someone out) and my second in which I was somewhat more explicit to explain my first, were not understood.

You guys from the other side of the river at the Heights look out for each other anyway. Those little Eaglettes do need tending. ;)

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Hey Roy, thank you for both the clarification of my point for Pos and the brother attorney-like discliamer at the end  about you not saying that I was taking it personally.TP for your tact.

What concerns me is that my communication skills may be eroding in that my two posts, the first which raised this issue (and granted I was intentionally somewhat vague so as not to be perceived as accusatory or calling someone out) and my second in which I was somewhat more explicit to explain my first, were not understood.

You guys from the other side of the river at the Heights look out for each other anyway. Those little Eaglettes do need tending. ;)

I got what you were saying, I don't think your communication skills are eroding, don't worry!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I applied to two law schools for admission in 2002.  I was wait listed on one and never got in, but was perfectly happy where I ended up (U. of Cincinnati - which is my undergrad alma mater).  Got hired as a law clerk at a construction company (undergrad in civil engineering helped with that) in my third year of law school and have been here every since.  Certainly not the traditional path to in-house counsel and I certainly don't make the kind of money that many of my peers make, but I love what I do and have a ton of flexibility in my work-life balance because I don't kill myself working 80 hours a week that you often find at the large firms (every so often when I'm in trial I work the long hours, but it isn't typical).  Also by going to a public school, I have no debt so I didn't feel the need to get one of those big firm jobs that pay a lot but work you to the bone (so you actually earn that big salary).  And the reality is, for the most part, the first job is the only one where it really matters where you went to law school and all accredited law schools pretty much train you the same (i.e. as in very little for what a lawyer actually does).

The legal market is very difficult right now.  If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't go to law school, especially one that will put you in a ton of debt.  It can be crippling and will greatly limit the type of job you can pursue.  If you have 300k in debt, it is difficult to do a passion project, work for a non-profit (or the government), hang your own shingle, etc.  You feel the pressure of the debt and the only real way to pay that off is at a big firm, where many lawyers lose themselves and lose passion for the law.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Yeah, I referenced yours, because yours was more clearly talking about my current predicament.  I didn't think of his because it was speaking from the perspective of admissions, while yours was from the perspective of a prospective student.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
An update:

I received an e-mail today entitled

CONGRATULATIONS FROM BOSTON COLLEGE LAW SCHOOL

I've been accepted, which was a surprise this late in the game.  :)  Still have yet to hear back from Cornell, UPenn, and Columbia, but I'd be shocked if I got any better than wait-listed at any of those schools.

I'm excited that I got in somewhere, though.  BC is definitely a good school.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
An update:

I've been accepted, which was a surprise this late in the game.  :)  Still have yet to hear back from Cornell, UPenn, and Columbia, but I'd be shocked if I got any better than wait-listed at any of those schools.

Congrats!

Just curious, did you attempt Harvard or Yale?

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
An update:

Congrats!

Nope.  Applying as late as I did, with my numbers, there simply wasn't any chance at all that I'd get in.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
An update:

Congrats, that's great news!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Congratulations.....exciting time.........savor these moments, they are too infrequent in life, but that's what makes them so special....

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
An update:

Congrats!  BC has its issues, but the faculty is mostly fantastic, and it's still got a stellar reputation.  I think you'll like it there, if that's where you end up going.

It's been awhile since I graduated, but a lot of the profs are probably the same, so if you have any questions about specific courses, I may be able to help you out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Congratulations.

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
An update:

I've been accepted, which was a surprise this late in the game.  :)  Still have yet to hear back from Cornell, UPenn, and Columbia, but I'd be shocked if I got any better than wait-listed at any of those schools.

I'm excited that I got in somewhere, though.  BC is definitely a good school.

Congrats dude.  So your gonna be a double Eagle!

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 08:42:58 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
An update:

I've been accepted, which was a surprise this late in the game.  :)  Still have yet to hear back from Cornell, UPenn, and Columbia, but I'd be shocked if I got any better than wait-listed at any of those schools.

I'm excited that I got in somewhere, though.  BC is definitely a good school.

Congrats!

Nope.  Applying as late as I did, with my numbers, there simply wasn't any chance at all that I'd get in.

As an Ithaca college grad, I would recommend BC over Cornell.  Cornell may have a better name, but trying to find jobs and internships when you are in Ithaca is very very tough.  There is literally nothing out there haha.  however if you do end up out there let me know and I will tell you about all the local hotspots.   ;)