Author Topic: If you are what you are.....  (Read 19185 times)

Re: If you are what you are.....
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 10:44:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Next seven games
  • Cleveland
  • at New York
  • at Toronto
  • Washington
  • at Milwaukee
  • at Chicago
  • Milwaukee
Out of their final seven games, Boston should win five or six games. Likely loss to Cleveland and possibly splitting the pair of games against Milwaukee. The four other games should be comfortable wins.

At that point, the Celtics have finished the season winning 11 or 12 of their final 17 games and 15 or 16 of their final 24.
Well, the Celtics have beaten their most difficult opponent and with Milwaukee losing Bogut ... they have now have no above average opponents for the stretch run of the season.

Boston should run the table winning seven straight to finish the regular season.
And when they don't?
Why so sure that they won't?
As I said....and when they don't!!
Haha, wow, they could have at least waited until the third or fourth game before proving me wrong!

I kind of glad that I only caught a few minutes of the game tonight. Sounds like it was a very bad (effort wise) performance.

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2010, 10:48:52 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Next seven games
  • Cleveland
  • at New York
  • at Toronto
  • Washington
  • at Milwaukee
  • at Chicago
  • Milwaukee
Out of their final seven games, Boston should win five or six games. Likely loss to Cleveland and possibly splitting the pair of games against Milwaukee. The four other games should be comfortable wins.

At that point, the Celtics have finished the season winning 11 or 12 of their final 17 games and 15 or 16 of their final 24.
Well, the Celtics have beaten their most difficult opponent and with Milwaukee losing Bogut ... they have now have no above average opponents for the stretch run of the season.

Boston should run the table winning seven straight to finish the regular season.
And when they don't?
Why so sure that they won't?
As I said....and when they don't!!
Haha, wow, they could have at least waited until the third or fourth game before proving me wrong!

I kind of glad that I only caught a few minutes of the game tonight. Sounds like it was a very bad (effort wise) performance.

It very clearly was an issue of effort.  They lost because they just got out-hustled on loose balls and on the boards.  Some scrub from the D-league pulled down 18 boards and Perk only managed to get 8.  Disgraceful.

The Celtics are easily one of the worst rebounding teams in the league yet they have players who should be capable of getting rebounds.  It's perplexing, and it's an issue of dire concern for next season.  Nothing we can do about it now.  The C's are what they are.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
If they get the Heat, they're a first round exit. Otherwise they're a 2nd round exit.

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2010, 11:33:10 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
They didn't care tonight. Nothing left to prove in the regular season.

We just want to avoid injury over the next ten days.

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2010, 11:55:17 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
After they beat the Cavs on Sunday they felt like they were already crowned champions.

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2010, 12:16:25 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
If they get the Heat, they're a first round exit. Otherwise they're a 2nd round exit.

Nah, the Heat don't scare me.  Dwyane Wade is a great player, but he's not great enough to carry the Heat past a 50 win team.  The Heat are a pretty bad rebounding team, too, so it's not like they have a huge advantage in terms of size or athleticism in the front court. 

The Bucks worried me, but without Bogut they're not a big deal.  Bogut made that team, and the Celtics couldn't defend him.  Without Bogut everybody else on their squad is much easier to defend, and they are far easier to score on.

The Bobcats are probably the toughest low seed in the East, but the Celtics match up well with them, too.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2010, 01:53:01 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Nah, the Heat don't scare me.  Dwyane Wade is a great player, but he's not great enough to carry the Heat past a 50 win team.  The Heat are a pretty bad rebounding team, too, so it's not like they have a huge advantage in terms of size or athleticism in the front court. 

The Bucks worried me, but without Bogut they're not a big deal.  Bogut made that team, and the Celtics couldn't defend him.  Without Bogut everybody else on their squad is much easier to defend, and they are far easier to score on.

The Bobcats are probably the toughest low seed in the East, but the Celtics match up well with them, too.

I don't think we get by CHA for that matter either or a healthy Bucks.

We have the worst record since Christmas of all the playoff teams in either conference and I think that's what we are and where we are. We haven't had a stretch of games where we really looked good since and we don't look good now.  KG is a shell of himself particularly on the defensive end and the second knee injury set him back dramatically. PP hasn't healed sufficiently to approach the form he was in for the first 2 months of the season. The rest of the team is insufficient to make up the difference and Doc doesn't manage games or rotations well for a team that needs every edge it can get under the circumstances. Overall, the team was able to get away with sloppy play in the past because of it's shut-down D and the offensive abilities of the Big 3. It doesn't now.

Miami's getting hot at the right time and we're not, Wade's going to be far the best player on the floor. The Heat have also been a pretty good defensive team and the book on the Cs right now is to back off Rondo, help on Ray and take your chances on defending PP. We have no answer for it and our defense is not good enough otherwise.

I've been thinking the had a chance until the last few games which have shown me that they're not jelling. In fact, we look like a mess.

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2010, 02:01:55 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

We have the worst record since Christmas of all the playoff teams in either conference and I think that's what we are and where we are. We haven't had a stretch of games where we really looked good since and we don't look good now.  KG is a shell of himself particularly on the defensive end and the second knee injury set him back dramatically. PP hasn't healed sufficiently to approach the form he was in for the first 2 months of the season. The rest of the team is insufficient to make up the difference and Doc doesn't manage games or rotations well for a team that needs every edge it can get under the circumstances. Overall, the team was able to get away with sloppy play in the past because of it's shut-down D and the offensive abilities of the Big 3. It doesn't now.

Miami's getting hot at the right time and we're not, Wade's going to be far the best player on the floor. The Heat have also been a pretty good defensive team and the book on the Cs right now is to back off Rondo, help on Ray and take your chances on defending PP. We have no answer for it and our defense is not good enough otherwise.

I've been thinking the had a chance until the last few games which have shown me that they're not jelling. In fact, we look like a mess.

I'm unimpressed by the Celtics as well, but they've looked just fine against the Bobcats and Heat this year, and they've played the Bucks close even when they've had Andrew Bogut.  Won't be as close without him. 

The second round won't be pretty, though.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

I'm unimpressed by the Celtics as well, but they've looked just fine against the Bobcats and Heat this year, and they've played the Bucks close even when they've had Andrew Bogut.  Won't be as close without him. 

I struggle with the idea of Boston being in a series-long rut against a mediocre side (first round).

A poor game or two? Okay, but all series? That would surprise me.

I don't think they'll have any serious problems in the first round.

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I struggle with the idea of Boston being in a series-long rut against a mediocre side (first round).

A poor game or two? Okay, but all series? That would surprise me.

I don't think they'll have any serious problems in the first round.

My only worry would be if they end up facing the Heat, and Wade keeps them in constant foul trouble, forcing guys like Tony Allen and Marquis Daniels to be major players offensively.  Otherwise I agree, the first round should not be a problem.

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
I think the Celtics will be fine in the first round.  Plenty of rest between games in the first round which will benefit the Celtics. 

But, in the second round when you play every other night, I think the age/lingering injuries of this team will start to show. 

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I think the Celtics will be fine in the first round.  Plenty of rest between games in the first round which will benefit the Celtics. 

But, in the second round when you play every other night, I think the age/lingering injuries of this team will start to show. 
While I somewhat agree with this, my fear from watching this team comes from us taking inferior opponents way too lightly (especially since Christmas).

We might go 7 against Cleveland, Atlanta or Orlando and lose in 5 to Miami.

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

While I somewhat agree with this, my fear from watching this team comes from us taking inferior opponents way too lightly (especially since Christmas).

I have a feeling they won't take anyone lightly once the playoffs start.  I think you will see the Celtics play a very strong and impressive first round.

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I have a feeling they won't take anyone lightly once the playoffs start.  I think you will see the Celtics play a very strong and impressive first round.

The 2nd round could be a franchise-altering series. If Cleveland spanks the Celts Danny might make bigger moves sooner. If the Celts beat the Cavs, the 2nd round exit might be enough to send LeBron packing.

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2010, 03:59:36 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

The 2nd round could be a franchise-altering series. If Cleveland spanks the Celts Danny might make bigger moves sooner. If the Celts beat the Cavs, the 2nd round exit might be enough to send LeBron packing.

Thats a good point. If the Celtics get destroyed in the 2nd round, the break up is just around the corner.

If the Cavs fall short of at least being in a game 7 in the finals, Lebron is going to the big apple.

That is a lot of pressure and frustration, mixed with the history of these 2 teams. That second round match up is gonna be crazy.