Author Topic: Deron Williams threatens to leave Utah in 2012 ( Can he play SG?)  (Read 16138 times)

Re: Deron Williams threatens to leave Utah in 2012 ( Can he play SG?)
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Rondo is the starting PG of the second best team (record wise)in the NBA right now. He has won a championship and has successfully been able to keep four future hall of fame players happy with his play making. Deron may be a better individual player, but Rondo has already earned the respect of Shaq and the Big 3, which is no easy feat. Trading him now would be a very reckless move. This current Celtic team is on a mission and we shouldn't even be talking of trades which could disrupt the team's chemistry.
I don't think we can beat the Lakers as presently constructed unless the Lakers have injuries, which is why I would make moves.

The C's took the Lakers to 7 games last year without homecourt, witout Perk for most of game 6 and 7, and much less depth than we have this year.

This team can definitely beat LA this year. I wouldn't tradeany major pieces away this year, we are going to get #18.

I am talking about getting Deron Williams in 2012. He would be much easier to build a team around IMO, because he can be a # 1 scorer and still a great playmaker while Rondo is a # 3 or #4 scorer at best on a championship team

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Rondo is the starting PG of the second best team (record wise)in the NBA right now. He has won a championship and has successfully been able to keep four future hall of fame players happy with his play making. Deron may be a better individual player, but Rondo has already earned the respect of Shaq and the Big 3, which is no easy feat. Trading him now would be a very reckless move. This current Celtic team is on a mission and we shouldn't even be talking of trades which could disrupt the team's chemistry.
I don't think we can beat the Lakers as presently constructed unless the Lakers have injuries, which is why I would make moves.
I don't think its all that clear. Plus even if the underdog the C's would have at least a 33%-45% chance to pull out the series. Especially given that they're likely to have home court advantage on the Lakers.

You take a shot a the title if you have one. I know you love Bynum something fierce, but I don't think he makes the Lakers clear favorites. Not when the C's have large advantages at PG/SF (and SG if they use Kobe on Rondo)

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
i just dont understand it rondo shuts down deron williams to 5 pts and 6 ast and we wanna trade for deron?????? with everything rondo brings us even our own celtics fans would trade rondo for deron... thats just stupid what else rondo has to do to prove u ppl wrong..rondo best pg defender and passer in the nba and we would trade him for some bum with a jump shot gotta be kidding me

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't think its all that clear. Plus even if the underdog the C's would have at least a 33%-45% chance to pull out the series. Especially given that they're likely to have home court advantage on the Lakers.

You take a shot a the title if you have one. I know you love Bynum something fierce, but I don't think he makes the Lakers clear favorites. Not when the C's have large advantages at PG/SF (and SG if they use Kobe on Rondo)

I agree.  I don't understand why one would think that we can't beat the Lakers.  

Last year we would've likely beaten them had Perk not gotten hurt, and that was with Paul worn down and KG not fully recovered from surgery.  And that's not even including additions like Delonte West and Shaquille O'Neal.  

There's no way with Shaq, Perk, JO, a healthy KG, and BBD (not to mention Semih), we're going to get abused on the boards like we did last year.  

Now that's not to say we will beat them.  However, I just don't understand how anyone can think it's impossible given what happened last year and what's happened since then.  

And again, even if someone felt that way, I don't think the above trade is a way to solve that.  Any trade that's chief merit is upgrading the third string center position while trading away arguably the greatest shooter in NBA history is just plain awful.  

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
It's sad to see that Rondo might never get respect for being one of the best PG's in the business. I think that Rondo could score 30PPG if he wanted to but he doesn't have to because he has players like Paul, Ray, KG, Shaq and others who are Hall of Famers.

His defense, steals and passing are not replaceable. He makes passes that other PG's just can't and that alone makes him hard to get rid of. I wouldn't trade Rondo for Williams because I think Rajon is better than Williams right now. Williams is a good PG and one of the best in the NBA but he is a part of a Jazz team who is on a losing streak right now. A Jazz team that has some really good players and I can't help but think that if they did have Rondo then Utah might just have the best record in the NBA.

If I was going to try to get anyone or wanted anyone from that Jazz team it would be Big Al, Hayward. I've seen articles that say that Jefferson doesn't fit with the Jazz offense and just laugh cause a talent like Al and a talent like Deron can't make it "fit"? Yeah I'd rather have Rajon... Rajon can make anyone FIT into any offense.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1258

I guess that's where our opinions differ. I think this year's line up is very much capable of beating the Lakers in a seven game series. Deron Williams is a very good PG, but I personally think that chemistry wise and skills wise, the Celtics as they are now is already a very good team that could win it all. Trading Rondo for DWill may make the team more talented individually, but i don't think that it will make the Celtics a better "team".

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
i just dont understand it rondo shuts down deron williams to 5 pts and 6 ast and we wanna trade for deron?????? with everything rondo brings us even our own celtics fans would trade rondo for deron... thats just stupid what else rondo has to do to prove u ppl wrong..rondo best pg defender and passer in the nba and we would trade him for some bum with a jump shot gotta be kidding me

So because people disagree with you they are stupid? Yea Williams is such a bum, just ask anyone in the league and they will tell you he can't play at all.....

::)

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 12:09:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The biggest difference between CP3/Williams and Rondo now is that they make 3s and hit their free throws.

When it comes to things other than scoring from those two areas Rondo has reached their level.

I agree for the most part (although I think Rondo's passing and assists totals are skewed in his favor because of the cast around him).  But your "biggest difference" is the most important objective of the game - to score points.  So that's quite a huge difference between Rondo and the 2 of them.

As for this talk about D-Will coming to Boston in a S+T... He would want to leave Utah because it's not enough of a winning situation.  And Boston Celtics team with Kendrick Perkins, 35 year old Paul Pierce, possibly 37 year old Ray Allen, and possibly 36 year old KG is going to be a more winning situation that D-Will would want to sign on for 5 years to?  The only way we convince him is if we could get Dwight on board.  Which the only way we could get him is if we sell him on Rondo.  Who we would then be dealing away immediately after...  I think this whole plan is very far fetched.

The refs shut down deron williams to those stats if you watched the game.  I'm a celts fan, but let's call a spade a spade here those of us who watched the game.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1258

The C's took the Lakers to 7 games last year without homecourt, witout Perk for most of game 6 and 7, and much less depth than we have this year.

This team can definitely beat LA this year. I wouldn't tradeany major pieces away this year, we are going to get #18.

I am talking about getting Deron Williams in 2012. He would be much easier to build a team around IMO, because he can be a # 1 scorer and still a great playmaker while Rondo is a # 3 or #4 scorer at best on a championship team

In that case maybe it would be best to see how things pan out this year before making any moves. A young PG with 2 championship rings could easily attract a lot of top tier free agents imho. And we do have Rondo signed up for a bargain so that's another thing to consider. If the team comes up short again this year, then perhaps a DWill for Rondo trade could be considered. The Celtics as a team are focused to winning it all this year. After that, who knows what would happen. Doc might not even come back.

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown

So because people disagree with you they are stupid? Yea Williams is such a bum, just ask anyone in the league and they will tell you he can't play at all.....

i didnt call anyone stupid i said it was stupid to make dat trade.. but if u wana put words in my mouf then yeah ur stupid. and some one tell me one thing that williams does better then rondo besides shoot

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

I think you are alone there. If we are healthy, we are BUILT to beat the Lakers.

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

i didnt call anyone stupid i said it was stupid to make dat trade.. but if u wana put words in my mouf then yeah ur stupid. and some one tell me one thing that williams does better then rondo besides shoot

ok sorry , you called someone's opinion stupid because they disagree with you. Try showing a little respect to the other posters . Try learning how to spell too, you make yourself look silly

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think you are alone there. If we are healthy, we are BUILT to beat the Lakers.

As presently constructed & healthy, no one is beating this Celtics team in a 7 game series. No one.

They got that look this year.  They're locked in.  Injuries are the only thing that would be their undoing.  I say that with the utmost confidence. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown

ok sorry , you called someone's opinion stupid because they disagree with you. Try showing a little respect to the other posters . Try learning how to spell too, you make yourself look silly
**** last time i checked it was a forum im not in grammer class. im sorry for spelling the way i talk... dont judge me.. and im still waiting for some to tell me what williams does better then rondo besides shoot

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

I may very well be alone but KG, Shaq, Pierce and Allen aren't getting any younger and offense is becoming more and more stagnant.  I believe JO is done and won't play again this year.  I think the Lakers additions of Blake and Barnes will have a much greater impact then most people on this site.  And at the end of the day the Lakers will still have the best player and perhaps the second best player on the floor.  

And don't get me wrong, it isn't like I think the Celtics beating the Lakers is impossible, I just don't think they will.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip