Author Topic: Here's To Pierce!!! He is Unprecedented for This One!!!  (Read 15340 times)

Re: Here's To Pierce!!! He is Unprecedented for This One!!!
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2742
I know my words go largely unheard here, but I do feel this is a good signing.

Pierce will retire a Celtic (that's pretty much guaranteed now right?), we get a bit more cap space and it would be hard (or impossible?) to sign someone of his skill for the same money.

Ainge knows what he's doing.

I fully agree with you

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 12:50:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks, Paul Pierce.

With all the free agent buzz around Lebron and the Gang, of course the story of Paul's sacrifice in Boston goes unheard.

Once Danny can find the right package of talent, this sacrifice will hopefully come to fruition.

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 02:15:47 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Pierce will retire a Celtic (that's pretty much guaranteed now right?), we get a bit more cap space and it would be hard (or impossible?) to sign someone of his skill for the same money.

Completely agree, (TP) ... and your opinion never goes unheard, my friend. ;)

This is just another example of what Celtic Pride is all about, and that Paul Pierce is in a league above and beyond arrogance like Kobe's and LeBron's.

To take a pay cut at a time when he could easily have moved elsewhere at an increase is a very rare thing in professional sports these days.

I know Red is just loving this, and the example this sets to younger players in an era where everything is about the money, is priceless.

I can't begin to express how happy I am that Paul will most likely retire as a Celtic, or how proud I am of this move he's made.

He's been my favorite player since Larry Bird retired, and Boston owes him a lot for giving us something to watch in the "lean" years, but my regard for him with this decision has just skyrocketed!

No way would the likes of LeBron or Kobe make this kind of sacrifice for loyalty to their franchise, and it's undeniable proof that Paul Pierce is not only a superstar-level player, but a person of unusual character.

If there was doubt in anyone's mind about how Paul feels about Boston, the Celtics, or the fans of New England, this should dispell it once-and-for-all.

From now on when anyone wants to know what Celtic Pride and Ubuntu are all about, just point them in the direction of Paul Pierce.

We love you, Truth ... and we're glad you're home to stay!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 08:54:56 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Thank you, Pierce!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
At this point it's just speculation.  Maybe someone would've gotten desperate, but it's also possible that he could've had to crawl back to the C's for less if he tested the open market.  

I'm happy he's back, but I'm not sure that anyone making tens of millions of dollars a year to play basketball needs to be praised for his generosity (unless he does something Mutombo-like and builds hospitals).  

I don't think anybody is confusing the different types of praise there are in the world.

But, yes, in sports terms...as a sports fan writing on and following a sports bolg, yes I think Paul should be highly commended for taking a big discount to stay with the Cs and help free up money to add to the team....

well said. No one is comparing any pro athlete to a saint or a real hero here, but in terms of sports, Pierce deserves praise for what he did, as he would have deserved criticism had he bolted for more money. I always get the feeling that, although Pierce has his fan base, there are always some fans that just don't like to give him credit and are always waiting to take cheap shots at him, which is sad considering everything he's done for the celtics and all the bad years he fought through without bad mouthing the organization or the fans, as many pro athletes tend to do nowadays. I can't put my finger on it, but something about Pierce rubs some fans the wrong way, which is too bad. I love the guy, he's the best celtic in the last 20 years and brought a banner to us.

I wouldn't have criticized him if he'd taken the money, just as it's okay with me if Ray takes the money.  It's nice that he wants to stay and finish out his career here, and I don't blame him for getting all he could from the C's.  But I don't think he left any money (or years) on the table in negotiating with the Celtics and it's to be seen whether his resigning turns out well for the team or not.  Just because fans ponder the wisdom of his contract for the sake of the team doesn't mean they are disrespecting him or unappreciative of his play in Boston.

Perhaps.  But it's partially a lifestyle decision for him too.  He gets to stay with a winner in a city where he's comfortable.  If any of you made similar decisions in your own lives and took less money to work for a better company in a city better for your family, no one would be praising your generosity. 

I also don't totally buy the notion that he could do better.  He's a very good player, but he's really only useful to a team looking to contend in the next year or two.  It's possible a NY, LA, or NJ could've gotten stupid, but I think there's just of a good of a chance he would've had to crawl back to this offer (or worse) if he tried the free agent market. 

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
At this point it's just speculation.  Maybe someone would've gotten desperate, but it's also possible that he could've had to crawl back to the C's for less if he tested the open market.  

