Author Topic: Melo and the integrity of free agency  (Read 7456 times)

Melo and the integrity of free agency
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There is an interesting potential problem with the Melo situation, though we may never know if it occurred.

The best case for Melo if he wants to win in NYC is to play out this season and then go to NYC as a free agent. In this case, NYC doesn't have to give up much, if anything, to sign him. This gives them more players to put around him or to trade for other pieces.

If the Knicks were to trade to get Melo this season, they would be sacrificing talent for a done deal. The only justification would be their fear that he could possibly sign elsewhere when free agency actually comes around.

To avoid any insecurity on the part of the Knicks and to encourage them to hold on to their talent, it could be tempting to a player like Melo to use leaks to the press from unofficial sources to get word back to the Knicks that he will go there in the offseason so don't panic.

I am not saying that this was done by Melo or intended by Melo, but it is a possibility that would be hard to combat. It is also a practice that should not be tolerated if there were evidence of such a practice unless we are comfortable doing away with all tampering rules.

I mention this because I am firmly behind the right of any player to go to whatever team they want to as a free agent. I also feel that players should be allowed to talk to other players about future moves just as teams are allowed to talk to other teams about moves.

But just as teams are not allowed to put out feelers to players under contract with another team, players should not be allowed to send similar signals to other teams while under contract. I consider intention to be significant here, so I would not include the Chauncey leak about his lack of willingness to play in NJ in the same boat. But, hypothetically speaking, if Melo or his agent were to have had someone leak that he was only going to NY and that is indeed his intention, then that is a problem.

As things stand, we have a situation where everyone knows that NY is the only hope if Denver wants to make a trade. This in itself is not a problem so long as neither Melo nor NY orchestrated the release of information. Even if Melo did orchestrate it all, I'm not sure we could ever get evidence sufficient for a penalty (I would expect the penalty to be fining the player, barring the player from signing with the preferred team, but no other penalty to the team).

Is it possible to prevent players from flouting tampering rules?

Re: Melo and the integrity of free agency
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The integrity of NBA free agency is second only to the integrity of NBA officiating.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
As things stand, we have a situation where everyone knows that NY is the only hope if Denver wants to make a trade. This in itself is not a problem so long as neither Melo nor NY orchestrated the release of information. Even if Melo did orchestrate it all, I'm not sure we could ever get evidence sufficient for a penalty (I would expect the penalty to be fining the player, barring the player from signing with the preferred team, but no other penalty to the team).

If Anthony's desire was to go to a smaller market team, I think there would be some kind of Stern intervention.  He wants to go to New York.  If anything, Stern would help facilitate such a move behind the scenes.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

If Anthony's desire was to go to a smaller market team, I think there would be some kind of Stern intervention.  He wants to go to New York.  If anything, Stern would help facilitate such a move behind the scenes.

Like he facilitated Lebron going to NY?

If all Melo says is he will not sign an extension unless it is with NY, at least he is being honest and using his leverage the way he is allowed to.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah I see nothing wron with Melo saying I dont want to sign a contract in NJ, or I want to play in New York, or I want to stay in Denver... Wherever he wants to go, he wants to go, its his decision and I feel like he has ever right to express that.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeah I see nothing wron with Melo saying I dont want to sign a contract in NJ, or I want to play in New York, or I want to stay in Denver... Wherever he wants to go, he wants to go, its his decision and I feel like he has ever right to express that.

I think you're missing the point of the OP here.

In the OP's scenario (and actually what is happening) here is a possible series of events:

March 2011:By anon source to ESPN: Carmelo Anthony would sign in NY for less than the max contract as long as NY has room for another top tier player

March 2011-By anon source to ESPN: The Knicks are exploring trades to create the cap room Carmelo is demanding be available for another top tier player. They only hope Carmelo will block any and all trades by the Nuggets by refusing to sign any contract extension.

April 2011-By anon source to ESPN: Carmelo would ideally like to play with Chris Paul in New York, along with Amar'e Stoudemire.

May 2011-By Anon source to ESPN: Chris Paul would love to go to New York after his contract expires in 2012. He's told sources close to him he won't sign any extension, and would sign for less than the maximum as long as NY came close, and also had Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e.

May 2011-By anon source: Carmelo would also sign at less than the maximum if it meant getting Chris Paul to NY.

