Author Topic: 2010 CelticsBlog Draft: Southwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 25683 times)

Re: 2010 CelticsBlog Draft: Southwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
the best rebounding team in the league

Shinanigans.

I'll take the pepsi challenge against your scrubs.

As far as I'm concerned, there's one way to solve this:

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

Shinanigans.

Tough talk from a guy who's reserve bigs are Lou "James Singleton tells me its nice in China" Amundson and Omer Asik.

McDyess out-rebounded his opponents at both the 4 and 5 last season. In fact out-rebounded Amare Stoudemire in the Western Conference Semis. (No wonder you put him on the first plane out of Chicago.)

Kleiza similarly fairs well against opposing small forwards, less well as a stretch 4. Although he returns to the NBA having made significant strides as Euroleague's leading scorer and 2010 Alphonso Ford Trophy winner. He's clearly a better player than the solid first-forward-off-the-bench that left Denver.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:55:09 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 03:47:55 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
And not one mention of the Buccaneers 'egoless ferocity'. Weak.

"Egoless ferocity & mustaches that's our motto."

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 03:48:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Great depth, the team’s rotation 6 through 9 is made up of NBA veteran starters. While the starting five has none of the injury question marks of other contenders.

Not sure what the other contenders' injury concerns are, but there is a reason Gerald Wallace is nicknamed "Crash". Last season's 76 games were a personal best for him; he's missed no fewer than 10 games in every other season he's been in the league.

It also may not be an injury concern, but you're not at all concerned with how Cousins adjusts to life in the NBA, on and off the court?

Regardless of these two quibbles, I think you do edge us out for the SW crown, thanks to similarly great depth.

On paper.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be
Question for New Orleans

Do you have any concerns that your starting center has played zero NBA minutes and has had maturity issues according to some media reports?  Also, any concern that his youth may cause him to spend many of games in foul trouble which seems to be legitimate concern with any rookie center?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2010, 03:57:08 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Shinanigans.

Tough talk from a guy who's reserve bigs are Lou "James Singleton tells me its nice in China" Amundson and Omer Asik.

McDyess out-rebounded his opponents at both the 4 and 5 last season. In fact out-rebounded Amare Stoudemire in the Western Conference Semis. (No wonder you put him on the first plane out of Chicago.)

Kleiza similarly fairs well against opposing small forwards, less well as a stretch 4. Although he returns to the NBA having made significant strides as Euroleague's leading scorer and 2010 Alphonso Ford Trophy winner. He's clearly a better player than the solid first-forward-off-the-bench that left Denver.

It's easy to outrebound Amar'e when Tim Duncan is boxing him out.

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
New Orleans:

DeMarcus Cousins has struggled with his weight, his work ethic, and his maturity.  Is he ready to handle such a big role on a potential playoff team?

I'm a big fan of Jrue Holiday, but does he have the experience to lead a team deep into the playoffs?

Raja Bell played 6 games last year, and is 34 years old.  How much does he have left?  

Similarly, Antonio McDyess is old (36) and his game has been declining.  How big a contributor can he be?

EDIT:  Also, Sacramento is a better rebounding team than you.  The only position you have us is at SF. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Shinanigans.

It is easy to out rebound Amar'e when Scalabrine is boxing him out.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200901190BOS.html

That's right Air Intangibles doubled up your boy on the boards when they both got 30+ minutes.

Edit: I forgot the best part, this game happened immediately after Amar'e declared he needed to get his "Gorilla Game" going.

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

Great depth, the team’s rotation 6 through 9 is made up of NBA veteran starters. While the starting five has none of the injury question marks of other contenders.

Not sure what the other contenders' injury concerns are, but there is a reason Gerald Wallace is nicknamed "Crash". Last season's 76 games were a personal best for him; he's missed no fewer than 10 games in every other season he's been in the league.

