Author Topic: Perk Fans?  (Read 10775 times)

Re: Perk Fans?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 02:15:44 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Perk is the most pleasant surprise for me this year ... I was seriously ready to trade him two summers ago, then last year he improved, and though I still had reservations, I no longer wanted to cut him loose ... but this year he's like a new man - losing weight, in better shape, moving faster, running the floor, quicker feet, not showing the ball to the defense or putting it on the floor before laying up, blocking shots like crazy - he's becoming a monster center and we would be very foolish to let him go. Like I said, I was ready to toss him two years ago, but now I just plain love the guy!

I echo those statements but the only thing I can add is..man I do not want to see his price tag when we resign him.

Yeah ... well-said and very true ... his improvement is certainly going to cost us. ;)

I reemmber when we resigned him I was saying "well if perkins is worth 5 million then...(something about how everyone else is underpaid)

He's looking at 10 million a year minimum now, and he's only a year away, right? maybe 2?

I hope we give him an extension next year; something a little bit less than Rondo's (let's say starting around $8 mil and going up to $11 or $12).

That would be nice, but I'm afraid that after seeing Rondo's contract, he's going to want similar ... ugh!

I dunno if it were 5 to 8 years ago maybe Perk could get that money (think Eric Dampier). I am not sure there will be a market for Perk to make that kind of money though. I think we can get him for less. If we do have to pay him though he certainly deserves it as he has worked very hard and shaped himself up to be quite the player.
Perk will easily get Rondo money when he resigns.  C's will most likely try to resign him after this year to keep him from getting a whiff of free agency where he'd certainly get more. 

He's a young center that plays top quality defense and has developed some offensive moves.  Very few of those in the game today and even less appear to be on the horizon in the next few years. 

I think you are jumping the gun a little bit if you think that Perk will easily get Rondo money.  Yes Perk has been great and I love him but I don't think he will easily get Rondo money. Thats like saying that if he got more that you wouldn't be surprised and I'd be shocked if he got more than that. I think the problem with Perk, as far as free agency and the market, is that other teams don't see the value that we see in Perk. We watch him under a microscope constantly so we know all the little things that he does well. Not sure if all the other GM's around the league see as much value in Perk as we do. It also seems like GM's tend to look toward the more athletic players and the ones the have "star" potential. I'm not sure if Perk has that "star" potential. To me he is just an absolutely solid NBA center and top 3 defensive center in the league. With him getting limited touches it will keep him out of the limelight a bit which will benefit us, but not him as much. I believe that Perk could definitely become an all star center at some point I'm just not sure if the rest of the league believes that. I DO hope that Perk gets the money he deserves though. Not sure if anyone has worked as hard as he has over the past 5 years in the entire NBA

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 07:56:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Perk is the most pleasant surprise for me this year ... I was seriously ready to trade him two summers ago, then last year he improved, and though I still had reservations, I no longer wanted to cut him loose ... but this year he's like a new man - losing weight, in better shape, moving faster, running the floor, quicker feet, not showing the ball to the defense or putting it on the floor before laying up, blocking shots like crazy - he's becoming a monster center and we would be very foolish to let him go. Like I said, I was ready to toss him two years ago, but now I just plain love the guy!

I echo those statements but the only thing I can add is..man I do not want to see his price tag when we resign him.

Yeah ... well-said and very true ... his improvement is certainly going to cost us. ;)

I reemmber when we resigned him I was saying "well if perkins is worth 5 million then...(something about how everyone else is underpaid)

He's looking at 10 million a year minimum now, and he's only a year away, right? maybe 2?

I hope we give him an extension next year; something a little bit less than Rondo's (let's say starting around $8 mil and going up to $11 or $12).

That would be nice, but I'm afraid that after seeing Rondo's contract, he's going to want similar ... ugh!

I dunno if it were 5 to 8 years ago maybe Perk could get that money (think Eric Dampier). I am not sure there will be a market for Perk to make that kind of money though. I think we can get him for less. If we do have to pay him though he certainly deserves it as he has worked very hard and shaped himself up to be quite the player.
Perk will easily get Rondo money when he resigns.  C's will most likely try to resign him after this year to keep him from getting a whiff of free agency where he'd certainly get more. 

He's a young center that plays top quality defense and has developed some offensive moves.  Very few of those in the game today and even less appear to be on the horizon in the next few years. 

I think you are jumping the gun a little bit if you think that Perk will easily get Rondo money.  Yes Perk has been great and I love him but I don't think he will easily get Rondo money. Thats like saying that if he got more that you wouldn't be surprised and I'd be shocked if he got more than that. I think the problem with Perk, as far as free agency and the market, is that other teams don't see the value that we see in Perk. We watch him under a microscope constantly so we know all the little things that he does well. Not sure if all the other GM's around the league see as much value in Perk as we do. It also seems like GM's tend to look toward the more athletic players and the ones the have "star" potential. I'm not sure if Perk has that "star" potential. To me he is just an absolutely solid NBA center and top 3 defensive center in the league. With him getting limited touches it will keep him out of the limelight a bit which will benefit us, but not him as much. I believe that Perk could definitely become an all star center at some point I'm just not sure if the rest of the league believes that. I DO hope that Perk gets the money he deserves though. Not sure if anyone has worked as hard as he has over the past 5 years in the entire NBA
I understand what you're saying but I disagree completely.  Perk plays a position that's hard to fill with quality players.  he's shown he can more than hold his own against the top centers in the league.  His defense and rebounding are solid---borderline allstar calibur in that regard.  His offense continues to develop-->each year he learns to address his flaows and develop a new move or two.  That will definitely net him $10 mill per year if he hits the free agent market after next year.  Take a look at what other centers are making in the league that are not as good as he is and you'll see he'd be considered well worth that level of pay.

