Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 981033 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1335 on: December 21, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Sherlock 2. Critics hated it, I loved it. Funny, action packed, and in the tradition of the first film, a freakin fantastic group of villains.

My wife and I saw it twice...  Like you, we absolutely loved it.  I'm a big SH fan, having read all the books and collect a lot of the pastiches and secondary authors writings.  I felt the movie had better dialogue than the first, a great storyline, LOVED Harris as Moriarty, had a faster paced story that moved across different terrain, and kicked the door wide open for a 3rd movie.  Again, just loved it!!!

« Reply #1336 on: December 21, 2011, 04:43:29 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Double Indemnity. Brilliant cast and film.

Glad to hear the positive reviews of Sherlock Holmes 2. Going to see it tonight.

« Reply #1337 on: December 21, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The Killer Inside Me with Casey Affleck and Jesseica Alba. Good film, well acted, well made, but pretty disturbing.

« Reply #1338 on: December 21, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
anyone else see Hugo?
Yup

« Reply #1339 on: December 21, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders

« Reply #1340 on: December 21, 2011, 07:14:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The Killer Inside Me with Casey Affleck and Jesseica Alba. Good film, well acted, well made, but pretty disturbing.
Not surprising, given how disturbing the book was.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1341 on: December 22, 2011, 02:25:35 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

After seeing the new adaptation of Stieg Larsson's novel, I am fairly confused. I do not know whether I prefer this version to the 2009 Swedish interpretation and I don't think I ever will know. David Fincher's direction is certainly better and I probably prefer the acting in this version more. Rooney Mara's portrayal of Lisbeth Salander did more for me and for the complexity of the character than did Noomi Rapace.

In this version Mikael and Lisbeth's stories are told separately for close to half of the movie before they converge.

Although Mikael and Lisbeth have a sexual encounter in both versions... the Hollywood film spins it into more of a love triangle subplot of sorts (Naturally). 

The scenes of torture and sexual abuse seem to be more overwhelming in this version... although my being more uncomfortable may have been due to seeing the film with my girlfriend who has not seen the original film and was seeing this grotesqueness for the first time.

The score was excellent... Trent Reznor delivered again following up his terrific score of Fincher's previous film, The Social Network.

The tone/mood in this version is on par with the original... dark, gloomy, uncomfortable, eerie... whatever you want to call it.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I expected the movie to be set in America for some reason. I didn't like at all that the movie was still set in Sweden yet the characters were speaking English. This held me back from being pulled into the story like I was with the original. I knew I was watching a movie. This movie easily could have been set in Alaska, Maine, Minnesota, etc... even Canada would have made more sense as some people in Canada speak English.

Both films are excellent in their own way. I think the original didn't really need to be improved dramatically so there weren't many changes. The success of the Americanization of this franchise will be judged more in depth by the finished product including "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" and "The Girl Who Played With Fire", neither of which received critical acclaim comparable to "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". I haven't heard anything about Hollywood producing remakes of the sequels but hopefully they do... or making this film was just silly and pointless.

Note: This is my first review in a long, long time. I'm pretty proud of the fact that I didn't use any sources other than my memory... I haven't regressed too much in my film review analyses.

Now for the trailers...

21 Jump Street: Looked to be a fairly amusing comedy starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum as poor cops turned undercover narcs sent to a high school pretending to be students. Jonah Hill looks like a convincing teenager again... Channing Tatum does not. The jokes weren't laugh out loud funny meaning it's simply not that funny, or for once a production company did the right thing by not putting the funniest scenes in the trailer for a comedy.

John Carter: Looked like garbage... Avatar mixed with the muppets in Return of the Jedi. No thank you.

Ghost Rider: As soon as I saw Nicholas Cage (The first 5 seconds of the trailer) I was immediately disinterested. I can't stand Nicholas Cage. My bias certainly isn't the only reason why this movie looks like it's going to suck. Trust me... it's going to suck.

Haywire: Ohhhh I get it Steven Soderbergh... let's just make "The Bourne Identity" and then substitute Jason Bourne with a female character... the audience will never know! Female action hero movies are becoming more and more popular as of late. I'll stick with the "Kill Bill" movies and "V for Vendetta"... even "Femme Fatale" is an excellent film in comparison to the likes of "Haywire" and "Salt".

Contraband: Mark Wahlberg has always been and will always be a bipolar actor. He literally alternates between making crappy action movies and making excellent dramatic films. His last movie was "The Fighter"... so you know exactly what kind of movie "Contraband" will be.

Gone: Amanda Seyfried isn't that bad of an actress... she had me more than convinced in "Chloe". Can somebody please give her a decent role? Looks like "Taken", if the girl in "Taken" was relying on her sister to find her and her kidnapper rather than her father.

The Devil Inside: If this doesn't end up being the scariest movie of all time then the trailer just trolled everybody who ends up seeing it. As you can assume from the title, this is an exorcism movie. Exorcisms scare me more than anything (Other than spiders). "The Exorcist" did nothing for me as I found it to be outdated and cheesy... sorry to anybody who considers it to be the scariest movie of all time like so many people do. I've never seen "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". At first I didn't see it because I was terrified by the trailer and then I didn't see it because I heard it sucked. I will see this movie even though the trailer was making me cringe. The fact that it takes place in Rome is awesome. The only negative already is that the film opens with a "Real 911 call" (Like so many thrillers these days do). People on the IMDb.com forums are already arguing whether or not the story is real.  ::) When will Hollywood stop saying their horror movies are real for shock value?

« Reply #1342 on: December 22, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
I agree Holmes 2 was excellent. I don't get the critic hate. Well acted, well paced film with a great storyline.

« Reply #1343 on: December 23, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Terribly Happy  (2008)

An immoral morality tale from a small town in Denmark.  Very creepy, in a Coen Brothers style creepy (like Fargo, Blood Simple, No Country for Old Men).   Very tight well-written story that draws you into its twists and turns, without ever going where you expect it to go.     

« Reply #1344 on: December 23, 2011, 03:06:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I watched Due Date last night.  I was expecting absolutely nothing from it, but it actually was pretty dang funny.  A lot better than some of the more hyped comedies (Hall Pass, etc.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1345 on: December 23, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Finally watched Soylent Green. Fun dystopia film. Nice furniture.

« Reply #1346 on: December 24, 2011, 01:23:12 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Tintin. Loved it. The first thing I'll do when I get home is to dig out my Tintin collection and read them all.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #1347 on: December 29, 2011, 11:55:32 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!

that movie~

« Reply #1348 on: December 30, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

Enjoyed it a lot. If Elizabeth Banks were my wife, I'd do a lot to free her too  ;)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #1349 on: December 30, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
Tintin. Loved it. The first thing I'll do when I get home is to dig out my Tintin collection and read them all.

saw this with my kids last night in 3-D.  Very fun movie.  I was not even familiar with Tin Tin prior to this. 
Yup