Author Topic: Pistons Looking To Deal Hamilton Before Off-season.  (Read 7331 times)

Re: Pistons Looking To Deal Hamilton Before Off-season.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 12:46:22 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Pass on RIP. Tayshaun Prince is another story.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
To me, they'd need to throw in Stuckey too to justify us taking on Rip and Prince's salaries, but Ray, Scal, and JR for Rip, Prince, Stuckey works.  I suspect throwing in Stuckey would be a deal killer from Dumars perspective, but that's the price he'd have to pay to get cap relief if I were GMing.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... Id=yle8g9s

Rip has an ugly contract, but he's pretty similar to Ray. Prince would surely be a help backing up Pierce, and Stuckey can backup up both the 1 and 2. Has zero chance of happening, but fun to play around anyway. They get cap relief and we get immediate help. The cost to them for the cap relief is giving up Stuckey.

Thats pretty ridiculous . Hamilton is an all-star caliber player if he has a real PG dishing the ball to him. He is 3 years younger than Ray and only has 3 years for about 34 mil left on his contract , that is not a huge contract for an all-star player. Prince would be one of the better bench players in the league.

By the way Dumars turned down Rondo and Ray for Hamilton, Prince and Stuckey last off-season , why would they do it for just Ray?

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:38 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
To me, they'd need to throw in Stuckey too to justify us taking on Rip and Prince's salaries, but Ray, Scal, and JR for Rip, Prince, Stuckey works.  I suspect throwing in Stuckey would be a deal killer from Dumars perspective, but that's the price he'd have to pay to get cap relief if I were GMing.

Rip has an ugly contract, but he's pretty similar to Ray. Prince would surely be a help backing up Pierce, and Stuckey can backup up both the 1 and 2. Has zero chance of happening, but fun to play around anyway. They get cap relief and we get immediate help. The cost to them for the cap relief is giving up Stuckey.

Thats pretty ridiculous . Hamilton is an all-star caliber player if he has a real PG dishing the ball to him. He is 3 years younger than Ray and only has 3 years for about 34 mil left on his contract , that is not a huge contract for an all-star player. Prince would be one of the better bench players in the league.

By the way Dumars turned down Rondo and Ray for Hamilton, Prince and Stuckey last off-season , why would they do it for just Ray?
I don't know.  Circumstances change.  I suspect Dumars thought he'd have a better team than has shown up for Detroit this season.  You have a plan at the beginning of the season, and sometimes they don't pan out and you change course.  I suspect Hamilton's contract seems a lot worse to Dumars now than it did in the offseason.  Prince has been injured for most of this season.  His numbers are way down, so the Rip and Prince that Dumars thought he would have this season are not what he has gotten.  His team is going nowhere, and when you're rebuilding, older, higher paid guys are generally not part of the equation.  That's why I don't regard what I proposed as ridiculous.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Ray's about as likely to go to another all-star game as Rip. And Dumars isn't the first guy to turn down a good offer. It's hard to look at not taking that deal as anything other than stupid.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Just to shed some light on the subject, Hamilton has three years and $34 million left on his contract but the final year is NOT fully guaranteed though I am having trouble finding out for how much
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Hamilton and Prince are two guys I would trade TA, Scal, Baby types and picks for.  Definitely wouldn't waste Ray and his contract on those guys.  They appear to be declining and unable to stay healthy.  Plus Detroit has always run a ton of screens to get Rip open and the C's aren't going to do that to the same extent.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Just to shed some light on the subject, Hamilton has three years and $34 million left on his contract but the final year is NOT fully guaranteed though I am having trouble finding out for how much

It's $9 millions guaranteed but it becomes fully guaranteed if he's not waived till July 12th (per Sham).

Hamilton seems to be starting to slow down. He's moving slower, has less lift in his jumper, his rebounding is a at career low... Is it just because of the injuries/team turmoil and he'll rebound to his former form? Maybe. Hard to predict. The risk is into an abrupt decline shouldn't be discarded.

Prince seems finito from a physical standpoint. Risky contract to take.  

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hamilton and Prince are two guys I would trade TA, Scal, Baby types and picks for.  Definitely wouldn't waste Ray and his contract on those guys.  They appear to be declining and unable to stay healthy.  Plus Detroit has always run a ton of screens to get Rip open and the C's aren't going to do that to the same extent.
We do that for Ray plenty.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
No interest considering his contract.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I don't know.  Circumstances change.  I suspect Dumars thought he'd have a better team than has shown up for Detroit this season.  You have a plan at the beginning of the season, and sometimes they don't pan out and you change course.  I suspect Hamilton's contract seems a lot worse to Dumars now than it did in the offseason.  Prince has been injured for most of this season.  His numbers are way down, so the Rip and Prince that Dumars thought he would have this season are not what he has gotten.  His team is going nowhere, and when you're rebuilding, older, higher paid guys are generally not part of the equation.  That's why I don't regard what I proposed as ridiculous.

They grossly overrate Stuckey in Detroit.  My friend met his agent and his agent flat out told my friend that he expects Stuckey to get 55 million, because "that's what Rondo got... and my guy is way better than Rondo" ...   OoOOokay

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 01:45:24 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
They grossly overrate Stuckey in Detroit.  My friend met his agent and his agent flat out told my friend that he expects Stuckey to get 55 million, because "that's what Rondo got... and my guy is way better than Rondo" ...   OoOOokay
His agent is certifiably nuts.  No way he gets anywhere close to that, and no way is he as good as Rondo.  Stuckey's in for a huge disappointment if he actually believes what his agent is braying.

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
His agent is certifiably nuts.  No way he gets anywhere close to that, and no way is he as good as Rondo.  Stuckey's in for a huge disappointment if he actually believes what his agent is braying.
Except he would be looking to get that money from the same GM that just gave Hamilton a $34 million extension, Ben Gordon a 5 year $58 million deal and Charlie Villanueva a 5 year $38 million deal

So I wouldn't rule out Stuckey getting his money if the collective bargaining agreement doesn't change much
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Ray usually catches the ball close to or behind the 3 point line.  Rip usually catches the ball exactly in KG's 15-17 foot area.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Stuckey has something like the worst pure point ratio of all starting pointguards in the league. Compare that to Billups and we begin to understand Rip's production decline.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ray usually catches the ball close to or behind the 3 point line.  Rip usually catches the ball exactly in KG's 15-17 foot area.
True, though we do run screens for him at the elbow too. Usually when KG is on the bench.

Still my point remains, we already do a ton of screening to get Ray open looks.