Author Topic: Knicks are better than Orlando now  (Read 6226 times)

Re: Knicks are better than Orlando now
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 09:47:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The demise of the magic will hopefully steer Dwight Howard towards Boston in 2012.
I heard this morning that NY, LA and Atlanta are possible destinations--no real word about Boston--except on this blog.

We may not have cap space, if they keep Jeff Green around.  You've got $27M committed between Pierce and Rondo in 2012, and if they keep Jeff Green around you're probably looking at what,  at least $32M in salaries just for those three.  Maybe Baby's in there, too, and there are cap holds for roster spots even if players aren't signed to contracts.

But importantly, to have any cap space to offer Dwight a max deal, they'll have to renounce their rights both KG and Ray Allen, like what Miami did with JO and all of their other free agents this past summer.

Even if they did renounce both those guys (meaning they would likely only be able to return on vet-min deals), I don't see how the C's would have the space to offer Dwight a max deal without having traded Pierce or Rondo.

I just don't see how Dwight makes his way up north.

LA's best option to get D12 is via sign and trade involving Andrew Bynum - they have a ton of money committed to Kobe and Paul and won't be able to sign him straight up. And such a deal would be highly dependent on Bynum staying healthy between now and then.

As far as NY, no telling what the new CBA will look like but it would also be difficult for them to add a guy with Melo and Amar'e making $20m each.

Atlanta has big money committed to Joe Johnson, Al Horford, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams through 2012.

So we're just as in the mix as those teams.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
ZOMG! ORLANDO IS TEH SUXORS!... W8.. WUT?

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 09:53:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The demise of the magic will hopefully steer Dwight Howard towards Boston in 2012.
I heard this morning that NY, LA and Atlanta are possible destinations--no real word about Boston--except on this blog.
Who were you listening to on the radio? Jean Dixon?

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 09:56:33 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

We may not have cap space, if they keep Jeff Green around.  You've got $27M committed between Pierce and Rondo in 2012, and if they keep Jeff Green around you're probably looking at what,  at least $32M in salaries just for those three.  Maybe Baby's in there, too, and there are cap holds for roster spots even if players aren't signed to contracts.

But importantly, to have any cap space to offer Dwight a max deal, they'll have to renounce their rights both KG and Ray Allen, like what Miami did with JO and all of their other free agents this past summer.

Even if they did renounce both those guys (meaning they would likely only be able to return on vet-min deals), I don't see how the C's would have the space to offer Dwight a max deal without having traded Pierce or Rondo.

We need contracts to make the sign and trade work. Cap space is overrated.

And why not renouce rights on KG and Ray? KG will probably retire by then.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Who were you listening to on the radio? Jean Dixon?

I heard there are 29 teams other than the Magic that Dwight Howard could possibly choose from. I heard this from the guy on my couch.

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I said Orlando lives and dies by the 3. Without it they suck. This still holds true. So does the fact that they overachieved in 09 and that there are lots of teams in the NBA better than them.

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

We may not have cap space, if they keep Jeff Green around.  You've got $27M committed between Pierce and Rondo in 2012, and if they keep Jeff Green around you're probably looking at what,  at least $32M in salaries just for those three.  Maybe Baby's in there, too, and there are cap holds for roster spots even if players aren't signed to contracts.

So, who are they going to trade to get Dwight?  Pierce?  Rondo?  Green/Baby/Avery? 

Pierce's contract could be a good fit, because of that partial guarantee in the last year, but I don't see Danny trading Paul.  Or more specifically, ownership letting him. 

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
Dwight hasn't said anything about wanting to go to LA or NY. that's just media tossing out garbage. what Dwight has said though is that he's sick and tired of reporters asking him where he's going because even he hasn't thought about it yet, let alone if he's going to leave.
- LilRip

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Knicks are one of the worst defensive teams in the league. They are not better than Orlando. Their coach is horrendous (but so is Orlando's).

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Orlando is dead in the water. They were never legit contenders in my eyes, even when they made the finals, but they should've been. Orlando was mismanaged they should've fired Otis smith after he signed Lewis to that ridiculous contract. They've got fat contracts all around and only 1 star player to show for it. I can't see SVG lasting after this season and I can't see Dwight hanging around post 2012. Orlando peaked in 09 and have been on a downhill slide ever since.

Otis had such a sweetheart set-up too.  A team with a recent history of attracting big name free agents (Grant Hill and T-Mac), the best big man in the game... And he wasted it on freaking Rashard Lewis!
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Agree, too bad the score shows otherwise.  They played good the first half.

I think many here are too dismissive of ORL.   39-22 is not elite but its a far cry from bad.  Amare can't defend Dwight.

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

We may not have cap space, if they keep Jeff Green around.  You've got $27M committed between Pierce and Rondo in 2012, and if they keep Jeff Green around you're probably looking at what,  at least $32M in salaries just for those three.  Maybe Baby's in there, too, and there are cap holds for roster spots even if players aren't signed to contracts.

So, who are they going to trade to get Dwight?  Pierce?  Rondo?  Green/Baby/Avery? 

Pierce's contract could be a good fit, because of that partial guarantee in the last year, but I don't see Danny trading Paul.  Or more specifically, ownership letting him. 
Sure. Green and Avery are possibilities. And who knows what will we will do with our MLE this off season and who we will re-sign.

If we have Baby, he can be traded. If we don't, we have more cap space.

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 11:04:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Guess I should have watched the 2nd half before starting this thread!!

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Guess I should have watched the 2nd half before starting this thread!!
If a single game doesn't really tell us much about a team, more so a first half.

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
If a single game doesn't really tell us much about a team, more so a first half.
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.