Author Topic: J.R. Smith on the Trading Block  (Read 9611 times)

Re: J.R. Smith on the Trading Block
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I like Smith coming off the bench but not really for our team.  We have Nate for our high-volume-scorer-that-can-go-off on-any-night already.  I'd rather have more of a defensive focused and athletic guy.

That being said... maybe it could work.  It would be crazy having Nate and JR both coming off the bench.  You could have nights where they could catch fire and score 20 points each.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 09:29:08 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Let's not forget the brawl at MSG a few years ago that culminated in Smith charging Donkey and Donkey goin low on him and tossing him into the crowd. These two have some history to say the least and their games are very similar. I support team Donkey!

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
The Nuggets might still consider a package based around Glen Davis if they are worried enough about Kenyon Martin's injury situation.

It would be a very bad decision to trade JR Smith. They won't get comparable value for him. They are better off giving him more responsibility and minutes by moving him into the starting lineup and seeing how he and the rest of the team responds to that before trying to trade him.
I would like to make a trade like that, but with Ray Allen here can Smith be happy/effective?
I have no idea why his performance dropped off last season. I have no reason to believe it was the bench role though because he has been very successful in that spark plug role for several years now.

That said, I don't think the bench role has worked well enough in terms of development for JR Smith. He hasn't made enough progress as a player there. I think he needs more minutes, a large role, more responsibility. A new challenge, a tougher challenge. JR Smith is highly confident and talented player so I would expect him (hope) that he would rise to the challenge and up his level of performance. Take his game to that next stage.

I'm not convinced he can make any more progress as a bench player. He needs an opportunity to show whether he can or cannot take that step ... I think the only way to give him that is to start him.

If I was Denver, I'd look to start him. They need JR Smith to become an 18-20ppg threat + solid defense/rebounding/passing in order to become a legitimate title contender. They need that third creator offensively alongside Melo and Billups in order top teams in the playoffs -- Billups isn't good enough to handle that load offensively. Not without a better defense behind him.

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I suppose my worry is that he'll need starter's minutes to recover from his awful form last year.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 10:31:46 AM »

Offline KobeGotRondoD

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 27
Let's not forget the brawl at MSG a few years ago that culminated in Smith charging Donkey and Donkey goin low on him and tossing him into the crowd. These two have some history to say the least and their games are very similar. I support team Donkey!

How about a trade involving Big Baby + Nate Robinson for JR Smith? The salaries are pretty close to matching up, if they dont, Denver could throw in Coby Karl

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

How about a trade involving Big Baby + Nate Robinson for JR Smith? The salaries are pretty close to matching up, if they dont, Denver could throw in Coby Karl

Do you think trading away a valuable young big and Nate Robinson (who is again a smaller version of Smith) is a good value?  I don't think JR is worth that much at all.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »

Offline beantownballer34

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
GO GET EM DANNY 4get rudy hes talking about leaving the nba anyways.... It dont matter if nate n jr plays the same sure theres pros n cons to it cuz they r shoot first but also if 1 of them isnt on then most likely the other will....and when jr is on hes by far one of the best players in the league he cant be stopped.not to mention our bench would be unreal with him.. so i say we should offer big baby and a draft pick and get jr in green!!!!

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »

Offline KobeGotRondoD

• Payton Pritchard

Do you think trading away a valuable young big and Nate Robinson (who is again a smaller version of Smith) is a good value?  I don't think JR is worth that much at all.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I love big baby but I don't think the C's need him anymore especially because I think Sheed will return for the playoffs if we ask him to. That's just my personal opinion but I dont Sheed's done yet. Which makes Big Baby our most expendable+valuable player to trade. we also don't necessarily need Nate if we're getting JR in return because JR is a huge upgrade over Nate. Get rid of Nate, and we'll be giving more minutes for Avery Bradley to develop his game

our bench:
1- Avery Bradley
2- JR Smith
3- Von Wafer/Marquis
4- JO/Sheed
5- Shaq/JO

I would even consider starting JR over Ray...

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889
If you look at how things are shaping up, it does seem as though one of Perk, Baby, Shaq, Jerm will be available to be traded once/if Perk is fully back and demonstrating he can play again.  Of course that changes if KG is hurt again or if Perk never really gets fully healthy.

I wouldn't trade Perk or Baby now though for Smith.  That is something to be considered later, when we see how things look midway through the season.  Daniels and Wafer may be healthy and playing just fine and then we would be able to focus on another more pressing need.  Do that trade now and we give up flexibility.

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We are going to have a lot of guys on our second unit who want and need shots.  JR Smith is a talent and he will be effective somewhere but I don't think he fits on the Celtics, with guys like Nate, Shaq and Baby coming off the bench.  We just don't have enough basketballs to accomodate all of these guys.

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Nate/Marquis and BBD for JR Smith?
Trading either Nate or Marquis allows room for Avery Bradley to grow, and it allows for shot attempts for JR Smith

Too bad we don't have Sheed's contract now, we could either do a straight up trade for JR, or have them throw in Birdman's long contract for BBD

Birdman and JR Smith would be great additions to run with Rondo/Perk. Add in an elite SF within the next few years and we're great.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Nate/Marquis and BBD for JR Smith?
Trading either Nate or Marquis allows room for Avery Bradley to grow, and it allows for shot attempts for JR Smith

Too bad we don't have Sheed's contract now, we could either do a straight up trade for JR, or have them throw in Birdman's long contract for BBD

Birdman and JR Smith would be great additions to run with Rondo/Perk. Add in an elite SF within the next few years and we're great.

Hmmm now that I would have liked  :-\ 

Oh well...I am sure should we need something before the trade deadline then something will happen this year.

