Author Topic: Simmons Article On Sheed  (Read 12976 times)

Re: Simmons Article On Sheed
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3224
This article is the reason why I think Simmons is the 'Sheed of the sports writing world. The guy went from being the outsider fan who wasn't afraid to blast the big dogs (Kobe, Manning, etc) to just writing generic, bland stuff and becoming a part of the NBA overhyping machine.

I mean, if you could pick a celtics topic to write on (or to ask your favorite columnist to write on), and you had 4000 words, tons of resources to do research, and access to most people, would you basically rehash the same old Sheed bashing that you could read any night on this or other forums?

The fact that he is spot on is beside the point. It's a lazy column about a lazy, self evident topic.

Good point! Didn't Simmons pick against us in 2008? He's not a fan he's a BS reporter.

I agree. The only real fans are the ones who never concede their team might do anything but win the title.

We were clearly the best team in the NBA in 2008. If you can't even pick your team when they are clearly the best team then I don't think you're much of a fan.

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Simmons is the biggest "bandwagon" fan in Celtics history.

During the years that led up to the championship year:
-he ALWAYS questioned Ainge's moves in hopes of being able to pounce on an "i told you so" situation
-he didn't see that we had "pieces" which would be desirable

During the draft which brough Ray Allen to the Celtics via trade with the Seattle Supersonics:
-he was baffled and didn't see the value in Ray coming off double ankle surgery

When the KG deal became official:
-he was euphoric

During the championship season:
-he questioned/hated on every move/adjustment Doc made
-not once did he ever give any credit to Doc Rivers

Post-Championship:
-he pretends he's been a supporter all along
-pretends he saw Ainge's vision
-does a complete 180 degree turn on his views on Doc as a coach

Totally true. He should call his page The Bandwagon Report!

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

-he ALWAYS questioned Ainge's moves in hopes of being able to pounce on an "i told you so" situation

During the draft which brough Ray Allen to the Celtics via trade with the Seattle Supersonics:

-he was euphoric

Post-Championship:

Great post. TP

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

-he was euphoric

So he has something in common with 40-60% of fans I know.

Post-Championship:

-He definitely has always been a supporter of the Celtics. Pretty sure he wants the C's to win every game they play, except when they had a chance to get Durant...so now he has something in common with 95% of fans I know (I'd say 5% of fans I know still wanted us to win games in our terrible season despite having a chance for Durant).

-I don't think he claims to have "seen" ainge's vision (there's plenty of evidence he, and many, were skeptical), rather that he now sees that Ainge had a vision and gives ainge credit for executing it. Big difference.

-So he does a 180 on Doc. Just like most people here. What would you rather have? Would it be better if he had thought Doc was a good coach the whole time he was coaching the C's? To mediocre season after mediocre season? Coaching an 18 game losing streak? Or would you rather he stay stubborn? Not give Doc any credit even after he coaches to a title? So Doc proved him wrong and he admitted it. He had an opinion, got new evidence, and adjusted his opinion. That's a bad thing? Did you graduate from the GWB "changing your mind is weakness" academy? Some people just can't win.

I think there's a major misconception of what a "bandwagon" fan is. I think a lot of people here think a "bandwagon" fan is someone who doesn't always think the Celtics are awesome. Well, frankly, there's a lot of those people around. Like me. I watch plenty of games, I have for years, including the #5 pick year. I think the Celt's are above average below elite this year. I think the players won the title, and Doc's style fit that group of players very well, but is NOT the right coach for this team or many of the previous ones. I've visited this site every day fro 5 years at least. Am I a bandwagon fan?

I think a bandwagon fan is someone who ONLY watches, follows, comments, or cares when the C's are good. When the C's are bad, they disappear. But clearly Simmons (for all his warts) definitely watches the Celtics whether they are good or terrible, and wants them to win. So to me, that's the opposite of a bandwagon fan.

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

-he was euphoric

Post-Championship:

-He definitely has always been a supporter of the Celtics. Pretty sure he wants the C's to win every game they play, except when they had a chance to get Durant...so now he has something in common with 95% of fans I know (I'd say 5% of fans I know still wanted us to win games in our terrible season despite having a chance for Durant).

-I don't think he claims to have "seen" ainge's vision (there's plenty of evidence he, and many, were skeptical), rather that he now sees that Ainge had a vision and gives ainge credit for executing it. Big difference.

