Author Topic: Aliens (the kind from outer space)  (Read 21259 times)

Re: Aliens (the kind from outer space)
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think there has been life of some type (on a cellular level) on mars. I bet there's even some other complex/intelligent life in the universe, but quite far away; I see no reason to assume that earth has been the only planet to foster complex life. However, I see no reason to think any intelligent life from other planets has ever contacted or landed on earth. If such a thing did happen, I think the evidence would be overwhelmingly obvious.
The main problem is that other life forms are likely so far away that it would take ridiculous amounts of time to contact us, especially since they would likely no know where to look and what technology to use -- even without addressing the speed of light limitation.

If any alien life has come to earth, it would only be tissue in  space debris due to asteroids impacting planets with life and sending matter into space.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think we are all aliens.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
I think there has been life of some type (on a cellular level) on mars. I bet there's even some other complex/intelligent life in the universe, but quite far away; I see no reason to assume that earth has been the only planet to foster complex life. However, I see no reason to think any intelligent life from other planets has ever contacted or landed on earth. If such a thing did happen, I think the evidence would be overwhelmingly obvious.
The main problem is that other life forms are likely so far away that it would take ridiculous amounts of time to contact us, especially since they would likely no know where to look and what technology to use -- even without addressing the speed of light limitation.

If any alien life has come to earth, it would only be tissue in  space debris due to asteroids impacting planets with life and sending matter into space.

I agree, which is why i think non-earth life having visited earth is highly, highly unlikely. the nearest systems that could possibly harbor life are very very far away; more likely, inhabited planets are even further away, and inhabited planets with the raw materials needed for certain technological advances could be even further. Coupled with the time it takes for planets to cool and assemble, plus the time for spontaneous life generation, plus evolution to intelligence, plus the time for technological development, plus the time to actually cohesively develop interplanetary travel technology and strategy, plus the time to actually travel in space and, in so doing, not leave any obvious mark on your first try...really unlikely.

Edit-
And to be clear, you would need some sort of highly theoretical particle disassembly-beam-reassembly type of technology to even be able to travel at the speed of light (a speed at which celestial travel is still incredibly time consuming); apparently real objects can only travel 1% the speed of light maximally.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:44:46 PM by Fan from VT »

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
well I guess that solves it and clears up the mystery entirely.....

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
I guess everyone of those highly credible people and servicemen from the Disclosure Project were either lying or mistaken and because your current understanding of the law of physics makes everything else "highly highly unlikely"? 

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Quote from the movie Contact (good movie, btw)

The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?

My Logic agrees with the above statement.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3782
  • Yup
Hadn't logged on in a few hours. Glad to see the topic got going!
Yup

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 06:01:59 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

Yeah but thats using our current understanding of physics and technology. We keep finding out more and more about physics and our current theories are most likely wrong, they'll be changed over time.

I would guess that a very very high percentage of the most intelligent physicists in the world would bet that it is very possible to travel extremely close to the speed of light and even to time travel. Space-time is not linear and many believe that we can bend space-time to cover extremely large distances in much shorter time. If you imagine a piece of paper as space-time, instead of having to travel the whole diagonal of the paper, you can take the two opposite corners and bring them together making that original distance much much smaller. Obviously this is extremely simplified, but many physicists believe this manipulation of space-time is very possible. Not to mention the possibility of using wormholes/blackholes, which we know little about, but could theoretically be used to cover huge distances.

If there are intelligent life forms that are millions of years ahead of us, which I would bet there are, considering how young humans are compared to the age of the universe, they could very well have a higher understanding of physics and our universe and be able to travel distances that are impossible using our current theories.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Yeah but thats using our current understanding of physics and technology. We keep finding out more and more about physics and our current theories are most likely wrong, they'll be changed over time.

I would guess that a very very high percentage of the most intelligent physicists in the world would bet that it is very possible to travel extremely close to the speed of light and even to time travel. Space-time is not linear and many believe that we can bend space-time to cover extremely large distances in much shorter time. If you imagine a piece of paper as space-time, instead of having to travel the whole diagonal of the paper, you can take the two opposite corners and bring them together making that original distance much much smaller. Obviously this is extremely simplified, but many physicists believe this manipulation of space-time is very possible. Not to mention the possibility of using wormholes/blackholes, which we know little about, but could theoretically be used to cover huge distances.

If there are intelligent life forms that are millions of years ahead of us, which I would bet there are, considering how young humans are compared to the age of the universe, they could very well have a higher understanding of physics and our universe and be able to travel distances that are impossible using our current theories.
We can speculate on many things, but it is hard to take seriously the idea of objects the size of a human travelling near the speed of light.

Having a million extra years won't change the underlying physics. Regardless of references to folding paper like in the movie Event Horizon.

Without any good reason to think that anyone can travel that fast, there really isn't anything to debate on that front.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 06:22:43 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
If they ever visit Earth, will they be classified as "illegal aliens"? :D
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The tags at the bottom...lol.

Placing Sam Casell there is just wrong ;D.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25587
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We can speculate on many things, but it is hard to take seriously the idea of objects the size of a human travelling near the speed of light.

Having a million extra years won't change the underlying physics. Regardless of references to folding paper like in the movie Event Horizon.

Without any good reason to think that anyone can travel that fast, there really isn't anything to debate on that front.

Here's how I look at it:

It's hard to take seriously (from my perspective) the thought that everything in the entire universe started from condensed matter roughly the size of a pinhead.

It's hard to take seriously the thought that life spontaneously went from not alive to alive.

It's hard to take seriously that single celled organisms eventually mutated enough times, in a perfect way, to form complex creatures like humans, with their own interior organ systems that work perfectly in conjunction.  It's hard to take seriously that male and female forms of these creatures mutated at the same pace, to allow reproduction.

And yet, mainstream science tells us that all of those things happened, and many people accept them, despite those concepts being foreign 200 years ago.  What's to say that our own views of physics won't change drastically in the future?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I think somewhere, a billion light years away, there are some sort of life sitting on a machine that's equivalent to a computer, having the same discussion we are in an internet forum.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26

Here's how I look at it:

It's hard to take seriously (from my perspective) the thought that everything in the entire universe started from condensed matter roughly the size of a pinhead.

It's hard to take seriously the thought that life spontaneously went from not alive to alive.

It's hard to take seriously that single celled organisms eventually mutated enough times, in a perfect way, to form complex creatures like humans, with their own interior organ systems that work perfectly in conjunction.  It's hard to take seriously that male and female forms of these creatures mutated at the same pace, to allow reproduction.

And yet, mainstream science tells us that all of those things happened, and many people accept them, despite those concepts being foreign 200 years ago.  What's to say that our own views of physics won't change drastically in the future?

PREACH!

Seriously though, there's a lot of things we dont know about our own world, let alone outer space. However, if someone like Stephen Hawking says there's a good chance that there's other life out there, and possibly have already contacted our earth, then I'm going to lean on the side of science. These guys know more than I'll ever know in my entire life.

Also, if there was no such thing, then what about all these sightings? Was it President Carter that saw a UFO? What about Area 51 and other secret bases? How come things have been reported all over the globe with the same descriptions?

There's so many questions unanswered, I dont think it's far-fetched to think that there's nothing out there that has the ability to reach us. Humans are what, 200 thousand years old? The universe, according to most, is at least 12 BILLION years old.

Granted, we still dont know how it started, and probably wont have any idea until a few thousands years in the future.

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

There's plenty to debate.