Author Topic: Team USA Expected To Cut Evans, Mayo, Wallace  (Read 5962 times)

Team USA Expected To Cut Evans, Mayo, Wallace
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68406/20100728/team_usa_expected_to_cut_evans_mayo_wallace/

Team USA Expected To Cut Evans, Mayo, Wallace

Team USA will reveal on Wednesday the fifteen players that will be invited to New York for the Aug. 10-16 training camp in preparation for next month's World Championship in Turkey.

There are currently 19 players on the roster and sources close to the situation claim Kings point guard Tyreke Evans, Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo and Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace will be cut.

Another player will have to be cut as well, but officials were still trying to determine who as of Tuesday night

Lets hope Rondo won't be that last player to get cut... Or should we hope for that so he has more time to work on the weaknesses in his game which he may not be able to do as much while playing for Team USA??

"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: Team USA Expected To Cut Evans, Mayo, Wallace
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I was pretty surprised to see Wallace be apart of this cut, though admittedly only got to see a little of the white and blue game, and only one of the practices.

Was he as disinterested in the world championships as he was the dunk contest?

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:07:08 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I was pretty surprised to see Wallace be apart of this cut, though admittedly only got to see a little of the white and blue game, and only one of the practices.

He did look like he was. But I expected him (and Rondo) to have very quiet games like they did in the ASG. I think their reckless style can't translate into meaningless exhibition games.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:18:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

He did look like he was. But I expected him (and Rondo) to have very quiet games like they did in the ASG. I think their reckless style can't translate into meaningless exhibition games.

He doesn't shoot well enough.  I think that hurts his game in the international style of play.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:20:08 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

He doesn't shoot well enough.  I think that hurts his game in the international style of play.

I would've thought his versatilite and defense, alongside the lack of height on this team would've allowed him to make the squad. Though they do seem to be infatuated with Lamar Odom though, he was one of the standouts when I watched the first half of play.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:23:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I would've thought his versatilite and defense, alongside the lack of height on this team would've allowed him to make the squad. Though they do seem to be infatuated with Lamar Odom though, he was one of the standouts when I watched the first half of play.

His style fits the international play for PFs.  Ability to shoot, dribble and pass.

Some guys games are just better in the NBA then internationally.  (see Ben Wallace)  Some guys games are just better internationally then for the NBA (see Arroyo) 

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Wait wasn't Tyson Chandler invited to camp? They are cutting Gerald Wallace, Evans and Mayo but Chandler gets to stay on the team? I know they play different positions but come on.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:29:23 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Wait wasn't Tyson Chandler invited to camp? They are cutting Gerald Wallace, Evans and Mayo but Chandler gets to stay on the team? I know they play different positions but come on.

They don't have a lot of depth at the Center position.  That's why JaVale McGee may not get cut.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

They don't have a lot of depth at the Center position.  That's why JaVale McGee may not get cut.

I thought both McGee and Chandler played really well. I've always liked the way Chandler plays.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

I thought both McGee and Chandler played really well. I've always liked the way Chandler plays.

I haven't seen the scrimmage yet and didn't watch the practices so I wouldn't know.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I didn't even realize we had a team...what's this for & does anyone really care?

J/K :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I like those cuts.  I think Evans is too wreckless for international ball, Wallace is overrated in general, and is a terrible fit for international ball, and Mayo just doesn't bring enough to the table to beat out the other combo guards.  

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I didn't even realize we had a team...what's this for & does anyone really care?

J/K :)

As far as I know people care mainly because Rondo's on the roster (thus far).

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I haven't seen the scrimmage yet and didn't watch the practices so I wouldn't know.
McGee looked extremely athletic against the Celtics last year. With another year of experience and John Wall running the point I expect him to make the jump.
Chandler is only getting worse not better.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

McGee looked extremely athletic against the Celtics last year. With another year of experience and John Wall running the point I expect him to make the jump.
Chandler is only getting worse not better.

McGee did look pretty good against the Celts last year.