Author Topic: Will Doc coach a little differently this year?  (Read 3694 times)

Will Doc coach a little differently this year?
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
With how last season turned out; does anyone think Doc may play the bench a lot more in the regular season?

Last year we got to the finals while getting the 4 seed in the East.  Do you think we will see Doc playing the bench players and or new/young guys while resting the vets more?  Last year Pierce average 34mpg, Ray 35mpg, and KG 29mpg.

I know we always complain that the young binkies don't get enough playing time.  But I think this year we may see more of them in the regular season with the older 3 guys all getting around 30mpg.

Re: Will Doc coach a little differently this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:27:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He already did coach like this.

He had hard minutes limits that he stuck to with KG/Pierce.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:36:05 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yea but do you think that their minutes will be even lower this upcoming season?

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:40:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Yea but do you think that their minutes will be even lower this upcoming season?
Probably not, unless another player is added to the rotation of much better quality than I anticipate I don't see the Big 3's minutes changing much.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:43:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Not to Pierce. Garnett had a hard minute limit set at 33, but Pierce and Allen often had to fill in when Tony and Daniels didn't have it going, and play 38+ minutes.

That's why we really need a rotation-caliber wing. Hopefully something can be had with Rasheed's contract, because the MLE seems to be going to O'Neal.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:46:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Not to Pierce. Garnett had a hard minute limit set at 33, but Pierce and Allen often had to fill in when Tony and Daniels didn't have it going, and play 38+ minutes.

That's why we really need a rotation-caliber wing. Hopefully something can be had with Rasheed's contract, because the MLE seems to be going to O'Neal.
Doc said he was watching the minutes of both Pierce and KG. He also played him a lot less than you say, look at his splits.

He played 30 and 33 minutes per game in the last two months of the season.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:59:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Unless the bench plays a bigger role, especially in the playoffs, the big 3 will be run into the ground once again. 

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:05:39 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Unless the bench plays a bigger role, especially in the playoffs, the big 3 will be run into the ground once again. 

What is run into the ground?  They have played the least amount of minutes each year they have been together.  Would you guys like them to play 15 - 20 min a game and lose every night? 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:13:22 AM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 8
Hopefully we will see similar min to last year, with an occasional game off for rest, but the game off not being due to an injury.
Last year guys were missing games, but it was injury related not just a day off for rest.  If this team can avoid injuries they should be better off going into the playoffs than last year's team.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:15:24 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

What is run into the ground?  They have played the least amount of minutes each year they have been together.  Would you guys like them to play 15 - 20 min a game and lose every night? 
Well, KG didn't handle his playoff minutes increase very well, Paul looked tired, and Ray played way too many minutes to the point that it affected his shooting.  We had a title in our hands(13 pt lead) and ran out of gas.  I really think if Doc trusted the bench a little more in that game, the C's would be champions.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:22:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Well, KG didn't handle his playoff minutes increase very well, Paul looked tired, and Ray played way too many minutes to the point that it affected his shooting.  We had a title in our hands(13 pt lead) and ran out of gas.  I really think if Doc trusted the bench a little more in that game, the C's would be champions.
And I really think the reason the Celtics were even in a game 7 of the NBA Finals had more to do with the way Doc coached this team rather than any other single factor. I think it almost a minor miracle that he got the team that far in the first place.

I just don't see a need for Doc to change anything in his approach to coaching, developing players or minutes dished out. He has a better pulse on this team than anyone and I think it's time we start trusting his judgment.

I think he has earned that from us.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I've been pushing for them to focus on improving the backup wing spots this offseason.  Think Doc limited Pierce and Ray's minutes as much as he reasonably could last year.  It's a balance; don't wear them out, but you still need to win enough games to play in April.  Would love to see Mike Miller, or Travis Outlaw, come in and give us thirty solid minutes a game.  Few other minutes for AB and for TA, and Pierce and Ray are only playing 28-30MPG.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

And I really think the reason the Celtics were even in a game 7 of the NBA Finals had more to do with the way Doc coached this team rather than any other single factor. I think it almost a minor miracle that he got the team that far in the first place.

I just don't see a need for Doc to change anything in his approach to coaching, developing players or minutes dished out. He has a better pulse on this team than anyone and I think it's time we start trusting his judgment.

I think he has earned that from us.
Yeah, Doc did an amazing job last year.  It just seemed like in that final game he pulled a Grady Little/Pedro Martinez.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
The "big three" was NOT run into the ground this past season.  Their minutes were very well regulated.  Perhaps you are thinking of the 2008--2009 season when they ran out of gas.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 09:06:42 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
The "big three" was NOT run into the ground this past season.  Their minutes were very well regulated.  Perhaps you are thinking of the 2008--2009 season when they ran out of gas.
I'm mainly talking about game 7 only, although Ray's minutes have seemed excessive since he's been here.