Author Topic: Sports Collectibles Thread  (Read 1578 times)

Sports Collectibles Thread
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
2 reasons for starting the thread

1) along the lines of sports jerseys, what collectibles do you prize?

and

2) I have a question about display/preservation:

we had the fortune of getting a team autographed ball (full size) this week and I was wondering if anyone has bought a ball display case before and has any recomendations?

When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Sports Collectibles Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:01:30 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
One thing I love is ticket stubs, so I hate when you print tickets from online and have a piece of paper instead of an actual ticket, cuz saving a piece of paper just ain't the same as having an actual ticket stub.  Some of my favorite ticket stubs are (even though some are paper printed from online):

Boston Celtics @ Dallas Mavericks 12/10/05. I was given 2 front row seats, on the baseline, right by the Celtics bench.  Awesome.

LA Lakers @ Boston.  7/17/08. Game 6

Utah Jazz @ Boston.  11/11/09. First date of me and my girlfriend (and we're still going strong).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
I do have one sports collectible that I truly love.  (Although it's from a current Laker).  Some longtime SLAM magazine readers might recall this, back in issue #90 Ron Artest was on the cover.  This was way back when he was in the middle of his season long suspension for the brawl at the Palace. 

So check the top line of the cover.  It says "Win the Shirt off Ron Ron's back!" SLAM had a contest, write in why you deserve the shirt Ron Artest was rocking on the cover (which he also signed), winner gets the one-of-a-kind autographed shirt.  You were supposed to write 75 words or less.  Once I got my idea, I had so much material it ended up being way more than 75 words.  What I wrote was just a bunch of obscure NBA and SLAM magazine references, like "Because Ricky Davis should of been 6th man of the year, because Dominique Wilkins got robbed in '88" and I just went on and on with  lines like that, then I closed it all with "because I am SLAM magazine."  So I submitted 2 entries, one that was 75 words, and one that had everything I wrote in it (which was probably something like 500 words).  In issue 91SLAM printed my longer entry (well most of it) and said something like "Just like Ron Artest, our man Ben doesn't follow the rules either..."  So ya I won the contest.  Check the pic below:

All SLAM did was send me the shirt, so I had the frame custom built.  It ended up costing like $500, but I'm very happy with how it looks.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
-
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:11:38 PM by cdif911 »
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I do have one sports collectible that I truly love.  (Although it's from a current Laker).  Some longtime SLAM magazine readers might recall this, back in issue #90 Ron Artest was on the cover.  This was way back when he was in the middle of his season long suspension for the brawl at the Palace. 

So check the top line of the cover.  It says "Win the Shirt off Ron Ron's back!" SLAM had a contest, write in why you deserve the shirt Ron Artest was rocking on the cover (which he also signed), winner gets the one-of-a-kind autographed shirt.  You were supposed to write 75 words or less.  Once I got my idea, I had so much material it ended up being way more than 75 words.  What I wrote was just a bunch of obscure NBA and SLAM magazine references, like "Because Ricky Davis should of been 6th man of the year, because Dominique Wilkins got robbed in '88" and I just went on and on with  lines like that, then I closed it all with "because I am SLAM magazine."  So I submitted 2 entries, one that was 75 words, and one that had everything I wrote in it (which was probably something like 500 words).  In issue 91SLAM printed my longer entry (well most of it) and said something like "Just like Ron Artest, our man Ben doesn't follow the rules either..."  So ya I won the contest.  Check the pic below:

All SLAM did was send me the shirt, so I had the frame custom built.  It ended up costing like $500, but I'm very happy with how it looks.

cool story, cool framed collectible (even if i hate artest, lol)