Author Topic: Spurs (29-4) at Celtics (26-7) 1/5  (Read 72971 times)

Re: Spurs (29-4) at Celtics (26-7) 1/5
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11860
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Refs are Bill Kennedy, Brent Barnaky, and  John Goble

Not sure what the officiating assignments say for this game but Bill Kennedy is calling his 4th game already this season for the Celtics.   If you remember,  Bill Kennedy is the referee who taunted Doc into getting a technical a couple of years back. Kennedy was fined for his actions after that incident.   According to Tim Donaghy, Kennedy is gay and Doc questioned his sexuality in a game at one point and Kennedy has been out to get him ever since.  The Celtics have won 2 of the 3 games he has officiated so far but of the 3,  the Celtics had a free throw deficit.   Kennedy and 2 relatively new refs is an interesting crew for a big game like this one.   

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
great..bill kennedy...anyway..anything less that a great effort tonight will result in a blow out..

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Kevin Garnett is no PF, end of story.  I don't care what he wants to call himself.  When you're 7' (listed 6"11', again liar), your style of play is that of a C, and you play next to guys who are 4 inches shorter than you, you are a C.

My only guess would be Kevin wanted to be known as a PF because he wouldn't have made nearly as many All-Star teams as a starter if he was a C, Shaq would have still started and rightfully so.  If Kevin had been considered a C for the majority of his career, he isn't even top 5 all time as far as C's go.  As a PF he is, and it's a load of bull dung.

Here, fixed that for you.

Cute! I see what you did there, and and will say I got a good laugh. Thanks.

The problem is, you're dead wrong.  Nothing about KG's style of play says C, although I will give you that KG lies about his listed height as well.  Duncan's style of play is EXACTLY that of a C.
I almost deleted that part about the style of play, because it's debatable, but then it wouldn't have been fair to remove the point of contention, would it? :)

Garnett and Duncan can guard both of the position, can post up or shoot the mid-range jumper. I know that historically Garnett has drifted towards the perimeter, and frowned at guarding centers, but I view the two of them as pretty much the same player where their potential contribution is concerned. Maybe I am wrong. But I wouldn't be throwing stones if I lived in a glass house, either way :)

In any case, at least we seem to agree that labeling someone based on their size is a bit of an overreaction.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Refs are Bill Kennedy, Brent Barnaky, and  John Goble

Not sure what the officiating assignments say for this game but Bill Kennedy is calling his 4th game already this season for the Celtics.   If you remember,  Bill Kennedy is the referee who taunted Doc into getting a technical a couple of years back. Kennedy was fined for his actions after that incident.   According to Tim Donaghy, Kennedy is gay and Doc questioned his sexuality in a game at one point and Kennedy has been out to get him ever since. 

wow
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
Kevin Garnett is no PF, end of story.  I don't care what he wants to call himself.  When you're 7' (listed 6"11', again liar), your style of play is that of a C, and you play next to guys who are 4 inches shorter than you, you are a C.

My only guess would be Kevin wanted to be known as a PF because he wouldn't have made nearly as many All-Star teams as a starter if he was a C, Shaq would have still started and rightfully so.  If Kevin had been considered a C for the majority of his career, he isn't even top 5 all time as far as C's go.  As a PF he is, and it's a load of bull dung.

Dirk is 7 feet so he's a center now? How big you are does not determine your position. Rather it is the skill set that you bring to the table. Nate is 5'9, so according to your logic he should be a PG, but he is a true SG at heart. Gotta look at the player's skillz...
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Dirk is 7 feet so he's a center now? How big you are does not determine your position. Rather it is the skill set that you bring to the table. Nate is 5'9, so according to your logic he should be a PG, but he is a true SG at heart. Gotta look at the player's skillz...

I am 5`8`` I must be a coffe table
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 05:28:42 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Got some beers in a ice chest, shrimp cocktail being prepared wooooohoooo

LETS GO C'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!! this game is not pointless like some say we can win this 1
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
One plus is that Kennedy doesn't like the Spurs much either (both teams are just 5-5 in the last 10 with any/all of these refs) the Spurs lost all three he ref'd last season:

05/07/10 PHO L 96-110  L -7 U 206.5 -21.0 
04/18/10 @DAL L 94-100  L 4 P 194.0 -2.0 
02/04/10 @POR L 93-96  L -2 U 194.0 -5.0 

This season, the Spurs are 3-0 and the C's 4-1 with any of these refs (Spurs' 1st game with Kennedy).

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 05:43:53 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Going to be a tough one without KG but we can definitely win it, gotta take advantage of the fact they are playing on a back to back (although they got some rest in their blowout last night).

The player I fear the most is Ginobili, he is a killer, especially against us, it seems.

Our 2nd unit should give us an important edge. Should be an exciting game anyway!

TP FL and go Celtics!

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 07:32:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great matchup, but without KG and with Rondo probably not all the way back yet it's gonna be tough to win.

We need to pound the ball in to Shaq early and let Paul and Ray take over in the second half.  And hopefully Rondo is well enough to stay in front of Parker.  Should be a good one.

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
For anyone who actually believes Tim Duncan is a PF and not a C, I ask you this.  Just forget for a second what his "listed" position is, and just watch him play.  Watch his style of play, who guards him and who he guards, then ask yourself what you think he is.  C or PF?

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Give the ball to Rondo and let him do his thing

The Spurs defense isn't going to be able to stop his playmaking off dribble penetration.

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Hopefully, DeJuan Blair won't out-rebound Big Baby by 8-12 boards tonight.

Going to need a much better effort from Davis in keeping his man off the glass than he did in the last game against Love.

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:58 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Ray had his Wheaties this morning

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
San Antonio's help defense on the interior has been horrible.