Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 980931 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1530 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:01 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
21 Jump Street.

Solid, made me chuckle a bit but the story is really good.

Although, I only watched it because of Brie Larson, my Envy Adams.
Just a warning.  I didn't see the rating on this movie before my husband and I took the 14 year old boy he is mentoring.  We had seen fairly innocuous trailers the week before. 

The three of us waltzed up to the ticket counter, purchased tickets and walked in.  The movie opened...bad language  abounded.  I turned red, and started breathing fire.  My  husband said it was bound to calm down...I went to the lobby.t

At the lobby they were turning away older teens saying under 21 not allowd in without parents, and they had to actually SIT with the parents! (No one at the ticket counter had warned us.)

I went back in and dragged them out (my husband, looking very embarrassed, said I  did the right thing).  We got our money back, and apologies.  We also had a little talk with Jake about   peer pressure and using your own good sense and removing yourself from uncomfortable situations.  I am still pretty ticked off...both because we didn't do our homework, and because the theater didn't warn us.

I don't understand how anyone can get past the language to say that the movie was humorous in any way.  Just my opinion.

You deserve a TP for that.
I remember when my father pulled me and my siblings out of a movie when we were kids. I was embarassed by it at the time, but still think back on that from time to time. It was one of the many ways that he showed he cared about me all the time.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1531 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Most recent movie:
Biutiful.
5 out of 5 stars.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1532 on: April 17, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand how anyone can get past the language to say that the movie was humorous in any way.  Just my opinion.

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on it specifically.  In general, though, sometimes the shock value of language makes things funny in its own right.  Obviously, it's not for everybody, but George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and Eddie Murphy (among many others) used over the top language to become very successful.

There's a time and a place for bad language, in my opinion.  I've got no problem with adults swearing with their friends in appropriate venues.  I don't like seeing people swear with children around, or in most public places where there's mixed company (bars being an exception).  At the same time, I tip my cap to people who don't swear under any circumstances.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1533 on: April 17, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Hugo Cabret. I liked it.

« Reply #1534 on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 622
Legion-Just a horrible movie. It was so bad, I called FX and asked if they could give me 2 hours of my life back.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #1535 on: April 17, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on it specifically.  In general, though, sometimes the shock value of language makes things funny in its own right.  Obviously, it's not for everybody, but George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and Eddie Murphy (among many others) used over the top language to become very successful.

There's a time and a place for bad language, in my opinion.  I've got no problem with adults swearing with their friends in appropriate venues.  I don't like seeing people swear with children around, or in most public places where there's mixed company (bars being an exception).  At the same time, I tip my cap to people who don't swear under any circumstances.

Personally sometimes life is stressful and I enjoy watching crude humor that allows my brain to shut down and lets me act like a 13 year old for a couple of hours.  I think 21 Jump Street allowed me to do that, I thought it was better than I anticipated.

That said I also wouldnt feel comfortable being there with a 14 year old boy i was mentoring so good job for taking one for the team and leaving.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1536 on: April 17, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Also, I went to see hunger games this past weekend with the GF, wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1537 on: April 17, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Saw 21 Jump Street last night also. I almost started crying during Phase 2 of Jonah Hill's drug experience. Oh man...just nuts.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1538 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:44 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Frankly, I can't believe they gave you your money back.  The TV ads said the movie was rated R.  I'm sure the theatre had the movie listed as rated R.  That should be more than enough to tell someone they shouldn't bring children to the movie.  I find it laughable to expect the cashier at a movie theatre to take the time to size up a family he knows nothing about and give his/her opinion as to whether or not you should bring a kid to that movie or not.

Not to mention if the cashier says that to the wrong person, they could end up on the wrong end of a "nanny state" tirade  :P

« Reply #1539 on: April 17, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Frankly, I can't believe they gave you your money back.  The TV ads said the movie was rated R.  I'm sure the theatre had the movie listed as rated R.  That should be more than enough to tell someone they shouldn't bring children to the movie.  I find it laughable to expect the cashier at a movie theatre to take the time to size up a family he knows nothing about and give his/her opinion as to whether or not you should bring a kid to that movie or not.

Not to mention if the cashier says that to the wrong person, they could end up on the wrong end of a "nanny state" tirade  :P
I realize that I am completely out of touch with how things should be handled.  My husband called me from the theater and said hurry and join them, they were going to a show...so I jumped in the car and went.  I also admitted that in this case I did not do my homework.

That said, the theater is a supporter of Big Brothers/Big Sisters (the mentoring program we are associated with).  There are a lot of perverts in the world preying on young kids.  The theater had no problem carding people who appeared closer to, or under the age of 21 to tell them they couldn't go in without a parent, and then they had to sit with the parent.  I still feel they could have mentioned it...

That said
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #1540 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I take TB's view on this one ... the MPAA rates the movies, and it's up to the theaters to see to it that the ratings are adhered to, (which they do an extremely poor job of, in my opinion, urged on by ticket sales and those horrendously inflated concession prices)... if it's not the responsibility of the ticket person/theater employee to make sure children are not admitted to R-rated movies, whose is it?

The parent/guardian on one end, yes, but ultimately it's the people showing the film that enforce the ratings. If not, then any kid can walk in off the street to see a movie of any rating, and if that's the case then there's no need for ratings in the first place. Also, if I were the movie theater, I would refund the ticket price, regardless of who's right or wrong ... that's just good business.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1541 on: April 17, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I take TB's view on this one ... the MPAA rates the movies, and it's up to the theaters to see to it that the ratings are adhered to, (which they do an extremely poor job of, in my opinion, urged on by ticket sales and those horrendously inflated concession prices)... if it's not the responsibility of the ticket person/theater employee to make sure children are not admitted to R-rated movies, whose is it?

The parent/guardian on one end, yes, but ultimately it's the people showing the film that enforce the ratings. If not, then any kid can walk in off the street to see a movie of any rating, and if that's the case then there's no need for ratings in the first place. Also, if I were the movie theater, I would refund the ticket price, regardless of who's right or wrong ... that's just good business.

I hear ya bahku, but if I understand this situation correctly, the theater was id'ing kids trying to go in by themselves, but not kids with parents or people above 21.  In this case the theater was following the rules as they are outlined.  So the question at hand is whether or not the movie theater employees should make suggestions to those above 21 brinign in younger children to movies.

But when it comes down to it I also think TB should have gotten her money back, its not like the theater incurred any exta costs by letting them in in the first place.

« Reply #1542 on: April 17, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

But in this case, the minor was with an adult guardian, so according to the rating system, they should not have refused entry.  If the kid had come on his own, then by all means refuse the sale of the ticket.  Since the 14 year old was with an adult, the cashier would have to use their discretion if they wanted to say something.  In TBs case, they would have been grateful for the heads up, but I can see others making a huge stink about having their judgement questioned.  And I know this is splitting hairs, but isn't it 18 years old, not 21?

In this case, I also would have refunded the money given that they left early in the movie, rather than trying to get a refund after sitting throught the whole thing.  I give TB credit for realizing their mistake, cutting their losses, and choosing to leave.

« Reply #1543 on: April 17, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Just to be clear before we actually get there..lets not allow this thread to turn into a diatribe on modern cinema moral standards, and ratings enforcement. Not what its for.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1544 on: April 17, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Sorry, IP.  I think the discussion is finished now anyway.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!