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 08:55:10 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Perk is not going to get close to Rondo money.  Rondo is looked at as just scratching the surface of his potential and Perk is looked at as more of a finished product.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Perk is not going to get close to Rondo money.  Rondo is looked at as just scratching the surface of his potential and Perk is looked at as more of a finished product.
Erick Dampier, Diop, Gortat, etc.....

Big men get overpaid, it happens over and over again.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 09:48:55 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Perk may get payed like Gortat and Diop but thats still a lot less than Rondo.  He's not going to get Dampier money.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Perk may get payed like Gortat and Diop but thats still a lot less than Rondo.  He's not going to get Dampier money.
But you have to acknowledge that big men get huge contracts all the time, especially young big men.

Blount, Bogut, Chandler, etc.....

The list goes on and on as you go back through the history of the league.

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
It's bad form I know, I gotta blow my own horn.  Excerpts from a letter I wrote to Kendrick Perkins:

"You have shown flashes of a defensive tenacity and a will to win that can make you a dominant player in the NBA...I do not doubt that by your example and leadership you could instill in your teammates the toughness and pride in shutting down the other team that is absolutely necessary for a championship team."

The letter is dated November 7, 2006
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:21 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Relative to what other big men are earning and producing I  think he deserves at least double what he's earning now. Especially since I believe he's going to get better. From what I've seen of his drive and ability to constantly improve I'm sure he'll be working on the skills that make him even more valuable to us.

The owners have shown they don't mind having 3 max contracts at the same time to build a contender. If they have a solid post- Big 3 plan to stay competitive that involves Perk then they could pay him similar to Rondo if they're worried about losing him.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 10:24:28 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
But you have to acknowledge that big men get huge contracts all the time, especially young big men.

Big and small guys have gotten inflated contracts- Luke Ridnour, Mike James, Troy Hudson, Bobby Simmons, Beno Udrich, etc.  I agree that some of the bigs seem like total stiffs after they sign( Blount, James from NY, Dalembert).  Bogut and Chandler seem hugely overpaid now, but their contracts didn't seem so ridiculous when they signed.  But Chandler regressed and Bogut stopped improving.  And both stopped showing up for work on a regular basis.

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Big and small guys have gotten inflated contracts- Luke Ridnour, Mike James, Troy Hudson, Bobby Simmons, Beno Udrich, etc.  I agree that some of the bigs seem like total stiffs after they sign( Blount, James from NY, Dalembert).  Bogut and Chandler seem hugely overpaid now, but their contracts didn't seem so ridiculous when they signed.  But Chandler regressed and Bogut stopped improving.  And both stopped showing up for work on a regular basis.
If Gortat can command full MLE in a deflated FA market, Perk would easily get an offer of $10 mill per year.   Barring injury (obviously), if Perk isn't offered a deal that averages that much per year or better, I'll be man enough to step up and admit I was wrong but I'm very confident I don't have to worry about that.  He's well worth that money, no argument that he's not, particularly in consideration of all the other sorry-ass center wanna-be's that get paid 6-9 mill that aren't close to Perk's abilities.

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He keeps playing like he did in the first quarter and he'll get paid. 

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Still chandler led the league in offensive rebounding at one point and was 2nd in rebounding overall. Potential wise I could see how someone could make that mistake of signing him. Perk's rebound numbers have never really been close to that. Not that that should make that big a difference but i think it does. Also Bogut was a number 1 pick in the draft and people will always overpay for that number 1 pick because there is always some supposed potential of him being a star. Perk wasn't a lottery pick so he kinda gets lost in the discussion a little IMO. I can't really say anything about blount and I don't know what his contract was but there is no excuse for signing him to anything. I think we will pay Perk some decent money but I think since his numbers don't exactly jump off the page that he most certainly won't get "Rondo" money. Whether that's because of our system or because he is our "5th" option on the team is  irrelevant. Whether he deserves more is  irrelevant. I just don't see the Celts giving huge money to Perk. Somethin in the 10 mil range might be possible. I would severely doubt anything more than that though

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 10:20:57 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
While I love Perk and applaud his recent success, I have to back up a bit when talking about his future contracts based on current performance. Simply put, Perk would not have the numbers he has without playing next to the big three and Sheed. When he shows the ability (like Rondo did last year in the playoffs) to take over and dominate the game against quality competition at will.....I will be the first to say give him a well deserved 10 million per contract.

For now I will just enjoy watching and cheering for a gutsy, no nonsense, hardworking, lunch pail guy who leaves it on the floor every single nite.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Perk's contract ran out this year instead of next year, he would be taking home an easy 5 year/$60-$75 million contract. Easy.

Where his contract runs out the year after and not knowing what the market will look like after everybody gorges themselves on this year's crop of free agents, the economy being unknown and going into a possible lockout....maybe he won't see anything close to that then.

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
While I love Perk and applaud his recent success, I have to back up a bit when talking about his future contracts based on current performance. Simply put, Perk would not have the numbers he has without playing next to the big three and Sheed. When he shows the ability (like Rondo did last year in the playoffs) to take over and dominate the game against quality competition at will.....I will be the first to say give him a well deserved 10 million per contract.

For now I will just enjoy watching and cheering for a gutsy, no nonsense, hardworking, lunch pail guy who leaves it on the floor every single nite.

I don't know, right now Perk looks like he could get it done (at least 10/10/2 kind of numbers) against quality competition even without the Big 3.  In fact, he'd be getting more touches down low without the big 3, so the scoring could be even higher.  Most of the passes he gets into the post are from Rondo anyway.  Rondo and Perk are a very effective combo and I think the Celtics will pay top dollar to keep them together.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers