Author Topic: NCAA Basketball 2009 - 2010  (Read 55613 times)

Re: NCAA Basketball 2009 - 2010
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I love the NCAA tournament.  I thought Syracuse and Kentucky were locks.  Go, Butler!  (Although I'm a Duke fan, truth be told.)

I hate this years NCAA tournament (even though i  still love it cuz it is one of the best sporting events there is but this is a down year for it)... When Butler, Tennesse, or Michigan St. (without their best player) one of them being in the finals, you know that all the contenders this year were flaud, and there really was no one really good team in the tournament...

And Roy no offense, but I don't get it, how can you be a Duke fan and want  them to get beat, I don't get it?
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2010, 10:59:46 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
my bracket is shot and i am happy about. kansas losing opens it up in the midwest for ohio state

Too bad they wont make it past Tennessee! GO BIG ORANGE!!!

you are crazy. it is going to be just like the last time osu played UT in the sweet 16...but this time osu wins by 10

What? I'm sorry, I can't hear you over Rocky Top. Revenge is so sweet.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1714
I love the NCAA tournament.  I thought Syracuse and Kentucky were locks.  Go, Butler!  (Although I'm a Duke fan, truth be told.)

I hate this years NCAA tournament (even though i  still love it cuz it is one of the best sporting events there is but this is a down year for it)... When Butler, Tennesse, or Michigan St. (without their best player) one of them being in the finals, you know that all the contenders this year were flaud, and there really was no one really good team in the tournament...

And Roy no offense, but I don't get it, how can you be a Duke fan and want  them to get beat, I don't get it?

What's the fun in seeing dominant teams rampage through the tournament?  I like it better this way:  some semblance of parity, where even the perceived 'best' teams can get beaten in any given round.  Every game is close.  For me, the tournament couldn't get much better.

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2010, 11:09:05 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

What's the fun in seeing dominant teams rampage through the tournament?  I like it better this way:  some semblance of parity, where even the perceived 'best' teams can get beat in any given round.  Every game is close.  For me, the tournament couldn't get much better.

I'd rather have the best teams duking it out against each other to win it (no pun intended lol), so you can get games like that Memphis Vs. Kansas '08 game, which I was hoping could have been Kansas Vs. Kentucky.

And I didn't say rampage...

just win with the games hopefully being close, because who other than their teams fans, would have wanted Tennessee, or Mich St. in the finals other than their own fans, not couting Butler cuz  their the defacto home team and tons of people want them to win, against a team like Duke or WV...

which most likely would not be a good championship game and would have a better chance being like last years.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:17:48 PM by Mike-Dub »

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2010, 11:19:53 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK

What's the fun in seeing dominant teams rampage through the tournament?  I like it better this way:  some semblance of parity, where even the perceived 'best' teams can get beat in any given round.  Every game is close.  For me, the tournament couldn't get much better.

I'd rather have the best teams duking it out against each other to win it (no pun intended lol), so you can get games like that Memphis Vs. Kansas '08 game, which I was hoping could have been Kansas Vs. Kentucky.

just win with the games hopefully being close, because who other than their teams fans, would have wanted Tennessee, or Mich St. in the finals other than their own fans, not couting Butler cuz  their the defacto home team and tons of people want them to win agaisnt a team like Duke or WV...

which most likely would not be a good championship game and would have a better chance being like last years.

Based upon your rationale, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you could never appreciate the likes of NO. 8 seeded Villanova over NO. 1 Georgetown or, NO 6. NC State over NO. 1 Houston. Or more recently, even though it wasn't for a championship, NO. 11 George Mason over NO. 1 Connecticut to get to the Final Four. It's these types of games that make March Madness one of the greatest basketball events of the year.

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Duke is my "favorite" college team on a year-to-year basis, mostly due to Coach K.  However, the allegiance isn't that strong, and if it comes down to Duke versus a great underdog story, I'm pulling for the underdog.

