Author Topic: Is Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, and Lebron the same guy? I think they are.  (Read 17859 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well wait a second. Jordan won 6 rings. He wasn't throwing game losing interceptions in crunch time. And he didn't hold the team hostage every summer with his self-worshipping game of "Will I or won't I".

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

The same thing happens in tennis. I've seen about a million Sharapova, Williams sisters, and Agasi ads, and not one Federer or Sampras.

You need to watch more Gillette commercials in which he appears, ironically enough, with Woods.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Ohhh yeaaahh. The best tennis player ever got one whole ad for a razor. That was a decent ad.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:38:42 AM by eja117 »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Federer does a ton of commercials.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
He does? 

I give you some of these guys do some magazine watch stuff and some suit stuff.  I assume he has a deal where he wears sneakers.

Has he done stuff to the level of other tennis players though?

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Manning= **
Favre= * (along with being an NFL ironman who doesn't use injuries to hold him down)
Lebron= 0

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
He does? 

I give you some of these guys do some magazine watch stuff and some suit stuff.  I assume he has a deal where he wears sneakers.

He and Nadal are the most popular commercially, for the obvious reasons, and make much more money from those stuff than from tournament prizes.

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/rogers/sponsors/index.cfm
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Oh yeah.  I forgot David Beckham. Never saw a Pele commercial.

I don't follow soccer so I'm way out of my league. I'm trying to read the wiki thing. I don't think he ever won the World Cup right? And he's hardly played for the Galaxy.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
He does? 

He and Nadal are the most popular commercially, for the obvious reasons, and make much more money from those stuff than from tournament prizes.

I guess he's more popular in Europe, which makes sense.  I see Nike there, but I can't think of any Federer Nike commercials or puppets or anything.

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
He does? 

I guess he's more popular in Europe, which makes sense.  I see Nike there, but I can't think of any Federer Nike commercials or puppets or anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mulAi7cno2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdWtpbuUEy4&feature=related

you can find many of those.
The Immortals:

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes

I don't follow soccer so I'm way out of my league. I'm trying to read the wiki thing. I don't think he ever won the World Cup right? And he's hardly played for the Galaxy.
That's not a good comparison since Pele's prime was mainly in the 60's.

Becham wasn't even close to win a WC (and that's not what metter the most in soccer BTW). He was always better commercially wise than playing football. He's a  dream for any advertiser, especially in europe and asia. His selling shirt ability is unmatched.
The Immortals:

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
He does? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mulAi7cno2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdWtpbuUEy4&feature=related

you can find many of those.
That's odd. I never saw those. Maybe he has gotten his due.

Maybe the better comparison is Sampras, but he never won on clay whereas Agassi did.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Becham wasn't even close to win a WC (and that's not what metter the most in soccer BTW). He was always better commercially wise than playing football. He's a  dream for any advertiser, especially in europe and asia. His selling shirt ability is unmatched.
I'm interpretting WC to mean world championship.  That doesn't matter in soccer? Pele never did it?

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes

Becham wasn't even close to win a WC (and that's not what matter the most in soccer BTW). He was always better commercially wise than playing football. He's a  dream for any advertiser, especially in europe and asia. His selling shirt ability is unmatched.
I'm interpretting WC to mean world championship.  That doesn't matter in soccer? Pele never did it?
WC = world cup. I said it doesn't matter the most. WC is a national team tournament and it's not the best way to measure  an individual. I mean, some of the very good players never won a world cup just before they were from not the strongest NT.

Pele won 3 world cups, but that were back when soccer (and sport in general) wasn't marketed so aggressively like in recent times. He still did comercials here and there but of course a guy like Beckham who appeal to the current generation is more marcetable than Pele who's wrom 60's and many of his games wasn't even televised.
The Immortals:

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 618
Well wait a second. Jordan won 6 rings. He wasn't throwing game losing interceptions in crunch time. And he didn't hold the team hostage every summer with his self-worshipping game of "Will I or won't I".

He did leave the team to play another sport and the Bulls took him back without hesitation.

I'm not saying Favre was perfect or that he's not at fault for some of it. But I don't believe that any great athlete would put up with a GM that was more interested in winning after they were gone. The guy obviously had a few more years left in him to compete at a high level, but GB management wanted to build a team designed to win after he was gone. He didn't just lose his mind and start acting like he did for no reason.

He was and had restructured his contract to allow the team to get better players. Selfish "me" type players don't do that. He wanted to win, when it became clear that Teddy had a long term plan, he wanted out. Why would anyone want to wast their last few years when it didn't have to be that way? There were players that TT could have signed, there were holes that needed to be filled that were not which could have made them contenders. Instead TT chooses to take an eterntity to try and build a team via the draft. As we can see, it's not working out so good. Trust me, this GB team is a fraud in every way no matter what Peter King thinks. They get wins against 3rd rate teams and fail against the elite. This last draft did nothing to get them over the hump. I don't think we can blame Favre for wanting to avoid this.

And remember, the retirement talk for the first couple of years when it first came up, was manufactured by the media. They were the ones that kept bringing it up, not Favre.

Still don't believe in Joe.