Mark my words if we are playing as bad as a team as we were last year Danny will not stand pat again.  Take that to the bank!
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Don't get me wrong, I love big baby but I don't think the C's need him anymore especially because I think Sheed will return for the playoffs if we ask him to. That's just my personal opinion but I dont Sheed's done yet. Which makes Big Baby our most expendable+valuable player to trade. we also don't necessarily need Nate if we're getting JR in return because JR is a huge upgrade over Nate. Get rid of Nate, and we'll be giving more minutes for Avery Bradley to develop his game

our bench:
1- Avery Bradley
2- JR Smith
3- Von Wafer/Marquis
4- JO/Sheed
5- Shaq/JO

I think some have unrealistic expectations for JR Smith.

He is not a dependable starter.  I do not think he ever will be.  There is a chance he could be, yes it is possible, but he has not proved it yet at all.  Denver brings him off the bench in favor of a more dependable and defenisve minded SG for this reason.

Smith is also not a major upgrade over Nate. Nate plays a valuable role as backup PG.  Bradley may be able to contribute this year, but if he does it will be at the SG position playing D mainly IMO.  I do not see him running the show as the backup PG.  I don't think Doc would put him in that situation.

JR is a better finisher around the rim and is longer, but Nate fills the PG role, passing and handling the ball, and he is better on defense.  Shooting wise they are basically the same, and both have the steaky side to their scoring.  So how is he a huge upgrade?  I don't see it, and I think Nate is valuable as the backup PG and Avery can't fill that role this year.

And I've said it before and will again, Shaq does not play every game.  BBD will be needed off the bench for that alone, and add on that Doc will want to keep minutes down and have depth for an old and possibly injury vulnerable front court.  BBD will eat up regular season minutes and be happy to, all the vets will keep fresh legs.  This will be huge for our team.

I think fans are thinking an awful lot more about trading BBD than Danny and the execs are.  He will be useful. If there is a deal so good we can't pass it up that is one thing but Nate and BBD for JR Smith is not a good deal, that is a rip off for us.

We are going to have a lot of guys on our second unit who want and need shots.  JR Smith is a talent and he will be effective somewhere but I don't think he fits on the Celtics, with guys like Nate, Shaq and Baby coming off the bench.  We just don't have enough basketballs to accomodate all of these guys.

Also a great point.  If anything, we need a guy as a backup swing who is athletic and defensive minded IMO.  Someone who can hit a shot if need be though, and can finish in the open court.  I think Wilson Chandler would be perfect, and Rudy would be good as more of a shooter (if he gives up defense).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:10:47 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 09:45:03 PM »

Offline KobeGotRondoD

• Payton Pritchard

our bench:
1- Avery Bradley
2- JR Smith
3- Von Wafer/Marquis
4- JO/Sheed
5- Shaq/JO

I think some have unrealistic expectations for JR Smith.

He is not a dependable starter.  I do not think he ever will be.  There is a chance he could be, yes it is possible, but he has not proved it yet at all.  Denver brings him off the bench in favor of a more dependable and defenisve minded SG for this reason.

Smith is also not a major upgrade over Nate. Nate plays a valuable role as backup PG.  Bradley may be able to contribute this year, but if he does it will be at the SG position playing D mainly IMO.  I do not see him running the show as the backup PG.  I don't think Doc would put him in that situation.

JR is a better finisher around the rim and is longer, but Nate fills the PG role, passing and handling the ball, and he is better on defense.  Shooting wise they are basically the same, and both have the steaky side to their scoring.  So how is he a huge upgrade?  I don't see it, and I think Nate is valuable as the backup PG and Avery can't fill that role this year.

And I've said it before and will again, Shaq does not play every game.  BBD will be needed off the bench for that alone, and add on that Doc will want to keep minutes down and have depth for an old and possibly injury vulnerable front court.  BBD will eat up regular season minutes and be happy to, all the vets will keep fresh legs.  This will be huge for our team.

I think fans are thinking an awful lot more about trading BBD than Danny and the execs are.  He will be useful. If there is a deal so good we can't pass it up that is one thing but Nate and BBD for JR Smith is not a good deal, that is a rip off for us.

We are going to have a lot of guys on our second unit who want and need shots.  JR Smith is a talent and he will be effective somewhere but I don't think he fits on the Celtics, with guys like Nate, Shaq and Baby coming off the bench.  We just don't have enough basketballs to accomodate all of these guys.

Also a great point.  If anything, we need a guy as a backup swing who is athletic and defensive minded IMO.  Someone who can hit a shot if need be though, and can finish in the open court.  I think Wilson Chandler would be perfect, and Rudy would be good as more of a shooter (if he gives up defense).

I disagree. JR Smith averaged 15.4 points last year for a legit playoff contender, OFF THE BENCH!! If we kept him in this role in Boston, he would thrive. He's averaged 2.1 three pointers per game and just under 2 steals a game (which proves he's a capable defender). I wouldn't say Nate is a stellar defender, but I'll admit he's above average for a guy his size. Replacing Nate with a 6'6'' JR would be a sure upgrade. I don't see Nate averaging near 15 a game ... he'd be lucky to average 10pts. I'm not saying JR isn't streaky either, but he will give you at least 10 points a game with the occasional 20-35 outburst (just look at last year's gamelog.... http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3835/gamelog;_ylt=Ai_ryO9cQjF8CpZ8psM_S3MDPaB4)

JR is a young guy with enormous potential, and if we can get him by giving up nate and some other guy like marquis or wafer, I am positive this would be a done deal for danny.

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 10:21:42 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Get him!  Not at the price of Baby though, no way.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce