Author Topic: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?  (Read 28281 times)

Re: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2010, 09:47:45 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I didn't get the rationale for not liking the ignore feature.

It generally works pretty well.

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm not sure if you saw Jeff's post, but it leads to cliques and pettyness, as people broadcast who is on there ignore list.  I've seen it on several sports boards, and would anticipate more of the same here.

I can understand why people don't want two game threads.  However, isn't the rationale the exact same with the ignore feature?  At some point, when somebody blocks out all the dissenters, all that's left is the sound of your own voice.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

i understand where they are coming from in their rationale....but if they have it so that people cant see who ignores who and keep it all private that only u can see on your own profile, i think it would solve a lot of people's gripes.

as for the "well just block them" or "you're officially blocked" type posts.....they should warrant disciplinary measures by the mods.

if these two things are feasible, i think the ignore feature would make a lot of members happy.

just my 2 cents

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

I can understand why people don't want two game threads.  However, isn't the rationale the exact same with the ignore feature?  At some point, when somebody blocks out all the dissenters, all that's left is the sound of your own voice.

i disagree.....some of my fav posters here have different opinions and views than me.  personally, i would only ignore people who i think are rude, condescending, or know it alls.

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I'm not sure if you saw Jeff's post, but it leads to cliques and pettyness, as people broadcast who is on there ignore list.  I've seen it on several sports boards, and would anticipate more of the same here.

I'm not sure why would people do this, but, once again, those who didn't like that could simply ignore them.

I can understand why people don't want two game threads.  However, isn't the rationale the exact same with the ignore feature?  At some point, when somebody blocks out all the dissenters, all that's left is the sound of your own voice

At that point, that person would leave the message board, no?

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2010, 09:57:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Anyway, Jeff has spoken on the ignore feature; it's not going to happen.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2010, 10:03:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I wasn't around for the game today, so I wasn't involved in either of the game threads, but I did check on them just now.

Results: 

Standard game thread:
57 pages

Feel good thread:
12 posts, 10 of them by Plamb, and none after the 2nd quarter.

I guess there was no harm in trying it out, but the Game Thread is the Game Thread.
Yup

« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2010, 10:18:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

My personal rationale for not liking the "ignore" feature is that I personally like to believe that we are all mature enough to be able to ignore someone without having to actually hide their posts.  And if we are not, then there are much bigger issues that need to be addressed.  An ignore feature just puts a band-aid on a bigger problem.  Personally, I would like to see a community of mature posters, who show respect to each other, and act like responsible adults.

I understand that this may be unrealistic, and perhaps an "ignore" feature would help some people maintain their heads at times, but I just really do not think it is asking too much for people to simply ignore people on their own.  I am sure everyone does it all the time in real life without too much of an issue, so why change that on a message board.

At the same time, as moderators, we may be able to do a better job of policing the line of baiting versus "negative nellies", but I don't think that is a good reason to put in an ignore feature either.

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2010, 03:42:08 AM »

Kiorrik

At the same time, as moderators, we may be able to do a better job of policing the line of baiting versus "negative nellies", but I don't think that is a good reason to put in an ignore feature either.
Har har, critique time! ;) I think you guys do a solid job on multiple levels, though sometimes there's some discipline being dealt publicly where it should happen privately (so as to prevent drawing others into a discussion.)

That's about the only gripe I have with "you lot". ;) I think we're a bit tight on some words, but it's nothing I can't live with.