-So he does a 180 on Doc. Just like most people here. What would you rather have? Would it be better if he had thought Doc was a good coach the whole time he was coaching the C's? To mediocre season after mediocre season? Coaching an 18 game losing streak? Or would you rather he stay stubborn? Not give Doc any credit even after he coaches to a title? So Doc proved him wrong and he admitted it. He had an opinion, got new evidence, and adjusted his opinion. That's a bad thing? Did you graduate from the GWB "changing your mind is weakness" academy? Some people just can't win.

I think there's a major misconception of what a "bandwagon" fan is. I think a lot of people here think a "bandwagon" fan is someone who doesn't always think the Celtics are awesome. Well, frankly, there's a lot of those people around. Like me. I watch plenty of games, I have for years, including the #5 pick year. I think the Celt's are above average below elite this year. I think the players won the title, and Doc's style fit that group of players very well, but is NOT the right coach for this team or many of the previous ones. I've visited this site every day fro 5 years at least. Am I a bandwagon fan?

I think a bandwagon fan is someone who ONLY watches, follows, comments, or cares when the C's are good. When the C's are bad, they disappear. But clearly Simmons (for all his warts) definitely watches the Celtics whether they are good or terrible, and wants them to win. So to me, that's the opposite of a bandwagon fan.

TP for this post.

Simmons is anything but a bandwagon fan.

The hate for him comes from two places I think:

1) The "positivity only" brigade of Celtics fans who see any use of critical thought or rational analysis as treason.

and

2) Jealousy. He's a rich sportswriter (not something you see that often) and other people are convinced they could be the same. If only this. If only that.

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
This article is the reason why I think Simmons is the 'Sheed of the sports writing world. The guy went from being the outsider fan who wasn't afraid to blast the big dogs (Kobe, Manning, etc) to just writing generic, bland stuff and becoming a part of the NBA overhyping machine.

I mean, if you could pick a celtics topic to write on (or to ask your favorite columnist to write on), and you had 4000 words, tons of resources to do research, and access to most people, would you basically rehash the same old Sheed bashing that you could read any night on this or other forums?

The fact that he is spot on is beside the point. It's a lazy column about a lazy, self evident topic.

Good point! Didn't Simmons pick against us in 2008? He's not a fan he's a BS reporter.

I agree. The only real fans are the ones who never concede their team might do anything but win the title.

We were clearly the best team in the NBA in 2008. If you can't even pick your team when they are clearly the best team then I don't think you're much of a fan.

So - if you watch all the games, cheer for them, and have done so for 30 years, but *don't* pick them to win it all - you're not much of a fan.

I don't think you're using much logic.

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

So - if you watch all the games, cheer for them, and have done so for 30 years, but *don't* pick them to win it all - you're not much of a fan.

And it probably means, what, maybe 5-6 "true" Red Sox fans watched the Sox come back from down 0-3 to beat the Yanks in '04? Because anyone who thought they were done at that time is a BAD FAN. Anyone who didn't think they would win 4 straight AND the world series was a Bandwagon Fan. All TRUE fans weren't worried. TRUE fans KNEW without a DOUBT that the greatest comeback in baseball history was going to happen.

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 05:37:25 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i enjoy some of the sports guy's stuff. i kind of find him to be unlikeable though. however i like that someone is calling out rasheed in the media. it hurts me to see rasheed in a celtics uniform.  it's not like he is the first lazy celtic ever but i really can't think of a lazier player. as much as i detest mark blount.. blount played harder than rasheed. i would love to see rasheed in a laker uniform. he is without a doubt my least favorite celtic of all time.

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

And it probably means, what, maybe 5-6 "true" Red Sox fans watched the Sox come back from down 0-3 to beat the Yanks in '04? Because anyone who thought they were done at that time is a BAD FAN. Anyone who didn't think they would win 4 straight AND the world series was a Bandwagon Fan. All TRUE fans weren't worried. TRUE fans KNEW without a DOUBT that the greatest comeback in baseball history was going to happen.