I'm with Atzar:  I'd rather see an unpredictable tournament, rather than seeing a by-the-numbers Final Four. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Everything has gone to hell with my bracket.

At this point, all I have to say is "Go Butler".

At home in Indy?  Great story.  The midwest is growing on me so I'm pulling for them the rest of the way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2010, 12:03:19 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
I actually can finish in the money in one of my pools if Duke makes it to the Championship and loses.

I had Syracuse winning it all, but I had W. Virginia and Duke in the other semifinal with Duke winning.
Yup

« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2010, 01:28:47 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Duke is my "favorite" college team on a year-to-year basis, mostly due to Coach K.  However, the allegiance isn't that strong, and if it comes down to Duke versus a great underdog story, I'm pulling for the underdog.

I'm with Atzar:  I'd rather see an unpredictable tournament, rather than seeing a by-the-numbers Final Four. 
Born,raised and still live in NC. I'm a Duke fan because of Coach K, Cameron and it's funny crazies. But one of the main reasons is I HATE UNC and all players from that school. So I must pull for DUKE not matter what.

UNC is at the same level of hate as the Lakers for me. Perhaps even more so.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Ok I get it now.

« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

just win with the games hopefully being close, because who other than their teams fans, would have wanted Tennessee, or Mich St. in the finals other than their own fans, not couting Butler cuz  their the defacto home team and tons of people want them to win agaisnt a team like Duke or WV...

Based upon your rationale, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you could never appreciate the likes of NO. 8 seeded Villanova over NO. 1 Georgetown or, NO 6. NC State over NO. 1 Houston. Or more recently, even though it wasn't for a championship, NO. 11 George Mason over NO. 1 Connecticut to get to the Final Four. It's these types of games that make March Madness one of the greatest basketball events of the year.

That is completely true...

Villanaova over Georgetown, both were great and the George mason elite eight win was ok, but I knew George Mason was going to get bounced the next game.

Butler's story so far I have to admit is as good as George Mason, probably better, and could be better than Villnova's and NC States because Butler still has a good chance to win unlike George Mason did and how they are at home.

I just don't like when all the powers are knocked out, and you have teams that aren't really that great in West Virginia, or Duke most likely to win it.

But I was hoping for a Kentucky Vs. Butler final so it could have been like the Villanova and NC State victoriies with Big Bad Big Blue and all the one and done NBA prospects losing to the huge underdog in Butler, but Butler defeating Duke would be the next best which still defintely would be comparable to the Villanove and NC State upsets if not bigger.

Even though, Butler is much better than George Mason was when they made it to the Final Four, and it wouldn't be a complete shock to me if Butler found a win it all, but it  still would be comparable to the Villinova, NC State upsets, becaue who would have thought Butler would be in the Final Four, and winning it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:29:15 AM by Mike-Dub »

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Anyone else see something familiar in Wayne Chism? He reminds me of Antoine Walker. His moves down on the block look very similar to Walker's. Similar build (especially if you look back at what Toine looked like at Kentucky), same height. He has that combo of an inside and outside offensive presence too. Hopefully he learns to utilize his skills better than Walker did.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2010, 03:06:15 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Anyone else see something familiar in Wayne Chism? He reminds me of Antoine Walker. His moves down on the block look very similar to Walker's. Similar build (especially if you look back at what Toine looked like at Kentucky), same height. He has that combo of an inside and outside offensive presence too. Hopefully he learns to utilize his skills better than Walker did.
And learns that fried chicken isn't a food group.

I strongly feel Antoine's conditioning held him back as much as anything.

« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
And learns that fried chicken isn't a food group.

I strongly feel Antoine's conditioning held him back as much as anything.

As a huge Tennessee fan, I'd love to see both Chism and Prince in Celtics green next season. At least Prince, he is such a savvy defender and is nothing but pure hustle. A freak athletically too, he could be Bill Walker... but with a basketball I.Q. :P

« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Unless Butler is ice cold shooting next Saturday, they'll take down either of these teams (Michigan St. or Tennessee).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team