Author Topic: Injury update and return date thread  (Read 82463 times)

Re: Injury update and return date thread
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
So when is Shaq going to play again? I really hope he is back for Game 1 against Miami, if not, he's probably done. If someone has any news, please don't hesitate to post them here.

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2011, 08:49:44 AM »

Offline kingstaystheking

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Word going around is that Shaq is attempting to play with a partial achilles tear....after I heard it, I rewatched how he got hurt (again) and it makes sense. Intense pain, no real mechanism of injury, and his obvious inability to walk directly after. Since the calf muscle is a part of the achilles, I guess the vagueness of the injury report can encapsulate the truth.

If this is accurate, it means very little mobility, very little lift, and a whole lotta pain.

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Word going around is that Shaq is attempting to play with a partial achilles tear....after I heard it, I rewatched how he got hurt (again) and it makes sense. Intense pain, no real mechanism of injury, and his obvious inability to walk directly after. Since the calf muscle is a part of the achilles, I guess the vagueness of the injury report can encapsulate the truth.

If this is accurate, it means very little mobility, very little lift, and a whole lotta pain.

Not good news! >:(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
Where did you hear that? Is there any offical report on this?

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Come on what is with these trolls word going around is bla blah then they never go on to name the source  ::)
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2011, 01:45:49 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

Come on what is with these trolls word going around is bla blah then they never go on to name the source  ::)

Yea, I won't go as far as to call anyone a troll, but no one's really said anything official on Shaq since Doc stated he'd be out Game 4, and it can only be assumed that kingstaystheking lives anywhere near Boston if he wants to claim he's serious. Either way, the team starts practice again Wednesday (which I guess is today as of this post), and we won't know how Shaq is until then.

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2011, 01:56:49 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
Either way, the team starts practice again Wednesday (which I guess is today as of this post), and we won't know how Shaq is until then.

They probably "won't even try" again. ::)

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2011, 06:55:06 AM »

Offline kingstaystheking

• Xavier Tillman
I apologize for not naming the source of where I have heard about Shaq's potential achilles tear, but I really can not.It is not a media source, but a personal one.  It has not been officially announced and it wont be until after the fact, most likely. The bottom line is that shaq was in a specific office, trying out a specific orthotic for his shoe that is meant to decrease stress on the achilles, and from what I heard, the testing was unsuccessful due to the extent of his achilles injury.

believe it or not, that is up to you. just passing along info. apologies for "trolling".

but rewatch the injury vid -specifically for the point where after shaq initially feels pain and looks around to see if someone stepped on his foot-and you will again see no cause of injury and an obvious rear foor/achilles injury due to his absolute lack of ability to put the foot in plantarflexion.....sports med 101 tells us achilles injury. source supports that notion.

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2011, 07:00:17 AM »

Offline kingstaystheking

• Xavier Tillman
BTW- I would absolutely love to be wrong about this.

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:45 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
I apologize for not naming the source of where I have heard about Shaq's potential achilles tear, but I really can not.It is not a media source, but a personal one.  It has not been officially announced and it wont be until after the fact, most likely. The bottom line is that shaq was in a specific office, trying out a specific orthotic for his shoe that is meant to decrease stress on the achilles, and from what I heard, the testing was unsuccessful due to the extent of his achilles injury.

believe it or not, that is up to you. just passing along info. apologies for "trolling".

but rewatch the injury vid -specifically for the point where after shaq initially feels pain and looks around to see if someone stepped on his foot-and you will again see no cause of injury and an obvious rear foor/achilles injury due to his absolute lack of ability to put the foot in plantarflexion.....sports med 101 tells us achilles injury. source supports that notion.

If you are referring to his injury against the Pistons, I'd find it hard to believe that wasn't a calf injury. A tear of the Achilles, from my understanding, is a very long rehab process. Ruptures take up to a full year for professional athletes.

We saw nothing noticeable with KG's of Wafer's calf injuries either, so I wouldn't look too much into Shaq's reaction. If anything, he looked surprised at whatever happened (even looking back as if he stepped on something). If a guy is recovering from an injury and reinjures it after 5 minutes, I doubt he is that surprised.

I think if he has a tear, they wouldn't be trying him every few days and claiming he is close. If he originally had one in February, that seems slightly more possible. But I thought the original reason for shutting him down was the "foot"? I know people like to talk about Ainge and the medical staff, but I don't think they are blatantly lying.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2011, 07:57:12 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Shaq pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2011, 08:02:04 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

If you are referring to his injury against the Pistons, I'd find it hard to believe that wasn't a calf injury. A tear of the Achilles, from my understanding, is a very long rehab process. Ruptures take up to a full year for professional athletes.

