Author Topic: Lets talk 2010 NFL MVP...  (Read 7171 times)

Lets talk 2010 NFL MVP...
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Being a biased observer, I seem to think the obvious pick for MVP this season is Brady. However, many in the media keep talking about Vick being a threat to him. I'm sorry, I just don't see. Yes, he has had a great year, and has accounted for a lot of touchdowns and is a huge part of the Eagles success, which is why he should be in second. But he hasn't had the year Brady has had... Someone prove me wrong. Where do people come off saying Vick should be MVP?
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

Re: Lets talk 2010 NFL MVP...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:39:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Vick's had a heckuva year even from the statistical standpoint.  You have to remember that Kolb was the starter to begin the season.  Vick's numbers are not through 16 games.  I don't know off the top of my head but he's only played in what? 11? 12 games.  His numbers are pretty legit.  20-5 TD-INT ratio is nothing sneeze at as well as his 11 rushing TDs

Brady has been as locked in as I've ever seen him.  '07 included.  His numbers might not be as gaudy as '07 but, right now, he is playing the quarterback position as well as anyone who has ever played the game. I could really care less about the INT-free streak but the 31-4 TD/INT ratio and nearly 67% completion rate is incredible. 

I think Brady has been better but I can certainly see why people would vote for Vick. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:40:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Brady will win in a landslide.

Still, Vick has averaged more yards of total offense per game (306.2) than Brady (255.6), is averaging almost as many passing yards per game as Brady (250.5 vs. 254.4) and is averaging more passing yards per attempt (8.4 vs. 7.9).  Coming into this week's games, Vick had 28 total TDs to Brady's 32, despite playing in 2.5 fewer games.  (Also, keep in mind that some of the "per game" stats are slanted against Vick, because he missed a couple of halfs during the season, once due to being the backup QB and relieving Kolb, and once due to injury).

So, it's been very, very close.  I can see why somebody would argue for Vick, due to him arguably having the better overall statistics (when rushing is taken into account) and because Philly was seen as being in a rebuilding year, and is now looking like a contender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:47:33 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Brady.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:49:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't think its going to be a landslide.  I think it'll be relatively close. 

You'll have some AP guys that will flatout refuse to vote for Vick based on his past but I also think you'll have some sentimental voters who will savor the "rebirth" angle. 

The stats are indicative of them both deserving and that should make things difficult for the more levelheaded voters.  I do wonder how much supporting cast will play a factor, though. 

I think Brady will ultimately take it but I don't think it'll be a landslide vote by any means. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't think its going to be a landslide.  I think it'll be relatively close. 

You'll have some AP guys that will flatout refuse to vote for Vick based on his past but I also think you'll have some sentimental voters who will savor the "rebirth" angle. 

The stats are indicative of them both deserving and that should make things difficult for the more levelheaded voters.  I do wonder how much supporting cast will play a factor, though. 

I think Brady will ultimately take it but I don't think it'll be a landslide vote by any means. 

My thinking is that Brady will win all the votes of those voters (who are numerous) who think MVP means "best player on the best team".  When you couple those votes with the anti-Vick contingent, I think that Brady is going to cruise.

Both guys are deserving.  If ever there was a year for Co-MVPs, it's this one.  However, I don't think the final vote will reflect how close the numbers and on-field performances are.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think if Vick played in all of his games, the discussion should be much closer. But given the fact that Vick was hurt/not starting for a quarter of the season should put a damper on his MVP argument, IMO. Brady has played in all relevant snaps this season, and played very efficiently. His team also has the best record while owning one of the worst defenses (statisically). He leads the league in passer rating, touchdown passes, AND has the fewest interceptions. I can understand the argument that Vick should be second, but in no way can I see him as actually being the MVP this year, not even a co-MVP. It may not end up being a landslide, but in my very biased opinion, it probably should be.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:39:58 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I dunno if you can win a MVP just by playing 11 of 12 games in the season vs someone who played every game AND was the clear starter.

Vick's stats are nothing short of impressive, but it's not his year as far as MVP.

Brady, it is.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 08:07:59 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Still, Vick has averaged more yards of total offense per game (306.2) than Brady (255.6), is averaging almost as many passing yards per game as Brady (250.5 vs. 254.4) and is averaging more passing yards per attempt (8.4 vs. 7.9).  Coming into this week's games, Vick had 28 total TDs to Brady's 32, despite playing in 2.5 fewer games.  (Also, keep in mind that some of the "per game" stats are slanted against Vick, because he missed a couple of halfs during the season, once due to being the backup QB and relieving Kolb, and once due to injury).

So, it's been very, very close.  I can see why somebody would argue for Vick, due to him arguably having the better overall statistics (when rushing is taken into account) and because Philly was seen as being in a rebuilding year, and is now looking like a contender.

All valid points.  The only things I have to add here are.  Going into the season everybody thought that the patriots would not win the division, and thought this was going to be a rebuilding year.  They ended up winning their divsion, have the best record in the league, and have a quarterback with not only the most pass td's but also the fewest picks in the league.  This offense had to be great this year because the defense is not up to snuff.  This offense could not turn the ball over and give the opposition a short field because the defense couldnt handle it.  This offense had to re-invent itself on the fly with Randy Moss taken out of the mix.  They did, and it all started with number 12.

Vick has been great.  I have enjoyed him on my fantasy team for a good portion of the year.  His stats through the roof. And I have been rooting for him the whole year as a reclamation story.   But he missed 3.5 games this year.  I personally think you can't be most valuable player if you miss that much time. 

Obviously I am looking through patriots colored glasses here, but the missed games is not something I would overlook.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Brady,
but as a Pats fan:
(1) I am biased, and
(2) I have bigger hopes for Brady this year than MVP of the regular season... 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 08:57:38 AM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Vick is the sexy pick, but look at Brady--

34 pass TD, 1 rush TD =35 TD through 15 games
4 INT, 2 FUM, the lowest in either category for his career playing in a full season (does not count his injury year/rookie year)

66% pass completion, 2nd only 2007
109.9 pass rating, 2nd only to 2007

Best QB on best team with one of the worst defenses...
Has opened the offense so much, we should have the first 1000 yd rusher since Corey Dillon.

And a hypothetical--if Vick goes down, does Kolb get the Eagles in the playoffs?
If Brady goes down, does Hoyer get the Pats in the playoffs?
My bet is Eagles could survive without Vick, but the Pats would be screwed without Brady, making him the hands down most valuable player.

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Vick really has been incredible this year. When Kolb, who by most accounts is at least an average Jason Campbell-type QB is on the field, the Eagles look like a .500 team. When Vick is on the field, they look like a Super Bowl contender.

Having said that, Brady's mistake-free football gives him the vote I think. 4 INT in 15 games with the amount of times he throws is MVP-worthy. Granted, he's been a little lucky with no INTs in the last few games but luck is part of all of sports.

By the way, somebody who probably won't get much buzz but should is Peyton Manning. His entire offense has been decimated or playing hobbled. And outside of an ugly game or two, Manning's still been great.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
First time I have heard that Manning should get consideration but isnt.  Please see the flowchart below.

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 09:40:23 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
First, I'm laughing at the Manning flowchart above!

With the Pats having the best record and Brady having the best stats, I'm going with the landslide.

Vick's running game is great, no question, but if ever there was a favorite for MVP, Brady is it:

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady set the NFL record for consecutive passes without an interception on Sunday, running his streak to 319 during a 34-3 win over the Buffalo Bills. His reaction? "I'm glad I'm not throwing interceptions," Brady said.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:17:00 AM by nba is the worst »