Author Topic: The Real Reason The Lakers Lost to Utah  (Read 6782 times)

Re: The Real Reason The Lakers Lost to Utah
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
The real reason?

Ouch, my fingie has a boo boo.

WES MATTHEWS!

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I actually watched the game. I hate to say it but the Lakers got screwed over. The first half they shot 60%, they outrebounded the Jazz, but they were down by like 6. The reason: 5 fouls called on Jazz, 16 called on Lakers. It was a really ugly game, the Jazz were fouling like crazy they just didn't call it. Anyway, it continued in the second half and you could tell the refs weren't allowing them to make any kind of push. Then Kobe started chucking. Really ugly game.

I watched the second half, and completely disagree with your observation.  There was a significant stretch when all the calls, really petty ones, went against the Jazz, allowing the Lakers to whittle the lead down from double digits to 3 or 4.  But DW took over, and Kobe could not do the same. 

Exactly you watched the second half. They always even out the fouls by the end of the game, so it seemed like Lakers got more calls the second half but the game was already over in the 3rd. When you call touch fouls on one team the whole game and let the other team get away with murder it changes things. Refs just take one team out of it then clean up the stats by the end of the game. I've been watching NBA games for 20+ years and I've seen these games a lot. The Celtics get screwed over too by the refs. It's part of the NBA.
Wait so the refs screwed the Lakers how by your logic? They were only down 6 at the half and got more calls in the second half than the Jazz, and yet still lost. I think the Lakers play overall is the reason they lost.

They shot worse than the Jazz from the field, from three, and from the charity stripe. They also only got a few more possessions than the Jazz overall, so they weren't able to overcome the gap in accuracy. You can't blame that on the refs.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »

Offline BigBaby

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
I actually watched the game. I hate to say it but the Lakers got screwed over. The first half they shot 60%, they outrebounded the Jazz, but they were down by like 6. The reason: 5 fouls called on Jazz, 16 called on Lakers. It was a really ugly game, the Jazz were fouling like crazy they just didn't call it. Anyway, it continued in the second half and you could tell the refs weren't allowing them to make any kind of push. Then Kobe started chucking. Really ugly game.

I watched the second half, and completely disagree with your observation.  There was a significant stretch when all the calls, really petty ones, went against the Jazz, allowing the Lakers to whittle the lead down from double digits to 3 or 4.  But DW took over, and Kobe could not do the same. 

Exactly you watched the second half. They always even out the fouls by the end of the game, so it seemed like Lakers got more calls the second half but the game was already over in the 3rd. When you call touch fouls on one team the whole game and let the other team get away with murder it changes things. Refs just take one team out of it then clean up the stats by the end of the game. I've been watching NBA games for 20+ years and I've seen these games a lot. The Celtics get screwed over too by the refs. It's part of the NBA.
Wait so the refs screwed the Lakers how by your logic? They were only down 6 at the half and got more calls in the second half than the Jazz, and yet still lost. I think the Lakers play overall is the reason they lost.

They shot worse than the Jazz from the field, from three, and from the charity stripe. They also only got a few more possessions than the Jazz overall, so they weren't able to overcome the gap in accuracy. You can't blame that on the refs.

More calls in the 4th when they had given up and it was clearly over. Jazz probably had 10 fouls called on them in the 4th and Lakers only 2 or so, but it was over already...Lakers starters being benched. It was simply to even out the stats. If you have league pass watch how silly the 4th is.

I think they were forced to start taking jumpshots though cause when their bigs pounded inside they were clearly fouled with no calls. Jazz have no interior presence...how would Boozer stop both Pau and Bynum? No way in hell. Bynum was put in foul trouble as well as Artest to take care of Lakers' strength. It was kind of funny. Believe me, I know how easy it is to throw games.

Either way, I don't care. We are now 1 game ahead of them.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

More calls in the 4th when they had given up and it was clearly over. Jazz probably had 10 fouls called on them in the 4th and Lakers only 2 or so, but it was over already...Lakers starters being benched. It was simply to even out the stats. If you have league pass watch how silly the 4th is.

I think they were forced to start taking jumpshots though cause when their bigs pounded inside they were clearly fouled with no calls. Jazz have no interior presence...how would Boozer stop both Pau and Bynum? No way in hell. Bynum was put in foul trouble as well as Artest to take care of Lakers' strength. It was kind of funny. Believe me, I know how easy it is to throw games.

Either way, I don't care. We are now 1 game ahead of them.
http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?date=20091212&game=LALUTH

You were right about 10 fouls on Utah in the 4th. But you're wrong about how the fourth quarter went. The Laker's had their starters in most of the period.

Also take a look at the FTs across the game. Pretty even.

Certainly how physical you're allowed to play can effect the game, but to say the refs caused the Lakers to win is silly.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am just happy the Celtics are the best team again (technically). Just before this game, I was watching something (maybe Barkley?) where the hosts were claiming the Lakers were easily the best team in the NBA. Seriously, that just seems like a ridiculous statement when a team is only one up in the loss column- nevermind the team behind them is rolling...

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 07:38:42 PM »

Offline BigBaby

• Kristaps Porzingis
Fafnir, you are right the Lakers didn't show poise to close out the game. I just think that even if they did it wouldn't have mattered. They certainly don't have an excuse.

There are a few non-elite teams that are really tough to play against on the road for every team: Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets, and probably the Cavs. These are teams with growing fan-bases conveniently enough. When they win against an elite team, it raises hype and profits. Look at the profit increases for these teams last year and look at their home records. They are uncharacteristically skewed.

Not to put any of these teams down, but they certainly get inflated records because they have a fan that has proven they will spend money if their team does well. I never look forward to the Cs playing any of these teams cause you just never know.

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
I wonder if Artest is gonna start drinknig at halftime again  ::)

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Fafnir, you are right the Lakers didn't show poise to close out the game. I just think that even if they did it wouldn't have mattered. They certainly don't have an excuse.

There are a few non-elite teams that are really tough to play against on the road for every team: Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets, and probably the Cavs. These are teams with growing fan-bases conveniently enough. When they win against an elite team, it raises hype and profits. Look at the profit increases for these teams last year and look at their home records. They are uncharacteristically skewed.

Not to put any of these teams down, but they certainly get inflated records because they have a fan that has proven they will spend money if their team does well. I never look forward to the Cs playing any of these teams cause you just never know.
Where are these "profit" increases?

If you're talking about attendance, that's correlated pretty well with how many games you win in most cities. Honestly it looks like to me you just named 4 of the top 7 home teams in the league last year and decided they must have achieved their records due to cheating.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »

Offline BigBaby

• Kristaps Porzingis

If you're talking about attendance, that's correlated pretty well with how many games you win in most cities. Honestly it looks like to me you just named 4 of the top 7 home teams in the league last year and decided they must have achieved their records due to cheating.

No not attendance, but actual franchise value growth (especially relative to other franchisees). Go look them up.

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 09:12:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

No not attendance, but actual franchise value growth (especially relative to other franchisees). Go look them up.
If you're going to make a conspiracy claim for the refs fixing home games to increase franchise value, you should be providing a the evidence.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:54 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I wonder if Artest is gonna start drinknig at halftime again  ::)

I didn't know he stopped.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson