Author Topic: Time to trade Brady?  (Read 80195 times)

Re: Time to trade Brady?
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2011, 11:16:47 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Is this the worst thread ever created in the history of the internet?
You might be thinking of the "Is it time to cut Brady" thread.

Second worst?

You're thinking of all the bring back Sheed threads

Nah this is worse than those
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I find it amazing some of the same people that love Brady want Sheed back. They are such completely different types of players. One is good for a team the vast majority of the time. Historically good. The other is bad for all but maybe 30 minutes of the finals.

« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I find it amazing some of the same people that love Brady want Sheed back. They are such completely different types of players. One is good for a team the vast majority of the time. Historically good. The other is bad for all but maybe 30 minutes of the finals.

Perk and Ray are completely different types of players but I'm sure many people wanted both of them back.

« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Doesn't really hold up when you look at Sheed.  Dude's got a ring, three trips to the Finals, and something like 9 Conference Finals appearances.  Not Brady-level success, but it's hard to say he hasn't helped his teams win.

Not that I really want Sheed back; after the shape he was in last year and now retirement, I doubt he's seen his toes since August.

« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2011, 09:19:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Perk and Ray are completely different types of players but I'm sure many people wanted both of them back.
Different skills and abilities. Very similar players.  Brady and Sheed. Currently totally opposite kinds of players.

« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup

Different skills and abilities. Very similar players.  Brady and Sheed. Currently totally opposite kinds of players.

Perhaps its time to dust off the Apples and Oranges thread for further debate.  :)

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=22229.0
Yup

« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Perhaps its time to dust off the Apples and Oranges thread for further debate.  :)

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=22229.0
They're both pro athletes. It's more like granny vs macintosh

« Reply #307 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:13 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Hoping that the team you trade Brady to falls completely apart so you have a chance at Luck is a complete crapshoot.

I can't imagine a world where a healthy Brady or Manning QB a team to the worst record in the league.  It wouldnt happen.

I was going to let him come to that conclusion on his own...

Hoping that a qb draft pick that BB likes that's not a top pick turns into a franchise qb is also a crapshoot.

Every qb that get picked highly gets picked in that spot because they might turn out to be a franchise qb. The hit rate is pretty low.

so are these scenarios unpredictable or highly unlikely.....because you called them both "crapshoots"

Some are less likely than others. There's also the possibility that I called them "crapshoots" based on a previous comment of yours.

What's the point of all this? Are we supposed to agree on a definition of crapshoot and then go back 7-8 pages in the discussion and start over?

you said you knew crapshoot to mean unpredictable and were using it that way....but then used it to describe scenarios that you identified as being unlikely to work out in our favor. It just seems inconsistent and doesn't really support your claim that you were using crapshoot to identify scenarios that were unpredictable.

My posts were responses to what you wrote. If you were using it in a certain context then I might have continued with that context for the sake of the argument. Or I might have used "complete crapshoot" to mean "crapshoot at best". I'd have to go back and read more than one comment taken out of an entire discussion. I do recall saying that neither of us had any way of predicting how well a 1st round qb BB took would turn out as he hasn't selected a qb in the 1st round before. I still don't see the point of pursuing this.

just pointing out the discrepancy in your reasoning where you said there was none.

I was arguing that certain things were not "crapshoots". You were arguing that they were. You later claimed that you were using "crapshoot" to mean unpredictable (which is the dictionary definition) but it does not appear to be the case that that is how you were using crapshoot.

just clearing up how this back and forth got off track...

It still got off track because of your confusion about what a crapshoot is.

There are degrees of everything. If something's unlikely it's still much more of a possibility than something that's extremely unlikely or something that you have no reasonable expectation will happen. Likewise a "total crapshoot" or "complete crapshoot" would be riskier than a typical crapshoot, much like "that was lucky" and "that was pure luck" have somewhat different meanings.

So "the team you trade Brady to falls completely apart" is less likely (IMO) than "qb draft pick that BB likes that's not a top pick turns into a franchise qb". But considering Brady's age and possible injuries, I wouldn't say that it was unreasonable to assume it was a possible outcome. The problem was your scenarios bundle together multiple crapshoots and thus become more unlikely than any individual part.

By the way, looking over a few of my old posts I said "close to 50-50", which could be somewhat above 50%, and I said I was giving a rough estimate of an upper limit. So if the odds of something happening isn't too much higher than a number that's fairly close to 50 then it would fit my definition.

um no. you were calling things crapshoots that you also described being predictable in that they were unlikely to happen. you later said you were using crapshoot to mean UNpredictable and not "highly unlikely" because highly unlikely was, as you pointed out, predictable.

once again, you are moving the goal posts around and that was why the discussion came off the tracks.

if anything, a complete crapshoot would be decreasing the level of predictability (ie the outcome becoming less known) not increasing the unlikelihood (ie the outcome becoming more known).

you are all over the map here, Bball.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:20:35 AM by winsomme »

« Reply #308 on: January 21, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
um no. you were calling things crapshoots that you also described being predictable in that they were unlikely to happen. you later said you were using crapshoot to mean UNpredictable and not "highly unlikely" because highly unlikely was, as you pointed out, predictable.

I don't know that I described anything as predictable. And, interestingly enough, if I said I was using crapshoot to mean not "highly unlikely" because highly unlikely was predictable, then "unlikely" still works, because "unlikely" is less predictable than "highly unlikely".

I think I was more likely using "highly unlikely" to be describing the likelihood of something that depended on multiple "crapshoots".

once again, you are moving the goal posts around and that was why the discussion came off the tracks.

Based on your original claims of what a crapshoot is I'd say the goalposts started out in the wrong place. And don't you think that your using the word to mean "no reasonable expectation of happening" had something to do with the conversation going off track?

if anything, a complete crapshoot would be decreasing the level of predictability (ie the outcome becoming less known) not increasing the unlikelihood (ie the outcome becoming more known).

Well, the definition that I put in the post included "anything unpredictable, risky, or problematical". Bigger crapshoot = bigger risk, bigger risk = less likely to go in your favor.

you are all over the map here, Bball.

Possibly. But did I jump all over the map, or was I pushed?

« Reply #309 on: January 21, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be
This thread lost its course and purpose aboue 7 pages ago.

Locked.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team