Well the personal best also coincided with a drastic cut in his minutes at the 4. But certainly I can't hand wave away concerns about a player who once rushed back from a collapsed lung. But, personally, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to players coming off of injury free seasons, such as Wallace, or at at least coming in to training camp at or near 100%, Bynum and Tony Parker for example.

I was specifically referring to otherwise competitive teams with linchpins who remain question marks at this late date:

The Raptors well-discussed Kendrick Perkins.

Utah's starting center Yao Ming missed the entirety of the 2009-2010 season, averages 47 games over the past five. Has resumed basketball drills but has yet to have been cleared for contact. Has said he's one setback away from retirement.

New York' starting center, Greg Oden has only averaged 41 appearances after missing his rookie season, is still re-habbing his broken knee cap in Indianapolis, remains doubtful for opening night.

The Boston Celtics have a more durable Andrew Bogut, who averages 66 games a season, but he's still unable to straighten his elbow fully, isn't anywhere near a basketball court. And could miss the first month of the season.

Did I miss anyone? One of the reasons that the Buccaneers should be ranked ahead of all of the above - at least in regular season standings. In the playoffs it's match-ups, match-ups, match-ups, that's my motto.

Regardless of these two quibbles, I think you do edge us out for the SW crown, thanks to similarly great depth.

On paper.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that many will disagree. Meet in the Western Conference Finals?

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

On paper.

Wow...  maybe I need to reassess.  It sounds like Lucky doesn't have as much faith in his team as I do.  I had a pretty healthy gap in Houston's favor here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think New Orleans has enough offense to win its division.

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

On paper.

Wow...  maybe I need to reassess.  It sounds like Lucky doesn't have as much faith in his team as I do.  I had a pretty healthy gap in Houston's favor here.
Yeah I'm thinking the same, though I think its the four seed for this division winner. Maybe without homecourt.

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Not sold on Cousins as an immediate contributor. I like him a lot as a prospect in the long haul but I'm not sure how he'll do right away in the NBA.

I think he'll be a top rebounder right away but not convinced about his ability to be an efficient offensive weapon or his defensive ability.

I only saw a small amount of his play in summer league but in that time I was very disappointed in his shot selection. I also thought he showed a lack of experience in playing against men his own size. He rushed a lot of shots. Clearly, he is very talented offensively but I'm not sure of his decision making as a rookie and he may take some time to be an efficient option when creating his own shot.

I am also a bit concerned by how little I've heard about Cousins in the off-season. Not hearing much about his workouts or whether he is making much progress. Whether he is in Sacramento with his coaches or not. Surprising to hear so little about such a high profile lottery pick. I am worried about that ... especially with the questions of his work ethic + his need to improve his stamina / durability.

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Shinanigans.

It is easy to out rebound Amar'e when Scalabrine is boxing him out.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200901190BOS.html

That's right Air Intangibles doubled up your boy on the boards when they both got 30+ minutes.

Edit: I forgot the best part, this game happened immediately after Amar'e declared he needed to get his "Gorilla Game" going.

Everybody has bad games.

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Not sold on Cousins as an immediate contributor. I like him a lot as a prospect in the long haul but I'm not sure how he'll do right away in the NBA.

I think he'll be a top rebounder right away but not convinced about his ability to be an efficient offensive weapon or his defensive ability.

I only saw a small amount of his play in summer league but in that time I was very disappointed in his shot selection. I also thought he showed a lack of experience in playing against men his own size. He rushed a lot of shots. Clearly, he is very talented offensively but I'm not sure of his decision making as a rookie and he may take some time to be an efficient option when creating his own shot.

I am also a bit concerned by how little I've heard about Cousins in the off-season. Not hearing much about his workouts or whether he is making much progress. Whether he is in Sacramento with his coaches or not. Surprising to hear so little about such a high profile lottery pick. I am worried about that ... especially with the questions of his work ethic + his need to improve his stamina / durability.

Also pretty foul prone. I think he's ready to compete though, but I couldn't see more than 30 minutes out of him.