Author Topic: 2010 CelticsBlog Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 58602 times)

Re: 2010 CelticsBlog Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I believe you are mistaking harshness of tone for reality of the situation Roy. Edgar's entire post was hype and hyberbole and, let's be fair here, it's pretty obvious what the strategy was. I didn't put words in Edgar's mouth, I simply gave my opinion on what their team building strategy was.

I think it's very hard to tell somebody else what the reality of their thinking was, nick.  You can interpret somebody's actions, but when you tell them it's "very obvious" what their strategy was, that's where putting words into people's mouths comes in.

Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kendrick Perkins are all Celtics.  They're also all very good players, who were 60% of the starting lineup of a Finals team.  If healthy, Perkins is an excellent fit next to David Lee.

When I look at Edgar's / Redz' lineup, I don't see a team trying to trick people into voting for them.  Rather, a see a team that has a very complementary starting lineup that, if healthy, can defend, score, shoot from outside, initiate offense from the post, pass, etc.  It's a very nicely designed lineup.

Now, there are question marks, Perk's health among them.  However, how can anybody sit here and say "you only took those guys because they're Celtics", when that lineup is a very good one featuring four guys who have been recent all-stars, and another who is a top-tier defensive center?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94
I added two players to my team who I forgot about...I know it brings me to 14 but not sure who I would drop so look at my presser again.
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I added two players to my team who I forgot about...I know it brings me to 14 but not sure who I would drop so look at my presser again.

You've got to drop one of them, now.  Teams that aren't below the roster maximum aren't playoff eligible.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2010, 02:49:13 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I believe you are mistaking harshness of tone for reality of the situation Roy. Edgar's entire post was hype and hyberbole and, let's be fair here, it's pretty obvious what the strategy was. I didn't put words in Edgar's mouth, I simply gave my opinion on what their team building strategy was.

I think it's very hard to tell somebody else what the reality of their thinking was, nick.  You can interpret somebody's actions, but when you tell them it's "very obvious" what their strategy was, that's where putting words into people's mouths comes in.

Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kendrick Perkins are all Celtics.  They're also all very good players, who were 60% of the starting lineup of a Finals team.  If healthy, Perkins is an excellent fit next to David Lee.

When I look at Edgar's / Redz' lineup, I don't see a team trying to trick people into voting for them.  Rather, a see a team that has a very complementary starting lineup that, if healthy, can defend, score, shoot from outside, initiate offense from the post, pass, etc.  It's a very nicely designed lineup.

Now, there are question marks, Perk's health among them.  However, how can anybody sit here and say "you only took those guys because they're Celtics", when that lineup is a very good one featuring four guys who have been recent all-stars, and another who is a top-tier defensive center?

I just can't see myself voting for a team whos starting center is out untill at least Feb and we have know idea how he will be when he returns.  I was freaking out about the real celtics center position untill we signed Shaq and Jermaine.  Both of which are better than toronto's backups IMO
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think it's very hard to tell somebody else what the reality of their thinking was, nick.  You can interpret somebody's actions, but when you tell them it's "very obvious" what their strategy was, that's where putting words into people's mouths comes in.

Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kendrick Perkins are all Celtics.  They're also all very good players, who were 60% of the starting lineup of a Finals team.  If healthy, Perkins is an excellent fit next to David Lee.

When I look at Edgar's / Redz' lineup, I don't see a team trying to trick people into voting for them.  Rather, a see a team that has a very complementary starting lineup that, if healthy, can defend, score, shoot from outside, initiate offense from the post, pass, etc.  It's a very nicely designed lineup.

Now, there are question marks, Perk's health among them.  However, how can anybody sit here and say "you only took those guys because they're Celtics", when that lineup is a very good one featuring four guys who have been recent all-stars, and another who is a top-tier defensive center?

I just can't see myself voting for a team whos starting center is out untill at least Feb and we have know idea how he will be when he returns.  I was freaking out about the real celtics center position untill we signed Shaq and Jermaine.  Both of which are better than toronto's backups IMO

It's fair not to be in love with Toronto's team, I just don't like people basically insulting others by putting words in their mouths.

Regarding the Perk issue, I think the big man depth is respectable with Anthony (perhaps the starter in Miami) and Miller.  It's a weakness, but I think Toronto could weather the storm until the playoffs.  The starting lineup is going to be excellent defensively (even without Perk), and four of the five guys are all very good scorers and shooters.

