Author Topic: Has KG gone too far (Charlie Villanueva comments) Update KG's response  (Read 68113 times)

Re: Has KG gone too far with the trash talk? (Charlie Villanueva comments)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:23 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 259
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
i hate this twitter stuff if he didn't like it why didn't he approach Kg like a man and say he didn't appericate  it..KG gets really into the game when he plays...i am not surprised at all..

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 08:27:27 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
KG is not Billy Graham, and Billy Graham is not Kg.  KG is a basketball player, and a very good one, period.  That is why sports figures should not be used as role models.  They are just regular people.  From a distance, it looks like Ray Allen tries to set a good example...I think each of us is better off trying to be our own good example and not worrying about everyone else.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
And ESPN will pick this up in 3...2...1

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Poor taste by KG. I don't know if CV deserved that kind of trash talk, nor don't fault him for reporting on Twitter. He ain't the first and won't be the last to express himself via Twitter. KG did go to far in my opinion. I am getting tired of people calling out KG to fight, but he did go below the belt.

If Charlie is in fact telling the truth - I agree with Jevi here.

I love KG, and his trash talk (and most trash talk) is part of the game, but there are some things that are off limits.

The most Legendary players in the game ever all had a code of ethics, I assume. In my time, Larry, Magic and Michael all talked trash, but I am sure that they never talked about someone having a condition like Charlie's.

Now the part of challenging KG to a fight? That's childish. He's not the first to do that. If Charlie was THAT good of a player, he'd shut KG up on the court - not in a ring.

Jordan and Bird were known as some of the most vile trash talkers of all time by the people they played...Alot of that has come out in player's memoirs from that time.

I mean, if people don't like trash talk, fine. But lets not engage in revisionist history. The only difference between those days and these is the amount of access fans have to the game.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 08:44:42 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
if I could hear KG on the court, I probably wouldn't like him as much
co-sign
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 08:47:45 AM »

Offline Larry Pistol

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Trash talking goes on everyday. On the court, off the court, between ball players, and between co-workers in the office. Maybe not everyone does it, and yes Garnet is the poster boy for trash talking in today's NBA. However, I don't see anything really wrong with it. It's not like KG went up to Villanueva on the street and said that he looked like a cancer patient. It was in the heat of the moment, during a game. And for CV to complain via the internet instead of, I don't know...beating him ON THE COURT is childish at the very least.

And CV has what is called Alopecia Universalis, and I'm not trying to sound like a doctor but..(zing!) It's just an immune disease that makes all the hair on his body fall off extremely fast. That's it. It has nothing to do with cancer, therefore IMO, it's just harmless banter.

And I completely agree with thirstyboots. Athletes should NOT be used as role models. These are guys that have been given a pass on everything in life to pretty much do what they want. These are people that have relied on their athleticism to get them by throughout their entire lives without ever having to use their brains.

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think if Charlie popped him in the head kg would have deserved it.  Its the nba though and trash talking is everywhere, even in celtics practices see von wafer and dwest  8)

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:06 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
This sounds terrible outside of the context of a heated basketball game but if I had to guess it would not really stand out if we heard every word spoken out there.

That being said it clearly hurt CV pretty deeply. But hey you have to have thick skin to beat the Celtics.

All of the victims of the Celtics in the playoffs say the same thing...they were just mentally tougher than we were. This pyschological part of the game is something that KG has mastered. Too far? Yes. Am I still glad he's our guy? Absolutely

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 09:07:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The most Legendary players in the game ever all had a code of ethics, I assume. In my time, Larry, Magic and Michael all talked trash, but I am sure that they never talked about someone having a condition like Charlie's.
How do you know this? Larry Bird once told a player he had a Christmas present for him, hit a three in front of him in the bench and said "Merry *Bleeping* Christmas".

You think he hasn't said a lot worse when trash talking?

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I can't say I love the comments, but I've honestly heard worse in pickup games. So I believe he said it, and I don't really care. What someone says on the court isn't the same as a public statement or interview.

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
It is not a good statement to make.  But tons of trash talk goes around the court.  Why is Charlie V being a baby and making whats said on the court public.  You don't really hear other players make public what's said to them on the court.

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
The hardest thing in the world to do is hate the sin, but forgive the sinner.   Man, do I sound like a preacher...but really, I know how much trouble I have with this one.  I have some very long grudges that no one knows about!  (I seem to save it for personal attacks on my family though...)  ::)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
For Fafnir and Hila:

I'm 99% sure that the Legends that I mentioned (Larry, Michael) never went as far as joking about someone's medical condition. That's off-limits to me.

If they did in fact do that, then I'd look at them differently.

If it is true that the condition that Villainueva has is Alopecia, then KG should've in fact shut his mouth on that one.

As far as KG being a role model? Well, back in the day I remember Charles Barkley making a comment about how athletes shouldn't be role models. Barkley was living in a vacuum, IMO. I say this because in an ideal situation yes boys and girls would have two parent homes and strong role models to look up to. We all know that this isn't the case sometimes.

It is impossible for youth to NOT look up to athletes. They see them on TV all the time. They do in fact bear some responsibility for how they conduct themselves.

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think KG crossed the line a long time ago. From what I've heard from people who've been courtside he pulls no punches. I'm surprised he hasn't had anyone waiting outside the locker room for him. Charlie V is going to get it tonight for whining all he's done is let KG no he's gotten to him.

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 09:26:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
For Fafnir and Hila:

I'm 99% sure that the Legends that I mentioned (Larry, Michael) never went as far as joking about someone's medical condition. That's off-limits to me.
Why are you so sure? MJ was obsessed with winning, would make up slights to motivate himself, punched a teammate in practice, and was legendary for his trash talk. Bird was certainly no saint himself. Got into bar fights before playoff games and a whole book full of other interpersonal troubles.

What reasons do you have to think he wouldn't make fun of someone's appearance. Especially when it obviously go to Charlie V, which is the whole point of trash talk.