Author Topic: Why Magic desperation trades not looking too good now  (Read 4839 times)

Why Magic desperation trades not looking too good now
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:03:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I didn't like the trades for the Magic (I liked them for us!) when they happened, I wasn't convinced when they went on their 10 game win streak, and my initial impression has been confirmed in their last 12 games when they have been 6-6 and winning no games against quality opponents in that streak. Tonight's dismantling by the Heat cinches it for me: the Magic are no where near the team they were last year or the beginning of this year.

Two areas make them a far less formidable foe for both us and the Heat (their two biggest rivals and competitors in the East): depth and match-ups.

Before the trade, the Magic boasted a front-court of Howard, Gortat, Lewis, Anderson, and Bass. Now it's Howard, Bass, Anderson and Turkeyglue. Bass is injured now, Anderson starts>>>no depth. Who gives Dwight a blow? Nobody there. Match-up wise, what was a huge edge over the Heat and close to a wash with us is now close to a wash with the Z, Dampier, Anthony, Bosh Heat and a big edge to us.

Before the trade, the Magic had Nelson, Reddick, QRich, Vince Carter and Pietrus. Now it's  JRich and Agent Zero (who is a shell of his former self)in place of Carter and Pietrus. While I and most others on this board didn't think a whole lot of Vince Carter's heart (or lack thereof) defensively, offensively and athletically, this is at best a wash for the Magic and at worst a downgrade. Match-up wise against both the Heat and us, it's a net loss. Pietrus gave Pierce fits, and at least could slow Lebroid down a little. JRich is not strong enough to do this, and at least Rashard Lewis in addition to Pietrus had the height and quickness to bother LeBroid's outside shot and make him put it on the floor. Carter although weak could give Ray and DWade a better athletic challenge than Arenas.

The Magic may turn this all around, but I doubt it. They'll be lucky to hold off Chicago for that third spot. As it is now, I'd rather play the Magic than the Bulls. Before the trade, I would rather have seen the Magic play the Heat in the first round because of their edge in match-ups and have them bang the hell out of each other in 7 games. No longer. The desperation trades changed everything.

Re: Why Magic desperation trades not looking too good now
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:34:19 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
They arent big enough and dont have players outside of Howard that are good defenders.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't blame them for shaking things up because they weren't going to beat the Cs or Heat anyways. They traded defense for offense so they have to be on night in and night out. Tonight they weren't and for the most got handled.

I think its a forgone conclusion Howard is gone in two years. They are stuck with what they have now and won't get much better while Chicago and Miami will.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:59:14 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I actually like the 1st trade. Hedo and Jason Richardson are solid starters in the NBA. And they fit Stan Van Gundy System.

The Rashard Lewis-Gilbert Arenas Trade however was idiotic. Orlando Magic already has an all-star starting Point-Guard. The need for Gilbert wasn't there. IMO, Otis Smith let his personal relationship with Gilbert delude his decision making. Gil is injury prone (bad Knees), and his deal is longer. Rashard isn't perfect, but he fit that system. Just Ask KG, Rashard is his toughest assignment. Magic lost much needed size in the trade. Now they are left scrambling to fill that void. Wizards must be elated dumping Gilbert wasn't easy. But Thankfully for them Otis took the bait.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:48:24 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
They are the same team as they were before the trades; live and die by the three; it's just a different cast of characters.

12/33 from beyond the arc tonight vs MIA; which isn't all that bad of a percentage.  But that % was significantly boosted after the game was out of reach and they got really hot at the end.

When those triples are falling they can beat any team.  But they aren't a dominant team that's going to win many 7 game series against the better teams in the league.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:55:16 AM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132
They are the same team as they were before the trades; live and die by the three; it's just a different cast of characters.

12/33 from beyond the arc tonight vs MIA; which isn't all that bad of a percentage.  But that % was significantly boosted after the game was out of reach and they got really hot at the end.

When those triples are falling they can beat any team.  But they aren't a dominant team that's going to win many 7 game series against the better teams in the league.

:-X what he said

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

they at least have big man d
now... nothing
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I actually like the 1st trade. Hedo and Jason Richardson are solid starters in the NBA. And they fit Stan Van Gundy System.

The Rashard Lewis-Gilbert Arenas Trade however was idiotic. Orlando Magic already has an all-star starting Point-Guard. The need for Gilbert wasn't there. IMO, Otis Smith let his personal relationship with Gilbert delude his decision making. Gil is injury prone (bad Knees), and his deal is longer. Rashard isn't perfect, but he fit that system. Just Ask KG, Rashard is his toughest assignment. Magic lost much needed size in the trade. Now they are left scrambling to fill that void. Wizards must be elated dumping Gilbert wasn't easy. But Thankfully for them Otis took the bait.

The Arenas trade was a gamble and right now it is looking like a bust.

If you look  at the upside of that trade at the time though, If Gilbert could figure out how to be a scoring threat off the bench, it really could have worked.

The thing is Gil can neither create his own offense anymore nor accept or adapt to  a role off the bench

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Agree completely with the second paragraph, but not the first. In giving up Pietrus and Gortat, they gave up depth up front and tenacious D. In order to be able to stay in games when the threes aren't falling, they need both the D and the depth. Both are now gone for an inconsistent increase in offense. Definitely not worth it, especially in match-ups with the Heat and Cs.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:51:10 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1274
I think Gortat is the guy they miss the most. They have no one to defend the opposing bigs whenever DHo is rested or is in foul trouble.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 10:33:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It was shocking to watch how easily the Heat were able to score, and how little Howard was able to limit their offense.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
It was shocking to watch how easily the Heat were able to score, and how little Howard was able to limit their offense.

The team is a shell of its former self. This hurts us because their former selves matched up pretty good with the Heat and would have at least tested them in the playoffs if not eliminating them (which could have happened).

The sad thing is Van Gundy (whom I respect) has lost this team, at least for now. You can see it in the huddle and hear it in his voice. It sounds like he doesn't believe the words he is saying. Too bad he will take the fall for Otis' man-crush on Arenas and Otis' panicking.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah I agree.  The Turk/Richardson deal improved them although losing Gortat hurt a lot.  But moving Lewis on top of them has really crippled their frontcourt depth.  With Bass out they're going to struggle.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The Magic are pretenders even when they made it to the finals I found it hard to consider them a contender. They've got to many holes in that ship for it to get very far. Their defense is almost entirely predicated on funneling players to Dwight for the tough shot or block. Their offense is dish it to Dwight so he can kick it back out for the open 3 if we miss he still has a chance for the rebound/put back. That's why although I find Dwight unbearably annoying I do have respect for him and what he does for that team. After Dwight their isn't one player on that team I'd consider a good defender. After Dwight and Jameer the rest of the team is a bunch of MLE players and fringe starters guys who could easily be replaced. Dwight is a prime example of what a great big man can do for a team.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Magic started the season 16-10, so Otis Smith shook things up.  Magic are 16-10 since the trade.  Time to shake things up again, because nothing has changed.

Who was it on the Atlanta Hawks that said after the trade that the Magic were the same team as before the trade, but with different players?  It was spot on.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson