Author Topic: Fords updated "10 names to be traded" list.  (Read 24624 times)

Re: Fords updated "10 names to be traded" list.
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yes, the Grizz had the talent, but except for Conley and Marc Gasol, they were all selfish.  One pass and a shot-- and the two biggest culprits were Gay and Mayo.

For some reason they have figured out that selfishness doesn't win games.  May it's better coaching, maybe it's just maturity.  But whatever the reason they're playing well
BTW I've always liked Conley.  He's a very fundamentally sound player.

I'm not sure that they've figured out how to be unselfish, I think it's more that they have the right combination of complementary selfish and talented players on the same roster.

They are 26th out of 30 for assist rating. Of course offensive selfishness is not always bad. I can't find the stats right now, but I do remember that in Dallas's best season they were very near the bottom in percentage of assisted baskets.

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Long term, they are going wherever Michael Heisley permits them to go. The first question is, will they match an offer sheet for Rudy Gay and, in future years, will they spend the money to retain young talent like Mayo and Conley?
If Memphis retains their present players and builds around them ...

Do you think they have the potential to grow into a contender?

Yes, their starting lineup is really good. Maybe not Contender yet, but Memphis's starting lineup outperforms opposing lineups on a daily bases. They need to find a better PG. A PG who takes ownership of the team with so many stars. And their Bench needs a makeover quickly if they want to make the playoffs.

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Long term, they are going wherever Michael Heisley permits them to go. The first question is, will they match an offer sheet for Rudy Gay and, in future years, will they spend the money to retain young talent like Mayo and Conley?

You kind of need a superstar to be an elite team, and right now Memphis has four very good players.  The Pistons were built this way and contended for years, but it's pretty rare.  I could see Memphis developing these guys for a while and then pull the trigger if a real nice offer comes along.  Too bad they blew this years draft.

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441

You kind of need a superstar to be an elite team, and right now Memphis has four very good players.  The Pistons were built this way and contended for years, but it's pretty rare.  I could see Memphis developing these guys for a while and then pull the trigger if a real nice offer comes along.  Too bad they blew this years draft.
In comparison to Detroit, do they have a singular talent as good as (1) Chauncey Billups and/or (2) Ben Wallace and/or (3) Rasheed Wallace?

I think they have the Rip Hamilton level players across their starting frontcourt.

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Memphis are 25th in defensive efficiency and 28th in defensive eFG%.

Where does the defensive improvement come from if they continue to build around Mayo + Gay + Randolph + Gasol?

How good can they become defensively with that core?

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Memphis are 25th in defensive efficiency and 28th in defensive eFG%.

Where does the defensive improvement come from if they continue to build around Mayo + Gay + Randolph + Gasol?

How good can they become defensively with that core?

Good question.

I think Rudy Gay and Marc Gasol are both capable of becoming solid if not good defenders.

The issue is that they need to actually focus on becoming better at defense.  The past few years they've gotten away with playing bad defense because they're on a young team with a crappy bench that needs the starters to score.  But now that they have a fair amount of talent on the team they need to start playing on both ends of the court.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

In comparison to Detroit, do they have a singular talent as good as (1) Chauncey Billups and/or (2) Ben Wallace and/or (3) Rasheed Wallace?

I think they have the Rip Hamilton level players across their starting frontcourt.
Right now, no.  But who knows how much the young guys will improve.  Remember, Billups and Ben were not Billups and Ben in their second years in the league.  Ben was clinging for dear life and Billups was traded like 7 times.

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

SG -- OJ Mayo is a mediocre or slightly below average starting shooting guard. He doesn't appear to have star potential, at least not at this position but perhaps he does at the PG.

Woah hold on.

In his second season, he's averaging 18pts, 3.8reb and 3.2asst with 1 steal a game and .457 field goal percentage and .380 3pt percentage.  That's mediocre or slightly below average?

You can't even saying he's putting up inflated numbers because of his usage rate, since he's surrounded by other offensive options now.

I agree with you about Mike Conley not looking that impressive, but besides their defense, all of the Grizzlies' starters have been a lot better this season than most people - definitely including myself - anticipated.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

SG -- OJ Mayo is a mediocre or slightly below average starting shooting guard. He doesn't appear to have star potential, at least not at this position but perhaps he does at the PG.

Woah hold on.

In his second season, he's averaging 18pts, 3.8reb and 3.2asst with 1 steal a game and .457 field goal percentage and .380 3pt percentage.  That's mediocre or slightly below average?

You can't even saying he's putting up inflated numbers because of his usage rate, since he's surrounded by other offensive options now.

I agree with you about Mike Conley not looking that impressive, but besides their defense, all of the Grizzlies' starters have been a lot better this season than most people - definitely including myself - anticipated.
I agree with you about Mayo.  I kind of expected him to be a gunner but he gets my respect for his unselfishness.

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Woah hold on.

Where would you rank him amongst starting two guards?

Top 5? Top 10? Top 15? Top 20? Lower?

Starting Shooting Guards

ATL - Joe Johnson
BOS - Ray Allen
CHA - Stephen Jackson
CHI - Kirk Hinrich
CLE - Anthony Parker
DEN - Arron Afflalo
DAL - Josh Howard
DET - Rip Hamilton
GSW - Monta Ellis
HOU - Trevor Ariza
IND - Mike Dunleavy or Brandon Rush
LAC - Eric Gordon
LAL - Kobe Bryant
MIA - Dwyane Wade
MEM - OJ Mayo
MIL - Michael Redd
MIN - Corey Brewer
NOH - Devin Brown
NJN - Courtney Lee
NYK - Wilson Chandler
ORL - Vince Carter
PHI - Allen Iverson
OKL - Thabo Sefolosha
PHO - Jason Richardson
POR - Brandon Roy
SAC - Kevin Martin
SAN - Manu Ginobili
TOR - DeMar DeRozan
UTA - Ronnie Brewer
WAS - Mike Miller

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2010, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Woah hold on.

Starting Shooting Guards

ATL - Joe Johnson
BOS - Ray Allen
CHA - Stephen Jackson
CHI - Kirk Hinrich
CLE - Anthony Parker
DEN - Arron Afflalo
DAL - Josh Howard
DET - Rip Hamilton
GSW - Monta Ellis
HOU - Trevor Ariza
LAC - Eric Gordon
LAL - Kobe Bryant
MIA - Dwyane Wade
MEM - OJ Mayo
MIL - Michael Redd
MIN - Corey Brewer
NOH - Devin Brown
NJN - Courtney Lee
NYK - Wilson Chandler
ORL - Vince Carter
PHI - Allen Iverson
OKL - Thabo Sefolosha
PHO - Jason Richardson
POR - Brandon Roy
SAC - Kevin Martin
SAN - Manu Ginobili
TOR - DeMar DeRozan
UTA - Ronnie Brewer
WAS - Mike Miller
If I were putting together a team I'd take him 6th from that list.

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Right now, no.  But who knows how much the young guys will improve.  Remember, Billups and Ben were not Billups and Ben in their second years in the league.  Ben was clinging for dear life and Billups was traded like 7 times.
I guess it comes down to how much potential you believe each of the individual players have:

(1) Mike Conley -- not assertive enough to fulfill his potential. Will be a role player, a very good one.
(2) OJ Mayo -- I don't see much potential for him as a two guard but I like him as a big point guard. Unfortunately, Memphis uses him as a two.
(3) Zach Randolph -- He is what he is. Established player.

(4) Marc Gasol -- No idea what to expect. Wouldn't even try to guess.
(5) Rudy Gay -- has very good potential.

I think one of their five starters has a large amount of potential and one of them is a wild card. Not optimistic on the three other starters, although, would be a lot more interested in OJ Mayo if he played the point.

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Woah hold on.

Starting Shooting Guards

ATL - Joe Johnson
BOS - Ray Allen
CHA - Stephen Jackson
CHI - Kirk Hinrich
CLE - Anthony Parker
DEN - Arron Afflalo
DAL - Josh Howard
DET - Rip Hamilton
GSW - Monta Ellis
HOU - Trevor Ariza
LAC - Eric Gordon
LAL - Kobe Bryant
MIA - Dwyane Wade
MEM - OJ Mayo
MIL - Michael Redd
MIN - Corey Brewer
NOH - Devin Brown
NJN - Courtney Lee
NYK - Wilson Chandler
ORL - Vince Carter
PHI - Allen Iverson
OKL - Thabo Sefolosha
PHO - Jason Richardson
POR - Brandon Roy
SAC - Kevin Martin
SAN - Manu Ginobili
TOR - DeMar DeRozan
UTA - Ronnie Brewer
WAS - Mike Miller
If I were putting together a team I'd take him 6th from that list.
Because of his age or his talent?

In terms of current ability, where would you rank him?

And also, what type of potential do you think he has? Do you think he can be a lot more than what he presently is? How good can he become?

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Woah hold on.

Starting Shooting Guards

ATL - Joe Johnson
BOS - Ray Allen
CHA - Stephen Jackson
CHI - Kirk Hinrich
CLE - Anthony Parker
DEN - Arron Afflalo
DAL - Josh Howard
DET - Rip Hamilton
GSW - Monta Ellis
HOU - Trevor Ariza
LAC - Eric Gordon
LAL - Kobe Bryant
MIA - Dwyane Wade
MEM - OJ Mayo
MIL - Michael Redd
MIN - Corey Brewer
NOH - Devin Brown
NJN - Courtney Lee
NYK - Wilson Chandler
ORL - Vince Carter
PHI - Allen Iverson
OKL - Thabo Sefolosha
PHO - Jason Richardson
POR - Brandon Roy
SAC - Kevin Martin
SAN - Manu Ginobili
TOR - DeMar DeRozan
UTA - Ronnie Brewer
WAS - Mike Miller

If you make a list he has to be above Ray.

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I think Mayo is going to be a great shooting guard but don't think he sees the court and passes well enough to be a point.  Plus he's a good defender at the two, not so much against guys like Rondo.