Author Topic: Rudy Fernandez  (Read 10194 times)

Re: Rudy Fernandez
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Delonte West a better player than Rudy?? Have you ever even seen the Blazers play? Rudy is a million times better than Delonte. I would rather have Scal back on this team than Delonte.
Delonte is easily a better player than Fernandez. Take away the off court drama and on court, Delonte is a much better player. And yes, I've seen enough of Rudy Fernandez play to have an informed opinion on this.
I'm not sure one is clearly better than the other here are the stats.

I think West is a more flexible player and the better defender. But Rudy has more potential at this point and also is a better offensive player.
I don't know Faf, I think your stats make my point. They have almost identical offensive statistics. Yet, delonte is the better ball handler and defender and is more versatile in being a much better PG than Fernandez is a SF(positions they play other than shooting guard).

Offensive stats are equal. Delonte is a more versatile player and more well rounded and clearly better defender. To me, that means Delonte is clearly the better player.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:45:20 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 06:24:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the player is suppose to be Pierce's backup,i expect the player to give near to what Paul gives both defensively and offensively,only in shorter periods.

Any player who could do this would be a starter in the NBA (or a sixth man getting starter minutes who could start on an NBA team).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't get the fascination for him. I don't get how anyone thinks he's worth a first round pick that would be around 19-25 in the draft. I don't get that we even need him. And I don't why we should get him if Delonte West, a better player, is available for a minimum contract.

I just don't get it.

We need a backup SF, not a semi one dimensional backup SG that isn't very good defensively. We have Avery Bradley, Von Wafer and Marquis Daniels on this team and could go out and get Delonte for less than Rudy. he is just not an upgrade and not worth it.

And this opinion has absolutely nothing to do with how he played yesterday.
TP...i agree with you here.If the player is suppose to be Pierce's backup,i expect the player to give near to what Paul gives both defensively and offensively,only in shorter periods.Height is a big deal as well because he will be expected to cover the likes of players like James,Melo,etc.at times.Even though he will be backing Paul up that doesn't mean he will only play aganist other backups. (imo)

Tony Allen is only 6-4...not much bigger than 6-3.  And he covered SF's reasonably well.

I was just thinking that maybe the hand-check rule makes size less important on the permimeter, as quickness and strength (to get to and hold a spot, or quickness in the hands) may be the keys defensively, rather than size and strength...unless the opponent is a knock-down quick-release long-ball, which not too many of the guys we're worried about have (LBJ, Carmelo, GWallace, etc.).  I guess if the defender can stay in front, help and recover quickly, and is aggressive, that's more important than size?  If so, being guard-heavy is okay, especially with the C's front line.
Not that i was trying to make height the highlight point of my agreeing with Nicks'post i still rather have another player at least 6'6"as the backup sf.I agree TA could handle most 2g and did help on James from the sf position in the playoffs but he is a rare breed at 6'4".There isn't many others at his height or shorter in the NBA who can play the type of defense from the sf position we need effectively,to keep players like James,Melo,Wallace from going off.I don't think Delonte West could keep up with either of those players,just my opinion.One of the biggest problems we had last season was length.Looking at the bigger picture come playoff time they would be facing the leagues top sf and possibly the #4and 5 best sf are in the east.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:19:22 PM by housecall »

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 07:47:27 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't get the fascination for him. I don't get how anyone thinks he's worth a first round pick that would be around 19-25 in the draft. I don't get that we even need him. And I don't why we should get him if Delonte West, a better player, is available for a minimum contract.

I just don't get it.

We need a backup SF, not a semi one dimensional backup SG that isn't very good defensively. We have Avery Bradley, Von Wafer and Marquis Daniels on this team and could go out and get Delonte for less than Rudy. he is just not an upgrade and not worth it.

And this opinion has absolutely nothing to do with how he played yesterday.
TP...i agree with you here.If the player is suppose to be Pierce's backup,i expect the player to give near to what Paul gives both defensively and offensively,only in shorter periods.Height is a big deal as well because he will be expected to cover the likes of players like James,Melo,etc.at times.Even though he will be backing Paul up that doesn't mean he will only play aganist other backups. (imo)

Tony Allen is only 6-4...not much bigger than 6-3.  And he covered SF's reasonably well.

I was just thinking that maybe the hand-check rule makes size less important on the permimeter, as quickness and strength (to get to and hold a spot, or quickness in the hands) may be the keys defensively, rather than size and strength...unless the opponent is a knock-down quick-release long-ball, which not too many of the guys we're worried about have (LBJ, Carmelo, GWallace, etc.).  I guess if the defender can stay in front, help and recover quickly, and is aggressive, that's more important than size?  If so, being guard-heavy is okay, especially with the C's front line.
Not that i was trying to make height the highlight point of my agreeing with Nicks'post i still rather have another player at least 6'6"as the backup sf.I agree TA could handle most 2g and did help on James from the sf position in the playoffs but he is a rare breed at 6'4".There isn't many others at his height or shorter in the NBA who can play the type of defense from the sf position we need effectively,to keep players like James,Melo,Wallace from going off.I don't think Delonte West could keep up with either of those players,just my opinion.One of the biggest problems we had last season was length.Looking at the bigger picture come playoff time they would be facing the leagues top sf and possibly the #4and 5 best sf are in the east.

Completely agree that I would prefer a big backup SF that can play solid minutes against the best there is at that position, however...failing that (which is more likely than finding that sort of player for the minimum or in trade for a bag o' balls), frankly, for $15 million per season, I still expect PP to handle the overwhelming majority of minutes at the spot.  I want the depth, too, but if PP wants to make that kind of money, he needs to play on that level, and play those minutes when they are needed.

So given that, I'll take the best wing I can get, work on team defense, deny-ball, and get them to play as quick and aggressively as I can for the time they're needed as 3rd string SF (behind PP and Quisy).  Perhaps a small-ball quick, aggressive lineup would be a nice, faster alternative to the starting unit?  Just saying there are options...

Regarding length, we were out-longed up front by Gasol/Bynum/Odom, and our frontline is already upgraded.

I'm starting to think of this, based on who is available, as something that might come down to either a Rudy/Delonte type SG or a Scal-type PF to fill in as 3rd SF.  In that case, I'll take Rudy.

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If the player is suppose to be Pierce's backup,i expect the player to give near to what Paul gives both defensively and offensively,only in shorter periods.

Any player who could do this would be a starter in the NBA (or a sixth man getting starter minutes who could start on an NBA team).

Starter/borderline all-star.