Author Topic: Popovich has a nice idea about the D-league  (Read 2191 times)

Popovich has a nice idea about the D-league
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Popovich wants a rule change
5:00AM ET
Gregg Popovich | Spurs
Top Email

A team, per the collective bargaining agreement, can only send a player in his first two years in the NBA to the D-League. Spurs head coach Gregg Popvich would like to see that rule changed so that players who miss most of their rookie or second season could be sent down in their third season, even though they are beyond the two-year rule.

"I don't see any downside for a player to be able to go play," Popovich San Antonio Express-News. "It just seems to be a good thing. This is a real good start, what we've done (with the D-League). Perhaps we can refine it a little more now moving forward."

I like the idea of giving young players more time to develop.  It can only make the NBA product better.

I would also like to see some other changes. 

For example, I think it would be good if teams could sign 2nd round picks to non-NBA contracts that allows them to send them to the DL for a year without them counting against the teams 15 man roster (extra jobs for NBA players) 

Re: Popovich has a nice idea about the D-league
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I agree, wdleehi.  It is counterproductive for the NBA to put too many restrictions on player development within their own system.  It's obvious that they trust colleges and Europe to develop players better than they can.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'd like to see teams be able to send players down to the D-League on injury rehab assignments, same as happens in MLB.  Have to be with the player's consent, of course.  Can't see how it would be a bad thing - player gets back in shape, gets his timing back without hurting the main squad, and suddently the D-League's got a huge attraction for at least a couple nights.

The only argument I can think of against this is that players might be worried they'd be "assigned for injury rehab" as a punishment, but I don't think that'd really happen. 

I agree - something for NBA second-rounders to be able to stick.  My idealm using Lester Hudson as an example.  Let us sign him to a one-year DL contract.  Probably not full NBA dollars, but something more than the $19k or whatever that DL players make.  Put a finite life on it; at some point, the player has to make the big club or they become a free agent.  Maybe a two-year maximum before they have to be promoted.

Player doesn't count against the 15-man roster unless they call him up.  Maybe a maximum of two players like this per squad. 

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I just don't see the drawback.  2nd round picks would become more valuable.  There will be more jobs.  Teams would have more time to develop players. 

I still want to see them raise the age limit another 2 years.  Let these guys go play in college or overseas.  I want better prepared players in the league and I want better scouted draft picks that we might have a better clue who they are. 

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 01:46:36 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I think players can currently go to the D-League, with their consent, for rehab assignments.  No wonder that zero players have volunteered for this option, since they have much to lose if they get punked by DL guys, and little to gain.  Either the injured player is a star that could rehab off the NBA bench against 2nd units, or they're role players that can rehab in practice until they're ready.

The dropoff in talent from the NBA to the DL is incredibly severe.  Players with real NBA skills would be a bit out of place there.  This will be the case until DL pay gets better and Euro players, or at least college players not drafted, come/stay to play there.

This is why the idea of NBA teams subsidizing the DL by paying the contracts of DL players, their 2nd round picks, makes so much sense.  I think once NBA teams get their own DL affiliates permanently, as a genuine minor league, this will happen.  It just hasn't evolved that far yet.

Visionaries, all of us.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
I wouldn't even mind seeing some nba veterans who aren't quite good enough to stick in the nba down in the d-league.  Seems to me these kind of guys could be good mentors for the young kids.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think players can currently go to the D-League, with their consent, for rehab assignments.  No wonder that zero players have volunteered for this option, since they have much to lose if they get punked by DL guys, and little to gain.  Either the injured player is a star that could rehab off the NBA bench against 2nd units, or they're role players that can rehab in practice until they're ready.

No, they can't.

And Elton Brand wanted to do it last season, but the current rules don't allow it.

This is why the idea of NBA teams subsidizing the DL by paying the contracts of DL players, their 2nd round picks, makes so much sense.  I think once NBA teams get their own DL affiliates permanently, as a genuine minor league, this will happen.  It just hasn't evolved that far yet.

Visionaries, all of us.

This already happens. It's the new hybrid affiliation model, where the NBA franchise controls (and pays for) the basketball operations of it's D-League affiliate. The only team going that way so far was the Houston Rockets (with the Rio Grande Vipers). The new Frisco franchise will also follow that model (Dallas Mavericks).

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Gregg Popovich | Spurs
Top Email

A team, per the collective bargaining agreement, can only send a player in his first two years in the NBA to the D-League. Spurs head coach Gregg Popvich would like to see that rule changed so that players who miss most of their rookie or second season could be sent down in their third season, even though they are beyond the two-year rule.

"I don't see any downside for a player to be able to go play," Popovich San Antonio Express-News. "It just seems to be a good thing. This is a real good start, what we've done (with the D-League). Perhaps we can refine it a little more now moving forward."

I like the idea of giving young players more time to develop.  It can only make the NBA product better.

I like Popovich's idea too. I'd change the rule to something like:

- every player is eligible to play in the D-League for the first season of his first NBA contract or, if under a rookie scale contract, for the first 2 seasons of that contract or until he reaches 1,000 minutes in NBA games.

I think the players' union would buy something like this.

For example, I think it would be good if teams could sign 2nd round picks to non-NBA contracts that allows them to send them to the DL for a year without them counting against the teams 15 man roster (extra jobs for NBA players) 

What do you mean by non-NBA contracts? If you mean D-League contracts, I think that would be immaterial - in fact, it would be counter-productive. 2nd rounders not signed to NBA contracts who are willing to play in the D-League are already there. Allowing NBA teams to retain their draft rights would make the D-League less attractive to them, not more.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
In my opinion every player in your roster should be eligible to play in the D-League.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Gregg Popovich | Spurs
Top Email

I like Popovich's idea too. I'd change the rule to something like:

- every player is eligible to play in the D-League for the first season of his first NBA contract or, if under a rookie scale contract, for the first 2 seasons of that contract or until he reaches 1,000 minutes in NBA games.

I think the players' union would buy something like this.

What do you mean by non-NBA contracts? If you mean D-League contracts, I think that would be immaterial - in fact, it would be counter-productive. 2nd rounders not signed to NBA contracts who are willing to play in the D-League are already there. Allowing NBA teams to retain their draft rights would make the D-League less attractive to them, not more.

The difference is that the team drafting them would still own their rights for that player.  Maybe includes a team option for year two which would be an NBA contract.  Have this deal pay more then a regular D-League contract.