Author Topic: For those who like Laker disharmony  (Read 7737 times)

Re: For those who like Laker disharmany
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 355
everyone keeps bringing up how old the c's are, but if you take a second to look at the mins played kobe has played even more mins than KG because of all the playoff series he has been in

Bone on bone is a very bad thing and is what has stopped Brandon Roy from being a all-star. I give the Lakers these next 2 years as a contender and then Kobe won't be able to compete at a championship level as a starter.

The main reason people talk about it more in terms of the Celtics is that 3 of their top 4 players are all are 33, 34 and 35 yrs old.  Three of the top 4 Lakers are 30, 31 and 32.  That's a 3-year difference.  Granted, Ray Allen is a freak of nature, but I think that's why the Celtics get more of that "older team" talk.  Not to mention the veterans like Shaq and JO.

But if you're saying the Lakers are only going to be a contender for the next 2 years, I say...and???  That doesn't really help the Celtics much.  Without some clever changes in the next couple years, the Celtics are in the same boat.

yea but the C's also have a TON of cap space coming in 2012 , even if we do resign Perk or BBD, we will likely have enough to offer a max contract. We also have a top 3 PG to rebuild around after 2012.

What exactly do the Lakers have to build around in 2 years? an aging PF ( Gasol will be about 33) and a gimpy Bynum . They will be well over the salary cap until at least 2014

I would say the c's will be a contender again before LA does after the 2012 season

I may being missing some guys, but just from a quick scan, the only unrestriced free agents in 2012 are Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Deron Williams.  Two of those guys play the same position as Rondo, so we would be banking on landing Howard, an EC rival for a number of years.  And it's possible he could just sign an extension with the Magic beforehand.  Granted, I'm sure the possibility of playing with Rondo in his prime has to be enticing, but after him, the team won't have much left.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
everyone keeps bringing up how old the c's are, but if you take a second to look at the mins played kobe has played even more mins than KG because of all the playoff series he has been in

Bone on bone is a very bad thing and is what has stopped Brandon Roy from being a all-star. I give the Lakers these next 2 years as a contender and then Kobe won't be able to compete at a championship level as a starter.

The main reason people talk about it more in terms of the Celtics is that 3 of their top 4 players are all are 33, 34 and 35 yrs old.  Three of the top 4 Lakers are 30, 31 and 32.  That's a 3-year difference.  Granted, Ray Allen is a freak of nature, but I think that's why the Celtics get more of that "older team" talk.  Not to mention the veterans like Shaq and JO.

But if you're saying the Lakers are only going to be a contender for the next 2 years, I say...and???  That doesn't really help the Celtics much.  Without some clever changes in the next couple years, the Celtics are in the same boat.

yea but the C's also have a TON of cap space coming in 2012 , even if we do resign Perk or BBD, we will likely have enough to offer a max contract. We also have a top 3 PG to rebuild around after 2012.

What exactly do the Lakers have to build around in 2 years? an aging PF ( Gasol will be about 33) and a gimpy Bynum . They will be well over the salary cap until at least 2014

I would say the c's will be a contender again before LA does after the 2012 season

Dont count out another team bailing the Lakers out and handing them a superstar (Melo).

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I may being missing some guys, but just from a quick scan, the only unrestriced free agents in 2012 are Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Deron Williams.  Two of those guys play the same position as Rondo, so we would be banking on landing Howard, an EC rival for a number of years.  And it's possible he could just sign an extension with the Magic beforehand.  Granted, I'm sure the possibility of playing with Rondo in his prime has to be enticing, but after him, the team won't have much left.
If Rondo and Dwight were on the same team you can plug in replacement level NBA wings/shooters and have a top team.

I don't know if it will happen, but its worth shooting for. Besides cap room also would allow the C's to be active in the trade market to acquire more talent and/or picks.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 12:23:16 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Yeah Rondo & Dwight on the same team, along with a good coach, could be a very superb defensive & rebounding team.  I'd definitely like to watch that type of team, and think they'd have some quality free agents lining up at the door to play alongside.

In the '12/'13 and '13/'14 seasons Kobe is due to make, respectively, $27.8 and $30.5.  Talk about a cap killer!  I hope that causes them to into a tailspin of mediocrity  ;D

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Yeah Rondo & Dwight on the same team, along with a good coach, could be a very superb defensive & rebounding team.  I'd definitely like to watch that type of team, and think they'd have some quality free agents lining up at the door to play alongside.

In the '12/'13 and '13/'14 seasons Kobe is due to make, respectively, $27.8 and $30.5.  Talk about a cap killer!  I hope that causes them to into a tailspin of mediocrity  ;D

Especially when his knee seems to be disinigrating this season.

But yeah, Rondo and Dwight equals amazing and yes, players are lining up to play on that team.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I have a feeling that this "bone on bone" thing has been an issue for Kobe for many years, which is why I'm not extremely concerned. I've seen some dunks off of alley-oops, and just dunks in general from him in these past few weeks that lead me to believe that this isn't as bad as it sounds. His contract is puzzling, but it's pretty obvious that the Lakers had to do it, as I think most other teams would pay almost anything to have him, as well as the fact that he is the face of the Lakers and sells out arenas.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I am not sure his price is what used to be
and if other teams are ready to pay whay he could ask
and yes hes not going anywhere hes staying for sure on LA
just because the marketing thing.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: For those who like Laker disharmony
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 06:40:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Laker Disharmony is a euphamism for paradise.

I'd love to see the Lakers infighting and suffering embarrassing losses throughout the regular season but get to the Finals again to suffer a crushing defeat at the hands of the C's. 

Then I'd like to see it happen all over again next year to see the C's beat the Lakers for 3 titles in 5 years. 

ah, it's good to have a dream  8)

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 06:41:38 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Love Laker disharmony.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
The Lakers being mediocre for twenty years would be sweet.

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
I'll believe Kobe is disintegrating when I see him losing in May.  Till that time, I lay in worry that the inglorious herd from the west will once again claim that which rightfully belongs here.

I love Laker disharmony, but I sadly remain dubious, yet hopeful, of its deleterious effects.  

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
I am much more confident that they will be primed come playoff time than the trainwreck in Miami.

Honeymoon should be over in Miami by March.

That is some trainwreck.  ::)

Maybe they will fail in the playoffs, we will have to see, but they are going to continue to do great in the regular season.

I agree, Miami scares me much more than any other team in the NBA. I'm not worried at all about San Antonio, Orlando, Dallas, or Chicago. Less worried about LAL than Miami. I still like our chances, but they'll be tough to knock out.

Good point. The celtics have beaten the heat twice, but both times were early in the season...possibly... Before their team had time to gel.

In future games I expect the heat to be much, much harder to beat. To me, the key will not be talent differences, but coaching. If doc is able to exploit their limitations (two stars with similar talents) and bring out the obvious Celtic advantage at center and power forward, then the celtics will win.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I'm not worried about Miami in the playoffs.  It's the refs of those games that worry me big time.

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Edit.  Let's not go there.  wdleehi
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:25:47 PM by wdleehi »
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Can I wish that Tony Allen gets traded to the Lakers and plays lots of poker with Kobe and the gang?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference