Author Topic: Patriots 2010 Regular Season  (Read 163285 times)

Re: Patriots 2010 Regular Season
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2010, 01:29:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pats have released ILB Tyrone Mckenzie... i hope he makes it to the practice squad...

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=pressreleasesdetail&pid=44332&pcid=47

Yeah, it would be good if he made it to the practice squad, just because you hate to see such a high draft pick get cut, and because he was dealing with injury all year last year.  On the other hand,  it really sounded like he didn't "get it" (from a football IQ point of view) during training camp and preseason games (based off of what I read from Mike Reiss and Albert Breer).

You hate to see such a high draft pick get cut...   but it's kind of a good thing, in a way.  Pats make mistakes with drafting, like every team, but don't hold onto their picks out of embarrassment or to try and prove themselves to be correct.  BB stresses to the rookies that where they were drafted, or even IF they were drafted, is irrelevant - and they've proven that with their actions.  

So, high draft picks like McKenzie or Chad Jackson, if they aren't cut out for the Pats they aren't kept aboard.  More importantly, undrafted players like Brian Hoyer are given just as much of an opportunity to win a job as someone picked in the third or fourth round, and every season they seem to come away from camp having found at least one or two undrafted players who help.

So, if you're an undrafted player (like Hoyer a year ago)...  where are you most likely to sign?  It's going to be a team like the Pats, who prove every year that the rookies are all working off a clean slate, they ALL have to prove themselves and they'll all be given a chance to prove themselves.  That's got to help in convincing some of these undrafted players (many of whom get multiple camp invites) to go to camp with the Pats.

I completely agree.  Holding onto players bc they were a high draft pick is a bad strategy (the sunk cost fallacy at play!).  Of course, even though I realize its bad strategy, it doesn't mean I'm always rational in my thinking on it...

Good point that it might lead to undrafted players being more likely to sign with the Pats....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Like a lot of things, I think it comes down to BB's position within the organization.  If he whiffs on a couple of draft picks, he knows that he's not going to have Bob Kraft breathing down his neck.  Lots of GMs would be less inclined to quickly get rid of players they knew that they should not have drafted, simply because they don't have that same security.

« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2010, 01:47:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Like a lot of things, I think it comes down to BB's position within the organization.  If he whiffs on a couple of draft picks, he knows that he's not going to have Bob Kraft breathing down his neck.  Lots of GMs would be less inclined to quickly get rid of players they knew that they should not have drafted, simply because they don't have that same security.

I think the organization is also pretty understanding of the fact that this team is going through a transition phase right now so there will be plenty of growing pains along the way. 

This team is clearly trying to get younger while also remaining competitve.  It can be a bit frustrating coming off 3 championships (and another SB appearance) in the past decade but, at the same time, its a reality that was bound to happen at some point.  The good news is that they're still very much a playoff caliber team while going through this transition phase.  Most organizations aren't so fortunate.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
This Patriots team will have a tough time on the defensive end this season. I am starting to feel like they will be a 9-7 team.  They make too many mistakes.  Brady is on the back end of his career, so the re-building better take place fast, or we will lose out on our most valuable asset.

« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
This Patriots team will have a tough time on the defensive end this season. I am starting to feel like they will be a 9-7 team.  They make too many mistakes.  Brady is on the back end of his career, so the re-building better take place fast, or we will lose out on our most valuable asset.

I'm more worried about the pass rush than anything.  The run defense should be somewhat improved with Brandon Spikes, who looks like he's going to be in the middle next to Mayo for the next decade.  I like the defensive backs, even short Bodden (although the lack of a pass rush will expose them at times). 

On offense...  ain't gonna party like 2007 again, but I'm thinking Moss is going to have one helluva season, Welker should be close to 100% soon, I like some of the kid wideouts, and those two rookie tight ends are going to be outstanding.  Brady's got weapons.  It's still the running game that's a concern, but they'll still score a lot.

I'd be VERY surprised if they won fewer than nine games, or more than eleven.  Thinking 10-6 is about right, but could easily be 9-7 or 11-5.  No Super Bowl, but feels like a team that ought to win at least one playoff game.

I'm not convinced they're a worse team than the Jets, who everyone wants to put in the Super Bowl after going 9-7, downgrading their running back position, and still having a mediocre starting quarterback.  Unless Sanchez gets a lot better, quickly, I don't see NY being more than a 10-win team, either.

« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I am starting to feel like they will be a 9-7 team. 

I think 9-7 is right, especially given the Pats schedule this year.  I think they will start the season worse than they end it though, meaning that they'll start looking like a team that is barely a .500 team, but will end it looking pretty good.  Whether its enough to make the playoffs is another thing altogether, though, especially since I think Miami and NJ Jets will be playing about the same as the Pats.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I'm not convinced they're a worse team than the Jets, who everyone wants to put in the Super Bowl after going 9-7, downgrading their running back position, and still having a mediocre starting quarterback.  Unless Sanchez gets a lot better, quickly, I don't see NY being more than a 10-win team, either.

Absolutely agree.  I simply don't get the love affair with the Jets.  This is a team that backed into the playoffs because the Colts rested players.  This is a team that the Patriots barely lost to in NJ after Brady was just back from injury, and that was destroyed by the Patriots at Gillette Stadium later in the season.  Yeah, Revis apparently has Randy Moss' number.  But other than that, I think BB has RR's number.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2010, 07:09:17 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

I think 9-7 is right, especially given the Pats schedule this year.  I think they will start the season worse than they end it though, meaning that they'll start looking like a team that is barely a .500 team, but will end it looking pretty good.  Whether its enough to make the playoffs is another thing altogether, though, especially since I think Miami and NJ Jets will be playing about the same as the Pats.

9-7 I don't expect that at all.  I think we're going to be much better than last year and be 11-5 which doesn't say that we'll be uch better than last year, but I thnk we will, but it won't show completely record wise.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:38:07 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2010, 07:39:41 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Absolutely agree.  I simply don't get the love affair with the Jets.  This is a team that backed into the playoffs because the Colts rested players.  This is a team that the Patriots barely lost to in NJ after Brady was just back from injury, and that was destroyed by the Patriots at Gillette Stadium later in the season.  Yeah, Revis apparently has Randy Moss' number.  But other than that, I think BB has RR's number.

Couldn't agree with you more cman.  Mark Sanchez isn't improving either.  The Jets are going to surpise a lot of people this year... But it's not because they are going to be good, it's going to be because people are going to realize they highly overrated them.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Updated Practice Squad:

Tyrone Mckenzie has cleared waivers and will return to the team.

1. Darnell Jenkins WR
2. Rich Orhnberger G
3. Shawn Crable OLB
4. Sergio Brown S
5. Tyrone Mckenzie ILB
6. Javarris James RB
7. Jeron Mastrud TE

Thomas Welch wasn't claimed on waivers but wasn't added to the teams practice squad, so he was straight let go by the team.

On another topic, i'm pretty excited about Jarrad Page the safety they added from kansas city. He sounds like a real player, who could start for the team. Definitely softens the blow of losing mcgowan.

« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

9-7 I don't expect that at all.  I think we're going to be much better than last year and be 11-5 which doesn't say that we'll be uch better than last year, but I thnk we will, but it won't show completely record wise.

I think the Pats offense will be better, but I am skeptical about the defense.  at least in the early going.  It looks to me like the schedule this year is harder than last year, so even if the Pats are as good as they were last year, it will be harder to get the same record.

In any case, I am very very excited about the season this year.  Last year I was too busy to follow the draft and preseason, but I've been following pretty closely this year.  For example, I know who each of the players are on practice squad this year -- last year I had no idea....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2010, 09:48:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Couldn't agree with you more cman.  Mark Sanchez isn't improving either.  The Jets are going to surpise a lot of people this year... But it's not because they are going to be good, it's going to be because people are going to realize they highly overrated them.
I think they'll be just as good as last year. As long as they stick with a run centric offense Sanchez won't sink their offense. He was terrible for 85% or so of last year, and they still functioned well enough.

I'm not sure whether or not their record will be 9-7 again, I think 10-6 or 8-8 could also be the number.

« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Have to keep reminding myself, that even with the Pats' D being as bad as it was last year...  I mean, it's got to be better this year, with the improvement in the secondary and with Brandon Spikes playing where Gary Guyton was last year.  And still, we won ten games *and* the division.

Gotta figure the offense will be better - the tools around Brady are better.  Don't think the running game will be great, but don't see a big downgrade versus last year.  Should be a more versatile offense with Crumpler and Gronk around to show more of a power front.  Receivers will be better, overall.

Don't see how the team wins less than nine games, and really think at least ten, maybe eleven wins is likely.  Just see them as overall being better this year.

Haven't even talked about Brady being another year removed from his injury...

« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Have to keep reminding myself, that even with the Pats' D being as bad as it was last year...  I mean, it's got to be better this year, with the improvement in the secondary and with Brandon Spikes playing where Gary Guyton was last year.  And still, we won ten games *and* the division.

Gotta figure the offense will be better - the tools around Brady are better.  Don't think the running game will be great, but don't see a big downgrade versus last year.  Should be a more versatile offense with Crumpler and Gronk around to show more of a power front.  Receivers will be better, overall.

Don't see how the team wins less than nine games, and really think at least ten, maybe eleven wins is likely.  Just see them as overall being better this year.

Haven't even talked about Brady being another year removed from his injury...

I don't think its a given at all that the defense will be an improvement from last year.  Yeah, Spikes will be an upgrade (although with the learning curve, I am not sure it will be that dramatic), however, we have a clear downgrade on the D-line by losing Warren, and while I like the potential of McCourty, Chung, and the kid from Connecticut (forget his name), they are all still very young and unproven, and none of them are what I would call a blue chip or sure thing.  They also failed to address the outside LB position, and it is hard to imagine TBC will do better than his 10 sacks last year. 

So, while there is potential there, I think there is a very good chance the defense will be significantly worse than they were last season.  At the very least, I expect it to be incredibly rocky for the first 6-8 games, while the young guys get used to the NFL.

With that said, the offense looks very good.  The line is suspect, which is going to make it tough to go downfield a lot, but Brady has many more short range targets than he had last year, and they should be able to move the ball well, and should have better luck in the redzone with the addition of the TE's. 

I think this is a 10 win team, with the potential to be better if the defense gels early, and worse, if the defense doesn't put it together by midseason.

« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Have to keep reminding myself, that even with the Pats' D being as bad as it was last year...  I mean, it's got to be better this year, with the improvement in the secondary and with Brandon Spikes playing where Gary Guyton was last year. 

Or the D might be worse, without Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden.

Anyway, none of this is in isolation -- this year's squad isnt playing against last year's squad or last year's opponents.  A lot depends on other teams and how they have improved (or not).  We'll learn a lot about that over the next month or so.  My general feeling is that within the AFC East, Miami and NJ Jets have improved.  Neither is a SB contender IMHO, but both got at least marginally better.  The pats play those teams twice each.  The Pats also play the two best teams from the NFC North (Minny and GB), and other good teams from around the league.  
Celtics fan for life.