Author Topic: Tom Brady Played With Stress Fracture During Season and Playoffs  (Read 9754 times)

Re: Tom Brady Played With Stress Fracture During Season and Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It seemed to me that Sanchez was better prepared and took advantage to seize the moment better.

Also Sanchez threw no interceptions and Brady's didn't seem to have much to  do with the foot.

Are you kidding me?  Credit the Offensive coordinator, not sanchez.  Yes Sanchez made the throws but most of the plays he made were three step drops where he was staring down the receiver he was throwing it too the whole time.  Schottenheimer took the decisions out of his hands and took advantage of the young DB's on the pats. 
So he was able to do what no other QB was able to do this year? And he couldn't 4 weeks ago? 

I am so tired of this "Weelllll the Pats defense sucks" routine.  Revisionism.  Two Pro Bowlers in the secondary. The best Nose Tackle in the game. Pro Bowler middle linebacker.  Spikes is decent. Ninkovich reminds me of a young Vrabel.  Are they perfect? No. Did they have injuries yes? But they had a bye week and were at home.  If the Pats defense isn't good I don't know who is.  The Jets I guess. Although I didn't think so when the Pats hung 45 points on them 4 weeks ago

Talk about revisionist... The pats D was middle of the pack in points against and running D, and was second to last in pass defense. 
But off the charts in takeaways

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:10:15 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I am so tired of this "Weelllll the Pats defense sucks" routine.

And then I show you that they are second to last in pass d and you have nothing.  there is only room for one universal contrarian in this town and its already taken.

Not sure why my Mike felger picture isnt working
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:16:34 PM by Rondo2287 »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I am so tired of this "Weelllll the Pats defense sucks" routine.

And then I show you that they are second to last in pass d and you have nothing.  there is only room for one universal contrarian in this town and its already taken.

Not sure why my Mike felger picture isnt working
Ok. That's great. They were awesome in takeaways and other than that the defense was horrid all year and they won 14 games in spite of the defense and never even partly because of them. Coulda sworn I remembered some sort of game winning interception against Peyton Manning, but maybe I didn't. Plus I've maintained for a while he's overrated anyway.

So where were all the people saying "I think the Jets will probably win this game. Yeah they have a bye and are at home and killed this team a month ago, but there is just no way we can expect this team to beat the Jets with this defense"

Those people didn't exist. Now it's all "Well the defense is awful."   

Holding a playoff team to 28 points when your offense and special teams are playing like crud is good.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Patriots defense was middle of the road at best this past season, pro-bowlers be darned.

Their opponent 3rd down conversion rate was pathetic and like illustrated before, their pass defense was very suspect.  It was a young defense going through growing pains.  They did make leaps & bounds from Week One to the end of the year but they weren't exactly approaching '85 Bears, either.   It's doesn't take an NFL expert to realize they need to boost their pass rush big-time and the #2 CB position was a weakness.

The defense had their momements and the turnover thing was huge but let's also face reality here and recognize that the best thing that the Patriots defense had going for them was the Patriots offense.  The Pats offense was putting up the points to take some of the pressure off their young defense.  A lot of those calculated drives on offense allowed the defense to rest and many opponents got in panic mode and totally altered their offensive strategy to keep up which played right into the Patriots defense since it made things more predictable for them to figure out. 

They were a middle of the road defense.  You even heard it from many pundits that the biggest weakness of the Patriots heading into the post-season was a young, unproven and somewhat prone defense.  The ironic thing was that it seemed to be more the offense that did in the Pats last Sunday.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The ironic thing was that it seemed to be more the offense that did in the Pats last Sunday.
Right. So why are we talking about the defense and using it as this excuse for Brady and the offense?

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
The ironic thing was that it seemed to be more the offense that did in the Pats last Sunday.
Right. So why are we talking about the defense and using it as this excuse for Brady and the offense?

Who exactly here has been throwing the defense under the bus about Sunday?

The result occurred because the Pats lost all three aspects of the game on Sunday.  You don't win football games when that happens.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 11:17:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The result occurred because the Pats lost all three aspects of the game on Sunday.  You don't win football games when that happens.
This just got said about 7 posts ago

"Are you kidding me?  Credit the Offensive coordinator, not sanchez.  Yes Sanchez made the throws but most of the plays he made were three step drops where he was staring down the receiver he was throwing it too the whole time.  Schottenheimer took the decisions out of his hands and took advantage of the young DB's on the pats.  "

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:22:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

"Are you kidding me?  Credit the Offensive coordinator, not sanchez.  Yes Sanchez made the throws but most of the plays he made were three step drops where he was staring down the receiver he was throwing it too the whole time.  Schottenheimer took the decisions out of his hands and took advantage of the young DB's on the pats.  "

So where exactly does it say there that the Patriots lost because of their defense and not the offense?

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:30:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

So where exactly does it say there that the Patriots lost because of their defense and not the offense?
Then there's been the whole "The defense couldn't sack Sanchez. We need pass rushers" we've been hearing.

So we've got they're 2nd to last in pass defense. They took advantage of young dbs. They couldn't generate a pass rush.....but I guess nobody is implying in any way that the defense lost the game for them.

Well I am saying this.....the offense...in particular Brady and his receivers lost the game for the Pats...and the coaching staff.   Not the defense in any way whatsoever.

Not even the special teams. Yes they had that horrid fake punt, but the also prevented an easy field goal and had good returns.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Of course he doesnt quote his post before that saying that Sanchez was better prepared and stepped up to the moment.  My post was that on 3 step drops to veteran receivers our young DB's werent in position to jump the routes.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Then there's been the whole "The defense couldn't sack Sanchez. We need pass rushers" we've been hearing.

So we've got they're 2nd to last in pass defense. They took advantage of young dbs. They couldn't generate a pass rush.....but I guess nobody is implying in any way that the defense lost the game for them.

Well I am saying this.....the offense...in particular Brady and his receivers lost the game for the Pats...and the coaching staff.   Not the defense in any way whatsoever.

Not even the special teams. Yes they had that horrid fake punt, but the also prevented an easy field goal and had good returns.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're taking things out of context.  I read the "Credit the Offensive coordinator, not sanchez. " post as a response to the posts about how "Sanchez beat Brady", when in fact we all know that QBs don't play against each other. 

The Patriots got beat in all aspects of the game, I don't think there's any debate there.  In prior close games this season, Brady was able to bail them out.  Didn't happen this time.  It sucks as a Pats fan, and I hope for the worst for the Jets, especially given all the trash talk.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're taking things out of context.  I read the "Credit the Offensive coordinator, not sanchez. " post as a response to the posts about how "Sanchez beat Brady", when in fact we all know that QBs don't play against each other. 

The Patriots got beat in all aspects of the game, I don't think there's any debate there.  In prior close games this season, Brady was able to bail them out.  Didn't happen this time.  It sucks as a Pats fan, and I hope for the worst for the Jets, especially given all the trash talk.

Thanks CMan, Also in regards to the pressure on Sanchez issue.  Smerlas explained on WEEI why he was pretty much unblitzable in many of those situations.  With the 3 step drops and being locked on to one receiver there is no way even a blitz would get there in time.  It was a schematic victory for the Jets in that sense, not a defensive personel issue.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1799
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I don't know. I really hate the Jets, but I don't think I could deal with Big Ben winning his 3rd superbowl. Hopefully the NFC can pull this one out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:00:30 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Credit Schittyheimer(intentional misspelling, BTW) for the Jets win?  uh...no.

The QB still has to make the throws and the Receivers still have to make the catches.   What if the Receivers drop the ball?   What if Sanchez throws the ball at the Receivers feet or is off-target like he was the first 3 quarters of the Colts game?   Do you still Credit Schittyheimer?  C'mon, man...

Sanchez didn't dominate anyone and Schitty only did what he could to limit any chances of mistakes and overthrown/underthrown passes that could've been made by Mark.   To his credit, I'd give Mark some props for that improvised throw to Edwards(you know..the one where he pointed where he wanted him to go) but aside from that, it wasn't like he was airing the ball out all over the place like he was Kurt Warner or something.

The Real culprit of the Pats loss was the Jets Defense flooding the middle of the field in the Secondary and rushed only three to make Brady hold the ball longer than he should which resulted in messed-up timing on passes and some coverage sacks.  Brady's mistake was NOT RUNNING.  I know he's not the most athletic QB but he can at least run for some yardage and maybe a First down, right?   Or perhaps that "fractured foot" may have played a part in him not being able to do so?  

But regardless, I was pretty surprised that he didn't decide to at least attempt to gain some positive yards instead of standing there in the pocket like a statue.  

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Credit Schittyheimer(intentional misspelling, BTW) for the Jets win?  uh...no.

The QB still has to make the throws and the Receivers still have to make the catches.   What if the Receivers drop the ball?   What if Sanchez throws the ball at the Receivers feet or is off-target like he was the first 3 quarters of the Colts game?   Do you still Credit Schittyheimer?  C'mon, man...

Sanchez didn't dominate anyone and Schitty only did what he could to limit any chances of mistakes and overthrown/underthrown passes that could've been made by Mark.   To his credit, I'd give Mark some props for that improvised throw to Edwards(you know..the one where he pointed where he wanted him to go) but aside from that, it wasn't like he was airing the ball out all over the place like he was Kurt Warner or something.

The Real culprit of the Pats loss was the Jets Defense flooding the middle of the field in the Secondary and rushed only three to make Brady hold the ball longer than he should which resulted in messed-up timing on passes and some coverage sacks.  Brady's mistake was NOT RUNNING.  I know he's not the most athletic QB but he can at least run for some yardage and maybe a First down, right?   Or perhaps that "fractured foot" may have played a part in him not being able to do so?  

But regardless, I was pretty surprised that he didn't decide to at least attempt to gain some positive yards instead of standing there in the pocket like a statue.  

Of course Sanchez could have been off.  He made the throws, but with a young QB the key is not making him overthink the game and that is what Schoettenheimer did.  So yes, credit him. 

You are correct that Sanchez made accurate short passes and the receivers caught the ball