EDIT:  Toronto has probably the most efficient offense in the league, at least in terms of shooting:

David Lee: .545 eFG%, .584 TS%
Paul Pierce: .535 eFG%, .613 TS%
Ray Allen: .551 eFG%, .601 TS%
Jameer Nelson: .510 eFG%, .540 TS%

That's pretty darn impressive, especially considering that Nelson had a bit of a down year shooting compared to his normal standards.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:00:08 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I just can't see myself voting for a team whos starting center is out untill at least Feb and we have know idea how he will be when he returns.  I was freaking out about the real celtics center position untill we signed Shaq and Jermaine.  Both of which are better than toronto's backups IMO

It's fair not to be in love with Toronto's team, I just don't like people basically insulting others by putting words in their mouths.

Regarding the Perk issue, I think the big man depth is respectable with Anthony (perhaps the starter in Miami) and Miller.  It's a weakness, but I think Toronto could weather the storm until the playoffs.  The starting lineup is going to be excellent defensively (even without Perk), and four of the five guys are all very good scorers and shooters.
I definitely wouldn't say excellent defensively.  You're taking the Celtics and removing their two best elite defenders and replacing them with bad ones.  Plus Anthony and Miller are both steps back from Perk, who is their best defensive player and is gonna be out half the year.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think it's very hard to tell somebody else what the reality of their thinking was, nick.  You can interpret somebody's actions, but when you tell them it's "very obvious" what their strategy was, that's where putting words into people's mouths comes in.

Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kendrick Perkins are all Celtics.  They're also all very good players, who were 60% of the starting lineup of a Finals team.  If healthy, Perkins is an excellent fit next to David Lee.

When I look at Edgar's / Redz' lineup, I don't see a team trying to trick people into voting for them.  Rather, a see a team that has a very complementary starting lineup that, if healthy, can defend, score, shoot from outside, initiate offense from the post, pass, etc.  It's a very nicely designed lineup.

Now, there are question marks, Perk's health among them.  However, how can anybody sit here and say "you only took those guys because they're Celtics", when that lineup is a very good one featuring four guys who have been recent all-stars, and another who is a top-tier defensive center?

I just can't see myself voting for a team whos starting center is out untill at least Feb and we have know idea how he will be when he returns.  I was freaking out about the real celtics center position untill we signed Shaq and Jermaine.  Both of which are better than toronto's backups IMO

Regarding the Perk issue, I think the big man depth is respectable with Anthony (perhaps the starter in Miami) and Miller.  It's a weakness, but I think Toronto could weather the storm until the playoffs.  The starting lineup is going to be excellent defensively (even without Perk), and four of the five guys are all very good scorers and shooters.
I definitely wouldn't say excellent defensively.  You're taking the Celtics and removing their two best elite defenders and replacing them with bad ones.  Plus Anthony and Miller are both steps back from Perk, who is their best defensive player and is gonna be out half the year.

Perk, Paul, Ray, and Nelson have all been starters on teams that finished #1 in the league in defense.

It amazes me how often I see the defense of the Magic players underrated.  I see Rashard and Jameer called bad defenders, Turkuglu a horrible one.  Yet, they all played on the #1 defense in the NBA in 2009.

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I don't know if I agree as far as Tornoto's depth at the 5. With Perk out, I think a lot falls onto Brad Miller and when he's on the court w/ David Lee I don't know how they stop anyone on the pick n roll. This still could be an issue when Perk returns, even if he is at a 100%, because of the other bigs defenisve struggles combined with his lack of quickness.

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2010, 03:11:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I definitely wouldn't say excellent defensively.  You're taking the Celtics and removing their two best elite defenders and replacing them with bad ones.  Plus Anthony and Miller are both steps back from Perk, who is their best defensive player and is gonna be out half the year.

Perk, Paul, Ray, and Nelson have all been starters on teams that finished #1 in the league in defense.

It amazes me how often I see the defense of the Magic players underrated.  I see Rashard and Jameer called bad defenders, Turkuglu a horrible one.  Yet, they all played on the #1 defense in the NBA in 2009.

They've also been paired with Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett respectively.