June 2011-By anon source: New York anticipates having the cap room needed to sign both Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul in the next two years, so it has told GM Donnie Walsh that all contract extensions beyond the summer of 2012 should be put on hold.

July 2011- Carmelo Anthony signs in New York for less than the maximum, stating 'I'm saving a little bit for my man Chris Paul!'

That is tampering, plain and simple.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
This Carmelo Anthony soap opera is making LeBron's "Decision" look less and less like a fiasco.

All Anthony has to do is call a press conference and say definitively whether he would or would not sign an extension with the Nets if he is traded to New Jersey. Then it gets on the record, and this rumored trade can get done or go away.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This Carmelo Anthony soap opera is making LeBron's "Decision" look less and less like a fiasco.

All Anthony has to do is call a press conference and say definitively whether he would or would not sign an extension with the Nets if he is traded to New Jersey. Then it gets on the record, and this rumored trade can get done or go away.

Actually, I think all that really needs to be done is that Denver has to figure out the deal they will or won't do with NY. Get Gallinari and Wilson Chandler for Eddie Curry's expiring contract and be done with it.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Actually, I think all that really needs to be done is that Denver has to figure out the deal they will or won't do with NY. Get Gallinari and Wilson Chandler for Eddie Curry's expiring contract and be done with it.

Sure. But Denver won't consider New York until they know for sure that the trade with Jersey is dead.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:52:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

In the OP's scenario (and actually what is happening) here is a possible series of events:

March 2011:By anon source to ESPN: Carmelo Anthony would sign in NY for less than the max contract as long as NY has room for another top tier player

March 2011-By anon source to ESPN: The Knicks are exploring trades to create the cap room Carmelo is demanding be available for another top tier player. They only hope Carmelo will block any and all trades by the Nuggets by refusing to sign any contract extension.

April 2011-By anon source to ESPN: Carmelo would ideally like to play with Chris Paul in New York, along with Amar'e Stoudemire.

May 2011-By Anon source to ESPN: Chris Paul would love to go to New York after his contract expires in 2012. He's told sources close to him he won't sign any extension, and would sign for less than the maximum as long as NY came close, and also had Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e.

May 2011-By anon source: Carmelo would also sign at less than the maximum if it meant getting Chris Paul to NY.

June 2011-By anon source: New York anticipates having the cap room needed to sign both Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul in the next two years, so it has told GM Donnie Walsh that all contract extensions beyond the summer of 2012 should be put on hold.

July 2011- Carmelo Anthony signs in New York for less than the maximum, stating 'I'm saving a little bit for my man Chris Paul!'

How exactly is that tampering if New York is not ever the anon source?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

How exactly is that tampering if New York is not ever the anon source?

That's tampering, and anytime that Carmelo or Amar'e or CP3 inform each other of their plans, with the hopes that the other guys will amend their plans so they all get together, that's tampering too.

As long as their members of a team, they're considered a 'part' of that team.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Players are not considered part of team for that purpose.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

That's not correct.

From last season, when Wade was investigated for tampering:

Quote from: CBS Sports
Under league rules, players cannot tamper with other players, though it's a given that players talking amongst themselves not only happens, but is impossible to regulate.

The NBA only metes out discipline in what it said are "the most egregious" cases, and said Wade's comments "do not meet that standard."

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

That's not correct.

From last season, when Wade was investigated for tampering:

Quote from: CBS Sports
Under league rules, players cannot tamper with other players, though it's a given that players talking amongst themselves not only happens, but is impossible to regulate.

The NBA only metes out discipline in what it said are "the most egregious" cases, and said Wade's comments "do not meet that standard."

As is usually the case, Stern would make an example out of third tier player, a big name player at the tail end of their career,  or a small market team management person before he'd mess with a superstar.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601

Isn’t this all just more complicated than it needs to be?

Couldn’t Carmelo just say and do nothing, sign no extension with any team, and still sign with New York in the summer?  Why would he need to leak anonymous sources?

Also couldn’t Carmelo just tell New York while they’re making their pitch to sign him that in order for him to sign he wants a commitment from them to keep Amare but also make a run at another free agent next summer too? 

I guess I’m not really sure where all the tampering and anonymous source leaks needs to come in. 

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class