Author Topic: Red Sox 2010  (Read 72154 times)

Re: Red Sox 2010
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
Pretty tough to see the sox blow a 5 run lead after what happened yesterday. They really need to win this :(

« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Pretty tough to see the sox blow a 5 run lead after what happened yesterday. They really need to win this :(

6 RUN UUGGGGHHHHH SO p---ED RIGHT NOW!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2010, 12:44:54 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

6 RUN UUGGGGHHHHH SO [peeved] RIGHT NOW!

I feel you man. I feel a little sick. We are two massive blown saves away from being what two out? I am gonna take a few days off to preserve my sanity

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2010, 12:54:12 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's a shame.  They have some flaws.  But for all of it, had they been healthy all year, they'd probably be at least in the Wild Card lead and quite possibly have the best team in baseball. 

Still 45 games left.  Pedroia is back in a couple of days and Tek isn't too far off either.  With Lowell and Sach around, they may be able to replicate some of Youk's offense. 

Now if Beckett can start pitching like he can, the pen wouldn't be nearly as big of a concern. 

« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2010, 08:12:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gonna be tough to believe that these last two losses won't come back to hurt this team eventually. Horrible back to back losses they had and really needed

« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2010, 09:44:10 AM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
Gonna be tough to believe that these last two losses won't come back to hurt this team eventually. Horrible back to back losses they had and really needed

their bullpen SUCKS.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2010, 09:45:40 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

their bullpen SUCKS.
TP,you hit it on the nail.

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Their batting is great right now, but the pitching has gone down the toilet ... even Pap is choking regularly ... it's depressing, considering how awesome they looked earlier in the season. They may even start using Bard as closer ... my man Pap is bumming me out.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
The red sox have to look no further then Josh Beckett and to a slightly lesser extent Lackey for their failures this year. Yes all the injuries suck, but even if beckett pitched like an average hurler the sox would have won 3 or 4 more games this year and be right in it(and yes this is taking into account his small number of starts). For the guy that is supposed to be our ace, big game pitcher, stopper this is killing the team. They really needed a win tonight and Beckett pitches some strong innings and then impodes again. Don't usually post when I am this annoyed, but dang.

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The red sox have to look no further then Josh Beckett and to a slightly lesser extent Lackey for their failures this year. Yes all the injuries suck, but even if beckett pitched like an average hurler the sox would have won 3 or 4 more games this year and be right in it(and yes this is taking into account his small number of starts). For the guy that is supposed to be our ace, big game pitcher, stopper this is killing the team. They really needed a win tonight and Beckett pitches some strong innings and then impodes again. Don't usually post when I am this annoyed, but dang.

Great summation, CC ... I would (very reluctantly) have to add my man Papelbon to the list as well, though ... he really choked at some very crucial moments. Thank God Bard came along, or it would've been much worse. (TP)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:16:50 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Thing is, I can't believe the Sox front office. Beckett hasn't been dominant for a couple seasons, has battled more injuries, yet we had to lock him up long term before we saw how he'd be this year? Really? Just dumb. I don't get it.

We basically gave away hanley ramirez (of course the Sox's achilles heal has been their shortstop) for one very good season and a bunch of other okay seasons that could have been better overpaying for a free agent pitcher.

« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

Thing is, I can't believe the Sox front office. Beckett hasn't been dominant for a couple seasons, has battled more injuries, yet we had to lock him up long term before we saw how he'd be this year? Really? Just dumb. I don't get it.

We basically gave away hanley ramirez (of course the Sox's achilles heal has been their shortstop) for one very good season and a bunch of other okay seasons that could have been better overpaying for a free agent pitcher.

I was kind of thinking about that trade today actually. I think we did get a world series ring out of it, and we know how rare those can be. Plus, lets not forget we got Lowell who was supposed to be washed up at the time. However, for a prospect deal the Marlins made out pretty [dang] well. I am pretty sure the sox would trade Beckett back for Annibal Sanchez at this point who we also lost in the deal... So frustrated right now

« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2010, 10:02:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
Didn't understand the Beckett extension at the time, understand it less now.  The guy's been pretty bad for over 2 years now.
Yup

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2010, 07:31:42 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Didn't understand the Beckett extension at the time, understand it less now.  The guy's been pretty bad for over 2 years now.

Agreed.  He's also really only had one season where you can say okay he was the ace of the staff.  My biggest thing with the extension is it ties up 4 of your starting spots for a while.  You have lester, lackey, buchholz and beckett all here for at least another 4 years I believe.  We have all these pitchers that are supposed to be ready within 2 years yet they may not have a spot to pitch in.  I suppose that may be a good thing, but if they are going to be better than Beckett it may not be.  It will be much easier to move a guy like Casey Kelly in comparison to Beckett.
do it

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2010, 07:56:14 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup

Agreed.  He's also really only had one season where you can say okay he was the ace of the staff.  My biggest thing with the extension is it ties up 4 of your starting spots for a while.  You have lester, lackey, buchholz and beckett all here for at least another 4 years I believe.  We have all these pitchers that are supposed to be ready within 2 years yet they may not have a spot to pitch in.  I suppose that may be a good thing, but if they are going to be better than Beckett it may not be.  It will be much easier to move a guy like Casey Kelly in comparison to Beckett.

I had no problem with giving up Hanley for him for the first time through because they got a World Series out of it (even if he wasn't an ace for the entirety of the first deal).  But he simply he has not been an ace the majority of the time he's been here.  Which is a shame.
Yup