I'm happy he's back, but I'm not sure that anyone making tens of millions of dollars a year to play basketball needs to be praised for his generosity (unless he does something Mutombo-like and builds hospitals).  

So wings of hospitals don't count?

http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/954/2003/01/24/PierceJoinsTeam

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

OK, fine.  I'm not trying to say he's a bad guy.  I think he's one of the nicer guys in the NBA.  I just feel that some people on this board are ready to anoint him a saint for signing a contract that benefits him and may have been his best offer. 

If you want to talk about his charitable endeavors, I'm down with that. 

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

A multi-million-dollar hospital donation is pretty darned good!

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »

Kiorrik

At this point it's just speculation.  Maybe someone would've gotten desperate, but it's also possible that he could've had to crawl back to the C's for less if he tested the open market. 

OK, fine.  I'm not trying to say he's a bad guy.  I think he's one of the nicer guys in the NBA.  I just feel that some people on this board are ready to anoint him a saint for signing a contract that benefits him and may have been his best offer. 

If you want to talk about his charitable endeavors, I'm down with that. 
Nah, not that. I still hate his fakin' guts when he goes up and tries to get a foul called. Hate it.

But he's the captain. And he does what he does extremely well. And I respect him for that.

And for taking less money to give us some cap space.

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Unprecedented!!!  Home town discount!!  Celtics Pride!!  All About the team!! http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=39879.0

Sorry, what a joke all of this is when talking about Paul Pierce's resigning.  Wade, Bosh and Lebron are all starting salaries at around 14 million next year.  PP is going to be making about the same.  And as the Heat players' salaries are increasing, so will their abilities.  Whereas Paul's skills will be declining throughout his 4 year contract yet still paid similarly.  I can't believe how much pierce was praised for this "discount" he took when he gets paid similarly to 3 players who will all be better than him for those 4 seasons.  He didn't take a discount.  He got paid.  Sorry.  And I did think this at the time of his signing too, never once praised him for it.  It's just now more maddening realizing that his contract is going to handicap us for the majority of Rondo's career and prime and the Heat are going to dominate us because their stars were willing to take as big discounts as our glorified captain did when worth way more than him. 

And Pierce's money is probably what kept us from resigning Tony.  He got 3 yrs 9.6 mil from Memphis?  Man, if Paul could have taken 2 million less we could used that and offered Tony 2 yrs 9 mil easily.  Now we're screwed for the current and the future.

Sorry, I had to rant.  I'm prepared to take heat for it, but it is how I feel, don't think I'll change that.  Unless Avery Bradley can magically defend Kobe, Wade, and Lebron or Danny has some other backup wing he gets us with sheed's contract who turns out to be a great fit and defend also.  The options are becoming slim fast...
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2010, 12:49:24 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
Unprecedented!!!  Home town discount!!  Celtics Pride!!  All About the team!! http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=39879.0

Sorry, what a joke all of this is when talking about Paul Pierce's resigning.  Wade, Bosh and Lebron are all starting salaries at around 14 million next year.  PP is going to be making about the same.  And as the Heat players' salaries are increasing, so will their abilities.  Whereas Paul's skills will be declining throughout his 4 year contract yet still paid similarly.  I can't believe how much pierce was praised for this "discount" he took when he gets paid similarly to 3 players who will all be better than him for those 4 seasons.  He didn't take a discount.  He got paid.  Sorry.  And I did think this at the time of his signing too, never once praised him for it.  It's just now more maddening realizing that his contract is going to handicap us for the majority of Rondo's career and prime and the Heat are going to dominate us because their stars were willing to take as big discounts as our glorified captain did when worth way more than him. 

And Pierce's money is probably what kept us from resigning Tony.  He got 3 yrs 9.6 mil from Memphis?  Man, if Paul could have taken 2 million less we could used that and offered Tony 2 yrs 9 mil easily.  Now we're screwed for the current and the future.

Sorry, I had to rant.  I'm prepared to take heat for it, but it is how I feel, don't think I'll change that.  Unless Avery Bradley can magically defend Kobe, Wade, and Lebron or Danny has some other backup wing he gets us with sheed's contract who turns out to be a great fit and defend also.  The options are becoming slim fast...

I disagree with you about your first paragraph, but not point in debating, I say potato, you say potata.

As for TA, I can't envision it being about the money. We could have went 2yr/$8M easily. Danny just didn't want to. I doubt this was strictly financial reason. It's definitely not Pierce's fault.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2010, 01:23:29 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

TP.

Anyone who used the "Pierce took a discount for the sake of the team" argument should start praising Wade, Lebron, and Bosh.

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 02:28:49 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038

Completely agree, (TP) ... and your opinion never goes unheard, my friend. ;)

This is just another example of what Celtic Pride is all about, and that Paul Pierce is in a league above and beyond arrogance like Kobe's and LeBron's.

To take a pay cut at a time when he could easily have moved elsewhere at an increase is a very rare thing in professional sports these days.

I know Red is just loving this, and the example this sets to younger players in an era where everything is about the money, is priceless.

I can't begin to express how happy I am that Paul will most likely retire as a Celtic, or how proud I am of this move he's made.

He's been my favorite player since Larry Bird retired, and Boston owes him a lot for giving us something to watch in the "lean" years, but my regard for him with this decision has just skyrocketed!

No way would the likes of LeBron or Kobe make this kind of sacrifice for loyalty to their franchise, and it's undeniable proof that Paul Pierce is not only a superstar-level player, but a person of unusual character.

If there was doubt in anyone's mind about how Paul feels about Boston, the Celtics, or the fans of New England, this should dispell it once-and-for-all.

From now on when anyone wants to know what Celtic Pride and Ubuntu are all about, just point them in the direction of Paul Pierce.

We love you, Truth ... and we're glad you're home to stay!

TP

I agree with you word for word.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 02:48:03 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
You really think he took a 20-30 million dollar discount to stay here?  You think other teams would pay him over 20 million per year for 4 years when he is past his prime when a new CBA is coming?  I know there are some dumb GMs out there, but I disagree that he could have gotten 20-30 million more.  I think he maybe could have gotten 70 million and that would have been a bad signing for another team.  

I like the thought that his discount was loyalty to Boston, but its also possible he took it to remain on a contender also.  If I've made over $100 million over my career, and I had the choice of making 60 million on a contender or 70 million on a rebuilding team, I'd take the lesser money for the contender even if I had no loyalty to the team/city.

and the criticism for Pierce just keeps on coming. Of course he wouldn't get 80 million for 4 years, but he would easily get 70-72 million. Look at what Dirk is getting to stay in Dallas. It may not be 20 million, but 10-12 million is still a lot of money to give up, especially when it's the last NBA contract you will sign.  Also, what's with the shot at his celtics pride, saying he may have done it just to be on a contender? He is the one guy since the Bird era that has always displayed celtics pride throughout his career, and repeatedly mentions how important it is for him to cement his celtics legacy. He could have also had a chance to go to a team with one of the other big FA's and still be on a contender. If this was Kobe, we would here about it all over the place about how he took less money to help the lakers, but Pierce gets criticised by his own fans, just great.

I remember catching some flak for this post a while back.  I disagree that Pierce has displayed "celtic pride" his whole career.  He got drafted here.  He signed a max contract after.  Then he signed another max contract.  Then in 2007, while being paid "franchise player" money, he wanted help or to be traded. 

Wojnarowski (2007):
Here's the problem for Ainge: According to a league executive, Paul Pierce has finally told team management that unless the Celtics come out of this week with a talented veteran co-star for him, they should expect him to make a public declaration soon after Thursday's draft that he wants a trade.

Now this offseason, he signs for what I still believe to be the most money he could have got from a contending team (A few agreed, a few disagreed.  I guess agree to disagree.)  And this "discount" obviously didn't open up Wyc's wallet wide enough shown by our reluctance to resign Tony.

Sorry guys, I like Pierce, I do.  But I think he's overpraised on this blog.  It never bothered me before because I do like him.  But after talking with a buddy tonight about the direction this franchise is going in, the praise over his signing bothered me to the point that I felt like mentioning my thoughts.  Because it's really ruining the direction of our franchise.  I can't believe we didn't resign Tony and I have to think its about $$, I can't think of any other reason. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 03:32:26 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think we overpaid JO at the Full MLE. But I think it was because we were desperate for a Center.

Depending on what Paul's first year base salary on his new 61 million dollar deal...we only probably had a little less than 3 or 4 million right beneath the luxury tax threshold.

I think Nate is the only guy left we should give more than the "Vet Min" that we have Bird Rights over.

We really can't target anyone else.