We saw nothing noticeable with KG's of Wafer's calf injuries either, so I wouldn't look too much into Shaq's reaction. If anything, he looked surprised at whatever happened (even looking back as if he stepped on something). If a guy is recovering from an injury and reinjures it after 5 minutes, I doubt he is that surprised.

I think if he has a tear, they wouldn't be trying him every few days and claiming he is close. If he originally had one in February, that seems slightly more possible. But I thought the original reason for shutting him down was the "foot"? I know people like to talk about Ainge and the medical staff, but I don't think they are blatantly lying.

Im on record saying it was an achilles tear the night that it happened.  Just throwing it out there.  One of my best friends is a professional athletic trainer and he said there was no way it was a calf by the looks of the injury
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think there's a lot of confusion about what we've been told in the media.  Here's my understanding:

1.  Shaq has been out since February with an "achilles strain".  This is basically the equivalent of a "tear".  As wikipedia informs us, "a strain is an injury to a muscle or tendon in which the muscle fibres tear as a result of overstretching";

2.  A "tear" does not necessarily mean a full tear or a rupture.  However, by definition Shaq does in fact have an "achilles tear";

3.  This injury is a notoriously slow at healing, due to blood supply issues and the fact that weight is constantly being applied to the area.  Shaq's foot was immobilized in a boot to combat these issues;

4.  In Detroit, Shaq attempted a comeback, at which time he suffered what was classified as a "calf strain".  Initially, the team was optimistic about his outlook, predicting he'd be back in a matter of days and calling the injury "very minor";

5.  The most recent public diagnosis is "a triceps surae injury which has created pain around his right calf and Achilles tendon that has been too painful for him to play through".  The "triceps surae" is a combination of two muscles, the gastrocnemius and the soleus.  The soleus muscle connects to the achilles tendon.

Personally, I'm a bit shocked that many people seem to think that the achilles injury and the calf injury are unrelated, especially when the calf injury is reported to be causing achilles pain.  I think this is largely the same injury that's been bothering him for three months now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »

Offline kingstaystheking

• Xavier Tillman
All good points regarding the intricacies of the injury:
I am an athletic trainer, have been one for 10 years. As we previously stated, the achilles is part of the calf, so saying that an achilles injury is different than a calf injury is accurate, but they can also be one in the same - which is why my guess is that the celts refer to it as a calf injury.

Like any tendon or ligament, partial tears of the achilles are common...full fledged tears are some of the most painful obvious injuries that we see (reports from those injured state that it feels like a shot gun blast to the achilles, and in fact tends to be characterized by the lower calf muscle actually rolling up into the leg - similarly to what happens when you snap a window shade to roll it up). Partial tears, which is what was stated as what occured, can be played on. It certainly limits what someone can do, specifically in basketball where lift and mobility are two of the more important factors for functionality.

going on what Roy stated (and props to him for the accurate write up), this could certainly be an extension of the original injury. or it could be a secondary injury caused by the weakness from the initial injury. the reason i threw it out there is so that we as a community can come to grips with the fact that most likely shaq will not be back, and if he does come back, he will be severely limited.

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
All good points regarding the intricacies of the injury:
I am an athletic trainer, have been one for 10 years. As we previously stated, the achilles is part of the calf, so saying that an achilles injury is different than a calf injury is accurate, but they can also be one in the same - which is why my guess is that the celts refer to it as a calf injury.

Like any tendon or ligament, partial tears of the achilles are common...full fledged tears are some of the most painful obvious injuries that we see (reports from those injured state that it feels like a shot gun blast to the achilles, and in fact tends to be characterized by the lower calf muscle actually rolling up into the leg - similarly to what happens when you snap a window shade to roll it up). Partial tears, which is what was stated as what occured, can be played on. It certainly limits what someone can do, specifically in basketball where lift and mobility are two of the more important factors for functionality.

going on what Roy stated (and props to him for the accurate write up), this could certainly be an extension of the original injury. or it could be a secondary injury caused by the weakness from the initial injury. the reason i threw it out there is so that we as a community can come to grips with the fact that most likely shaq will not be back, and if he does come back, he will be severely limited.

Even though most around here (at least from what I've seen) believe Shaq may not be back anyways? Now you're sounding like our friend from the Eagle Tribune. Your source only has any legs cause of KG from '09, and right now, I think that's all he may be using, or maybe even you.