Poll

What is the hardest thing to do in sports?

Returning a 130 mph serve in tennis
4 (11.8%)
Hitting a baseball
12 (35.3%)
Making an alley-oop
4 (11.8%)
Making a save as a hockey goalie
2 (5.9%)
Stopping a penalty kick in soccer
10 (29.4%)
Sinking a 15 foot+ putt
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: What is the hardest thing to do in sports?  (Read 15190 times)

What is the hardest thing to do in sports?
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:45:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
The debate in the "Hardest sport to go pro in" has brought up the hardest thing to do in professional sports. 

I just threw a few options up from that thread but please make suggestions and i will amend the poll options.  Its still early and my mind isn't clicking on all cylinders for ideas.

PLEASE NOTE:

Also, my one criteria is that the act be a regular occurence in the sport.  So no unassisted triple plays or 65 yard soccer goals or things of that nature.  Things than can happen but are not regularly inherent in the game.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:01:40 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: What is the hardest thing to do in sports?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3782
  • Yup
I voted for making the save on a penalty kick. It's not that hard if you guess right I suppose, but I'm not sure that you can acquire an actual skill to cover that much space in so little time.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:53:33 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
We need a stat guru on this thread.  For example, what percentage of penalty kicks are stopped, verses what percentage of baseballs hit no higher than 1 foot over the wall are caught?

What percentage of pitched baseballs are hit fair?

Etc...

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Hmmm, this is tough.  I think all of them, except the Alley-oop can be done (at least in low frequency, but it could be done) by anyone reasonably coordinated, who practices a lot, while an Alley-oop you need more physical talent to be able to pull it off even once...but you wouldn't necessarily need as much practice.  

So really, this all really depends on your definition of "hard".  

Anyways, if I had to choose, I would go with hitting a baseball.  I think that takes the most work and skill to actually be able to do, since even an incredibly athletic person could not just step up to the plate without ever holding a bat before and do it, while I think someone who is athletic could do most of those other things without a ton of training (OK, the ice skates add a bit of a twist, but I still take baseball).

BTW, I think a much more telling question would be which is the most difficult thing to do CONSISTENTLY.  In which case, I would also add in hitting a 15 foot putt.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I said in the other thread, I don't think it's right to compare a skill you have to have to play a game with individual plays. You HAVE to be able to hit a ball to make it in the pros in baseball. All the rest of those things you listed are individual plays. Hitting a baseball is a skill.

How about you change it to hitting a knuckleball.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
As I said in the other thread, I don't think it's right to compare a skill you have to have to play a game with individual plays. You HAVE to be able to hit a ball to make it in the pros in baseball. All the rest of those things you listed are individual plays. Hitting a baseball is a skill.

I think returning a serve is a skill.  While you may get lucky more than you would in baseball, it is very difficult to consistently return a serve, and get it in (and ideally in a good position, so you don't just lose the point on the next shot).

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 11:05:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Added the putt option, Chris.

As someone who love golf, I can't believe I forgot to throw out a golf option. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 11:09:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think returning a serve is a skill.  While you may get lucky more than you would in baseball, it is very difficult to consistently return a serve, and get it in (and ideally in a good position, so you don't just lose the point on the next shot).
You didn't say "Return a serve". You said return a 130MPH serve. Not every serve is 130MPH. Most aren't in pro tennis. A 130MPH serve return is an individual play. How many 130 MPH serves are out and then the server then serves a 80 MPH serve with spin in order to get the ball in and not double fault? Happens all the time. How many but the very very best women can serve over 130MPH? How about the men? Returning a 130MPH serve is an individual play, not a skill.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
It has to be hitting a baseball.  Most hitters who go up to the plate 100 times, fail 65 or more, (by fail I mean do not get on base) meaning there is a less then 35% success rate for most hitters.  Going and getting an alley oop isn't the hard part, the hard part is making the pass.  I just don't think there's even a question about it.  For a 95 mph fastball, a hitter has .4 seconds to react.  That's INSANE.  
do it

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 11:11:09 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
Can't all of these things be considered and should be skills? 
do it

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

Yea I agree with returning a 130mph serve.  As I stated in the previous thread.  You have so much room for error including as you stated where the ball goes inbound, and how the return (good or bad) sets up the servers second hit.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 11:12:33 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
It has to be hitting a baseball.  Most hitters who go up to the plate 100 times, fail 65 or more, (by fail I mean do not get on base) meaning there is a less then 35% success rate for most hitters.  Going and getting an alley oop isn't the hard part, the hard part is making the pass.  I just don't think there's even a question about it.  For a 95 mph fastball, a hitter has .4 seconds to react.  That's INSANE.  

Alley oop gets a bit harder if you consider people who can't dunk...  ;D

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:14:27 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker

You didn't say "Return a serve". You said return a 130MPH serve. Not every serve is 130MPH. Most aren't in pro tennis. A 130MPH serve return is an individual play. How many 130 MPH serves are out and then the server then serves a 80 MPH serve with spin in order to get the ball in and not double fault? Happens all the time. How many but the very very best women can serve over 130MPH? How about the men? Returning a 130MPH serve is an individual play, not a skill.

You're arguing semantics, so you need to have a good amount of 'play' to hit a serve that fast?  How is it not a skill to hit a serve that fast, what is it luck?

Also the poll says "hitting a baseball" I can hit a baseball 100% of the time...off a tee.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I was going to go with the serve but then decided it was the soccer goal.

the serve is difficult, but at the same time, the 130mph serves dont have side to side spin, most often, top spin or no spin.  realistically, it is going in one of two places, backhand or forhand (and I would bet it is usually forhand). 

it can be returned by simply getting your racket on the ball (not easy, but the question said nothing about the quality of return).

for the soccer save, we are talking about left, right, middle, high low.  and there really is no way to know which side has a greater chance, like the tennis serve going more often to the forhand. 

thats my opinion, I am sure people will have some good counterarguments

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
I was going to go with the serve but then decided it was the soccer goal.

the serve is difficult, but at the same time, the 130mph serves dont have side to side spin, most often, top spin or no spin.  realistically, it is going in one of two places, backhand or forhand (and I would bet it is usually forhand). 

it can be returned by simply getting your racket on the ball (not easy, but the question said nothing about the quality of return).

for the soccer save, we are talking about left, right, middle, high low.  and there really is no way to know which side has a greater chance, like the tennis serve going more often to the forhand. 

thats my opinion, I am sure people will have some good counterarguments

yeah I had issues choosing between the soccer goal and baseball.  I'd like to see the save percentages of most goalies on PKs, they cannot be too high.
do it