Fans were still watching and still hoping still rooting. I don't think fans stopped watching the series. Know one knows who's going to win. That's why it's sports and not an action film or wrestling. The Celtics were the best team in '08 and it didn't take much of a fan to think they could beat the Lakers. The Sox were an underdog that hadn't won in over 80 years and fans still thought they could do it. Why watch the games if you don't think your team can win? Why even play the games if you know your team can't win? I always think there is a chance for the Celtics to win even when they've had "Bad" teams I thought they might win. I never rooted for draft position and I don't think those who did got the pick they wanted. I root for my team to win you can root for whatever you want to and Simmons can root for whatever he wants to. We are in the playoffs and I believe we can win.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:25:33 PM by liam »

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Simmons actually talked out of both sides of his mouth on that one - a few days before the Finals were set he called the Lakers "unstoppable" or something like that.  Later he claimed he was being tongue-in-cheek, which may or may not be BS, but he definitely picked Boston in 7 in his official Finals preview column

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Pretty much concur with everything Simmons says in article. Spot on.  Only thing I did not realize was that his spot is gray hair. I thought it was a bald spot.

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I can tell you this much; I wish I didn't include the part about him being a bandwagon fan. It was more of a throw away comment that I put in because I was angry.

My major point is that I think it's a bit hypocritical to bash Rasheed Wallace, in bullet points when you're getting paid a lot of money by ESPN to be a columnist.

I don't disagree with his message, though I think it's stupid to write several hundred words on a bench player who isn't making an outrageous amount of money.

I've been a longtime fan of Bill Simmons, and I've been frustrated by the fact that his columns, in my opinion, haven't been very good the past couple years. My world literally used to stop when he wrote columns, now I labor through them when I'm bored at work. And this article, again, written essentially in bullet points, was the apex of his laziness.

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53

-he was euphoric

Post-Championship:

TP for this post.

1) The "positivity only" brigade of Celtics fans who see any use of critical thought or rational analysis as treason.

and

2) Jealousy. He's a rich sportswriter (not something you see that often) and other people are convinced they could be the same. If only this. If only that.

For a guy who is full of critical thought and rational analysis, you sure see things in a simplified way here.

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

-he was euphoric

Post-Championship:

TP for this post.

and

While I don't hate Simmons, I don't particularly like him either. I mean, I used to. I used to think his stuff very new and funny and cutting edge and I loved his Boston spin on things. Like 6-7 years ago.

Now, much like Jim Rome, he is old and tired and passe and his schtick just doesn't do it for me any more. He does write the occasional good article, like his NBA tradeability column, but I think this one okay. It had it's good points and bad.

My point is, I am far from an overly positive fan though I like being optimistic when I think there's something to be optimistic about, and I don't necessarily care for Simmons and it has zero to do with him using critical though or analysis or because I am jealous of him. Hell, I live in Boston and he lives in LA. He should be jealous of ME!!!

My next point is I think the pigeonholing of a certain kind of fan and being a bit semi-insulting to them isn't very nice, just because a couple you have spoken to don't like Simmons. Lots of people don't like him, from all sorts of walks of life and types of Celtics fans.

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 08:36:55 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

TP for this post.

and

[/quote]While I don't hate Simmons, I don't particularly like him either. I mean, I used to. I used to think his stuff very new and funny and cutting edge and I loved his Boston spin on things. Like 6-7 years ago.

Now, much like Jim Rome, he is old and tired and passe and his schtick just doesn't do it for me any more. He does write the occasional good article, like his NBA tradeability column, but I think this one okay. It had it's good points and bad.

My point is, I am far from an overly positive fan though I like being optimistic when I think there's something to be optimistic about, and I don't necessarily care for Simmons and it has zero to do with him using critical though or analysis or because I am jealous of him. Hell, I live in Boston and he lives in LA. He should be jealous of ME!!!

My next point is I think the pigeonholing of a certain kind of fan and being a bit semi-insulting to them isn't very nice, just because a couple you have spoken to don't like Simmons. Lots of people don't like him, from all sorts of walks of life and types of Celtics fans.
[/quote]

To your first point - wasn't pointing my finger at you with the optimism stuff. But I've read way too much criticism of him from others that basically suggests he isn't blindly devoted enough to Boston teams and is trying to disprove some bias by embracing Kobe or they're angry he goes to Clippers games. Or some such nonsense.

To your second - I wasn't really thinking of fans when I wrote that. I was mainly thinking of sportswriters (you can lump bloggers in with that, i suppose but that wasn't where my head was at).

BTW - I live in Toronto, a great city and yet I'm routinely jealous of Simmons living in L.A. and, now, you living in Boston.

Anyway, didn't mean to be ****. Apologies if I was.