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2010, 03:12:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

Regarding the Perk issue, I think the big man depth is respectable with Anthony (perhaps the starter in Miami) and Miller.  It's a weakness, but I think Toronto could weather the storm until the playoffs.  The starting lineup is going to be excellent defensively (even without Perk), and four of the five guys are all very good scorers and shooters.
I definitely wouldn't say excellent defensively.  You're taking the Celtics and removing their two best elite defenders and replacing them with bad ones.  Plus Anthony and Miller are both steps back from Perk, who is their best defensive player and is gonna be out half the year.
Agreed -- that lineup would be fighting towards the league average mark when healthy + with Perk missing a half a season they might not even be able to accomplish that.

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
. . . Wayne Ellington, who was awful last year

How was Ellington "awful"?  He was an elite 3PT shooter, he was a good defender, and he showed excellent fundamentals and instincts.  His Per-36 numbers are all about average for a SG.

I'm guessing you didn't watch Ellington play much last year*.  He was one of the pleasant surprises of the draft, putting up pretty good production for the 28th overall pick.

* (although, frankly, the harshness of your tone aimed against Edgar suggests that your analysis may be personal, rather than objective.  I mean, your entire critique of Edgar's team was one giant attack, starting with "Okay, Toronto, it's pretty obvious you took the philosophy that drafting deep in the draft you didn't think you could put together a true contending team . . ."  I don't think it's exactly fair to put words in Edgar's mouth.)
I believe you are mistaking harshness of tone for reality of the situation Roy. Edgar's entire post was hype and hyberbole and, let's be fair here, it's pretty obvious what the strategy was. I didn't put words in Edgar's mouth, I simply gave my opinion on what their team building strategy was. Given his advertisement of having so many Celtics, I don't think I'm wrong.

Second let's remember who challenged people who didn't believe in his team first. That was Edgar when he said

If you want to say Perkins is hurt and all of that dirty stuff
be our guest
This team have enough bodies to wait half a season and become champs
after that.

Is everyone just supposed to hang back and just say "Yeah, you're right Edgar, we won't bring up your severely hurt starting center and just hand you the trophy now."

I apologize if you or anyone reads the wrong tone into my critique of Toronto. It wasn't an attack. It was what I believe to be a much more realistic look at his team then Edgar is portraying.

Also regarding Ellington, I think he's awful because of his 9.6 PER, his 52% TS% even though apparently he's an elite three point shooter and good FT shooter, his defensive rating being 14 points higher than his offensive rating and his 1 assist to 1 turnover ratio.

I saw Ellington play four times last year and was thoroughly unimpressed each time, which is disappointing given that I thought he would be a steal in the draft being taken that late. He still could be. He didn't have a good rookie season at all but he could still turn into a heck of a player taken that late.
I thought Ellington was a lousy player last season too. Not a rotation worthy player.

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 03:14:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

They've also been paired with Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett respectively.

Can one player take 3 or 4 poor defenders and make them into a great defense?  I don't think so.

Also, I guess I'm surprised to hear people doubting Paul Pierce's and Ray Allen's defense on CelticsBlog.  Both of those guys are very good defenders.  Ray had a poor regular season stretch for about two months, and maybe that's a concern with Toronto, but in the playoffs he played at lockdown levels.

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2010, 03:16:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'll need a cut by this afternoon or I'll be making one for you.

I should have roster checked everyone once the deadline hit.

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

So what?  That doesn't make Ray or Nelson good defenders.  They were just playing on good defensive teams.  And Lee's team finished 28th in the league in defense for the past two years.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So what?  That doesn't make Ray or Nelson good defenders.  They were just playing on good defensive teams.  And Lee's team finished 28th in the league in defense for the past two years.

See above.  I think it's hard to take 60% of a starting lineup that was one of the best defensive units in the history of the NBA, add in another guy who was on a #1 defense, and then call those players anything other than excellent defensive players.

David Lee is a weak defender, although he's an excellent rebounder, which goes a long ways in terms of preventing extra possessions.  Surrounded by very good defenders, Lee would be fine.  

All of this presumes a healthy Perk, but come playoff time, the Toronto lineup is one that can both score and defend.

EDIT:  Also, like I said, I'm pretty shocked that somebody could watch Ray's defense in the playoffs and say that he's not a good defender.  I'd submit that that's a case of reputation outweighing reality.  Ray's defense has been well above-average all three years in Boston, with one two-month regular season dip this season.