Author Topic: OKC crowd  (Read 6850 times)

Re: OKC crowd
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Been to two games there.  Even in full Celtics garb the people couldn't have been nicer.....Or noisier.  Fun crowd..Almost like going to a high school basketball game...Except with 10 times the people.

Great gesture by those fans.  This team is going to give them a whole lot more to cheer about moving forward.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 10:34:56 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
OKC fans go crazy because they are overachieving. Celtic fans don't bring that same intensity to the building because we are UNDER achieving.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The NBA Finals will be played in OKC in the next four years, if they can add a competent big man.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
That's a great gesture by the crowd.

I don't see why this thread has to turn insulting towards the Celtic's crowds though. They've booed most often for poor effort and dumb play, I'm okay with that.
I think this thread has turned more toward self-reflection than it has toward being insulting. There's certainly truth to fans being able to do whatever they want (I admit to booing on occasion too). But I think there's no question that OKC fans played a huge role in their home playoff performances. Would that team even have gotten as close to winning as they were if not for the wild support of their home crowd?

What's past is past, but in these upcoming games against Cleveland, I truly think the Garden crowd has to be unbelievable in spirit and energy because we need as much going for us as possible in order to beat Cleveland in this series.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I don't see why this thread has to turn insulting towards the Celtic's crowds though. They've booed most often for poor effort and dumb play, I'm okay with that.
I think this thread has turned more toward self-reflection than it has toward being insulting.
Some self-reflection, but also some bashing of fans in the garden. I dislike people telling other fans how to root/cheer, especially when this team absolutely coasted at times during the year.

Would that team even have gotten as close to winning as they were if not for the wild support of their home crowd?
Yes, because they're a very good basketball team with several favorable match up advantages over the Lakers. They were competitive if two out of three games in LA, and could have easily stolen game 2.

The Thunder deserve credit, not the crowds. Which is why they were applauding their team.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 11:08:10 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
The NBA Finals will be played in OKC in the next four years, if they can add a competent big man.

Yeah hopefully Durant doesn't choke the next time they get a shot.  For someone so many think is headed for super stardom he sure had the ' deer in the headlights ' look to him.  Lots of misses on wide open shots.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

I chose to juxtapose it with my impression of Boston's 'waiting for something great' to happen crowd.

You see things differently which is cool.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah hopefully Durant doesn't choke the next time they get a shot.  For someone so many think is headed for super stardom he sure had the ' deer in the headlights ' look to him.  Lots of misses on wide open shots.
He had a very poor series as far as scoring efficiency, but others have had similar poor initial post seasons and gone on to great things. Kobe Bryant posted a similar win score on bad overall scoring efficiency.

I think this series will help him grow out of his "deer in headlights" phase.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

He had a very poor series as far as scoring efficiency, but others have had similar poor initial post seasons and gone on to great things. Kobe Bryant posted a similar win score on bad overall scoring efficiency.

I think this series will help him grow out of his "deer in headlights" phase.

I agree it will help his career going forward.  I'm just not a big fan of his personality with regards to winning big in the NBA.  At least not when you compare it to someone like Wade or LJ.  He does score a lot of points though.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I give OKC all the props they deserve...im not drinking the OKC Kool-Aid but i felt the refs allowed Ron Artest to overplay Durant to much in last night's game to the point where he was basically fouling him before he got the ball a good deal of the time.I also understand before someone try to tell me its Ron's job to keep him close and not give him air space to shoot but he was going overboard and the refs let it go.imo

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This is a great moment indeed and it is a well deserved moment. OKC had one heck of an amazing season and its great to see the fans realized that. The got unlucky in the last few games on the season and should have had a 6 or 7 seed rather than play the Lakers...

I love the decibel chart they showed during the game after Westbrook had that And 1 play in the fourth. I dont remember the exact numbers but it listed a bunch of loud activites and the number of decibels they produce. The sound of a rock concert was at like 140, and the sound after Westbrook made that lay up was something like 112... That unreal.

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I give OKC all the props they deserve...im not drinking the OKC Kool-Aid but i felt the refs allowed Ron Artest to overplay Durant to much in last night's game to the point where he was basically fouling him before he got the ball a good deal of the time.I also understand before someone try to tell me its Ron's job to keep him close and not give him air space to shoot but he was going overboard and the refs let it go.imo
What I thought was ridiculous wasn't how they called it overall, but that they let Artest do things they wouldn't allow other Lakers players. (this is really a series wide observation)

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
OKC fans go crazy because they are overachieving. Celtic fans don't bring that same intensity to the building because we are UNDER achieving.

I can count a few games that we've lost because we got down by 10 and the crowd just disappeared... then the team disappeared. Home court is supposed to mean something, ours is just a bunch of families and fair weather fans that are embarrassed to be loud.

Watch The Bruins game in a half hour and you'll see a home crowd.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:11:02 PM by xmuscularghandix »

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 12:12:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3780
  • Yup
OKC fans were pretty crazy enthusiastic for the Hornets too.  They're just louder fans than Celtics fans (or most anyone in the league) at this point.

The immediate ovation after a tough, tough loss last night was pretty cool.
Yup

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 12:39:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I can count a few games that we've lost because we got down by 10 and the crowd just disappeared... then the team disappeared. Home court is supposed to mean something, ours is just a bunch of families and fair weather fans that are embarrassed to be loud.

Just to be clear, the reason the Celtics lost after they fell behind by 10 wasn't "because" of the crowd.  Rather, it was because they played inferior basketball to their opponent.

A more boisterous home crowd may have helped in those circumstances, but it very well may not have (especially since this team played plenty of uninspired basketball even when the home crowd was cheering them like crazy.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions